Hi Guys

I started on the tailboom drive shaft. Ray supplied the awesome photo of the first Huey.

I will keep the suspense going and not post photos of the work yet......Is that wrong!!!!!!LOL

Stay tuned.

Oliver

No, it's OK. We don't want/need your pics ... OF COURSE IT'S WRONG!!! :sunrevolves:

No suspense: pics right here and now!

Great work, BTW! It's all about the details ...

Final update of the week. Back to work tomorrow.

This is the first try of the drive shaft. I still have to connect everything and add all the attachements to secure all the hardware. Once again this work was made possible with the help of Rotorwash. Thanks.

Here are some photos of the beginning. I am hoping that I wont have to redo it too many times.???????

Oliver

medevachuey1811.jpg

medevachuey1813.jpg

medevachuey1814.jpg

medevachuey1815.jpg

medevachuey1816.jpg

medevachuey1817.jpg

medevachuey1819.jpg

It can't be that hard: it's just a few brass and plastic pieces put together ... problem is HOW to put them together to get such results.

Splendid!

WIN! Comparing the model to the photo on the previous page I'd have to agree that you've got it. Nice job on preserving all those delicate raised rivets- another testiment to your skills. Thanks for the inspiration, brother!

Cheers!

chuk

WIN! Comparing the model to the photo on the previous page I'd have to agree that you've got it. Nice job on preserving all those delicate raised rivets- another testiment to your skills. Thanks for the inspiration, brother!

Cheers!

chuk

Hi Chuck.

Thanks for that. Coming from you it means a lot. I know your work very well and your detail work on your models is exceptional.

Oliver

I want to know some stats at the end of this build. Namely things like how many #11 blades you used, how many sheets of brass and plastic, tubes of putty, etc... Dunno why this question just popped up in my noggin though.

As always, first rate work Oliver. Looks great.

Brandon

I want to know some stats at the end of this build. Namely things like how many #11 blades you used, how many sheets of brass and plastic, tubes of putty, etc... Dunno why this question just popped up in my noggin though.

As always, first rate work Oliver. Looks great.

Brandon

Hi Brandon

Thanks , Glad to hear you like the drive shaft.

Very good question. Let see!!!

I have used at least 300 #11 blades. Brass sheets in various sizes packs around 10 or so. I lost count on the brass tubes and rods but I have currently about 50 in my spare box. I have not got to the putty yet, I mostly use CA to gap fill. I usually use about hafl a bottle on a model from beginning to end.

Lets not talk about all the other stuff I buy as well like working with three Huey kits for starter...... The Huey has been a pricy project so far.

Oliver

Edited by shark 64

Hi

Weekly update.

I added some details to the driveshaft, I am trying to keep it as accurate as I can. I ordered a Punch and Die set from Micromark and it came in the mail today. I have to send it back because the smallest punch hole doesnt match with the top plate. I guess Ill use something else for the small rivets on the two rods on the drive shaft connectors..

See you next week.

I just went on scale rotors and took a look at the Skycrane build (all scratched) it is simply amazing modeling work..That modeler is so gifted.

Oliver

medevachuey1822.jpg

medevachuey1825.jpg

medevachuey1827.jpg

medevachuey1828.jpg

medevachuey1829.jpg

medevachuey1831.jpg

Yep its done.....

Got up early this morning to finish the drive shaft. 4 hours of modeling nonstop to get this one done....

For some reason the gearbox comes out a little too much from the wall and I dont know why....it worked before. Dont have the patience right now to look into it.

Anyway this is how it looks. I only hope I didnt not miscalculate the angle of the gearbox cause I would hate to do this one over......but I would.

Oliver

medevachuey1832.jpg

medevachuey1833.jpg

medevachuey1834.jpg

medevachuey1835.jpg

medevachuey1836.jpg

medevachuey1837.jpg

medevachuey1838.jpg

medevachuey1840.jpg

medevachuey1841.jpg

Blooming heck.... I need to move backup to 1:35th, 1:48th is just to small. How are you cutting those hex nuts Oliver ?

Again fantastic work

Andrew

Hi Andrew.

For my poor eyes 1/35 scale is it for me. For the Hex nuts i used a Punch and die set from Italy. I am sure you can find them here in the States.....worth every penny. They do wear off after a while (My eyes too).

Thanks for the kind words.

Oliver

That driveshaft is soooo cool! Oliver, you my friend are the master!!

From here forth, just assume I have posted this in reply to any updates..

:thumbsup: ;) ;) :o :cheers:

...I'm sure you get the idea, haha

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by blackhawk7
That driveshaft is soooo cool! Oliver, you my friend are the master!!

From here forth, just assume I have posted this in reply to any updates..

:whistle: :) :taunt: :o :taunt:

...I'm sure you get the idea, haha

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I do get the idea indeed. Thanks so much for the kind words.

I am afraid the gearbox angle is off....AAARGGHH!!! Got to redo it. It should not take that long.

Oliver.

Hi Guys

Yep its a new gearbox.

I had to dry-fit everything so I would not have any surprises once I started painting. I am glad I fixed the gearbox, it looks much closer to the backwall than the previous one. I did add a styrene ring around it to give it a little more shape. I had cut the previous gearbox at a 32 degres angle and the new one was cut at 21 degres.

So far everything looks pretty good however a slight elevation of the drive shaft connecting to the back of the fire wall...I think I can fix that problem.

Its going to be challenge painting this whole helo. I am thinking of painting the whole fuselage first then working on the engine/tail rotor/ drive shat last.

Oliver

PS thanks again for the support.....I am trying to get it finished.....

medevachuey1843.jpg

medevachuey1845.jpg

medevachuey1855.jpg

medevachuey1854.jpg

medevachuey1853.jpg

medevachuey1849.jpg

medevachuey1850.jpg

medevachuey1848.jpg

medevachuey1844.jpg

Uhmmm.......Oliver, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but hex bolt #32 on the drive shaft is a micro mm off! time to rip this apart and start over! While I'm here that exhaust frame looks like the *** end of a dead rhino! rip that sucker apart and start over too! Really Oliver if you are going to attempt something like this you should at least know what you are doing! CHRIST SON!!!!!! have a little modeling integrity and build something that at least looks like the real thing! :woot.gif: "that'll do pig...that'll do!"

Semper Fi

Dan

Uhmmm.......Oliver, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but hex bolt #32 on the drive shaft is a micro mm off! time to rip this apart and start over! While I'm here that exhaust frame looks like the *** end of a dead rhino! rip that sucker apart and start over too! Really Oliver if you are going to attempt something like this you should at least know what you are doing! CHRIST SON!!!!!! have a little modeling integrity and build something that at least looks like the real thing! :woot.gif: "that'll do pig...that'll do!"

Semper Fi

Dan

# 32 I thought i did fix # 32.....ARRRGHH!!! redoing it now.

Thanks Dan.

Oliver