I started this kit probably 10+ years ago and was going to scratch build an interior. After cutting the cargo doors off & losing interest, I changed my mind.....sealing it up and back to square one.

Markings will be Altus AFB using Draw Decal Air guard & AETC units

repair-01.jpg

Edited by drhornii
Hey drhornii, any updates for the c-5?

Got the cargo door all glued shut & starting to sand the seams, still need to fill. All the reinforcement strips are in. Talk about a PITA! I started working on the Galaxy then I hear a voice from the other room "come help me paint the kitchen, the living room, do the dishes.......you spend too much time in the hobby room.....and I reply, are there any Oprah shows recorded? Not a good response.

The Draw decals made it in though! superb looking decals.

Slow progress, working on other stuff as well....

Cargo door all sealed up, used Sculpt putty which does not sand very easily but will be stiff nough to get a good scribed line for door seams.

C-5-cargodoor-sealed-01.jpg

Engines were blanked off on the bypass section so I opened that up but now there is a gaping hole to the fan. I made a master to continue the core cowl to the back of the fan and cast 4 parts.

C-5-eng-01.jpg

C-5-eng-02.jpg

Good work drhornii. Getting down and dirty with the details. Color scheme yet?

Plain old AMC gray, using Draw Decal sheet which has the scheme used when the C-5's left Altus a few years ago.

Just sealed up the nose now so I am getting close on returning the fuselage back to original...that Apoxie is hard stuff to sand but is rock hard which is needed in this area.

C-5-LH-side.jpg

C-5-nose-RH.jpg

C-5-nose.jpg

Edited by drhornii
  • 2 weeks later...

The beast is primed. Sealing the doors shut, filling gaps on wings & all the misfits on the engines is tough. At least the kit has recessed panel lines....

C-5_primed-01.jpg

The plug (eliminates flat blocked off section on bypass duct) with all gaps filled & primed.

Engine-05.jpg

Engine-06.jpg

Edited by drhornii

Any chance of getting a set of those engine inserts??? A buddy gave me a rough build up - and I'm pretty much at the same stage you are. I'm missing a set of engine fan blades, and I never liked the closed over aft end of the cowling. If you're willing, please let me know offline.

Best regards,

Hitch

GEH737@gmail.com

Edited by GEH737
  • 3 weeks later...