F-15J Special

Further to that video, it was shooted on the day the Anniversary ceremony was held (most interesting point to me was this 302SQ bird with 305SQ tail markings ;) ). And just a day before, March 06, 8SQ out of Misawa AB said goodbye to their Phantoms :) (all 3 FS outfits are F-2 customers now; let's hope someone on high levels is thinking of resurrecting the FS Section of the Senkyo)

Edited by tengu

I little bit off-topic, but somehow related to JASDF Eagles, the type will practice DACT with F-22s out of Kadena AFB, from 13 to 19 this month. 6WG assets from Komatsu AB will deploy to Naha AB to that end, and I feel local 204SQ Eagles are scheduled to take part too :(

It seems I needed to open them in IE (I usually use Firefox) but the linked images are the same size as the ones on the main page. Is that how they look to everyone?

Cheers,

Motty.

I just came back from a nice week of spotting at Hyakuri.

The distance to the runway there is unchallenged, maybe even a bit too close for the take-offs.

Unfortunately the sunny moments were quite rare, but the special coloured F-15J was flying three times a day, thus increasing the chances to get some nice shots:

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/32691/L/J...-Eagle/22-8813/

And here is another view of a landing RF-4E:

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/32693/L/J...tom-II/57-6907/

Additionally the last 4 F-4EJs of 302 Hikotai arrived on Friday, 13th. With the arrival of 8 aircraft the day before they have now completely switched their homebase. Full flight activity should however not start before the beginning of April:

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/32692/L/J...tom-II/67-8390/

Regards

Andreas

A few questions :

when does the F-15J kai come into service?

why are there 2 types of the F-15J kai?

When will AAM-4s and AAM-5s come into service for the F-15J and F-2?

thank you and forgive my stupidity!

F-15J Kais have already started to come into service - Tengu posted some pics of 306 Hikotai birds last year. The decision on the F-4 replacement was postponed from 2008 to 2009 to (ostensibly) fund more F-15 conversions this year.

Don't know about AAM-4 & 5 in service dates. I've only seen them on APW F-15s so far.

FWIW

I am building a 1/32 F-104, I went to the net for inspiration and put together a what if custom JASDAF paint scheme with a Okinawan dragon scrawled across the back and the head coming over the Right side.

As soon as I get the plane done, I will be showing pics, but my son thinks it rocks!

F-15J Kais have already started to come into service - Tengu posted some pics of 306 Hikotai birds last year. The decision on the F-4 replacement was postponed from 2008 to 2009 to (ostensibly) fund more F-15 conversions this year.

Can you post the link to the pictures? I can't find it :thumbsup:

Please post other links of operational F-15J kais. Thanks!

Can you post the link to the pictures? I can't find it :woot.gif:

Please post other links of operational F-15J kais. Thanks!

First F-15Kai are already in service with 6WG/Komatsu AB.

Here's a pic of a 306SQ machine. If you look to the inner right wing pylon you will note this bird is toting an AAM-5 training round (that missile has entered service along with the Kai)

This particular bird is one of the Eagles sent to Naha AB to 'fight' those Raptors in the coming days (note the pair of AAM-5)

947 (2)

This one belongs to 303SQ

As you can see, all Kai delivered are finished in 'Model I' standard, lacking the internal EW system as fitted in the 2nd protoype (F-15J 942)

Quick question, aside from the blister on the intake side, how else can you recognise a Kai?

As 6329tsur put it, for the 'model II', twin J/APR-4Kai tail antennae is the fastest way. Also, If you look hard you will note that the J/ALQ-8 horn antennae (not fitted to all F-15s, tough) are missing under the intakes mouths.

'Model I' is almost impossible to tell apart from the standar J, unless seen from the right side, when the missing 'hole' (for the air cond?) is visible behind the cockpit.

Edited by tengu