The Eye in the Sky

Gents,

A few from me, mostly at Mildenhall. The Nato birds tend to come over here a fair bit for circuit practise, I just wish that anniversary aircraft would come over when I'm about!

'Shuck 80' on departure.

4992924965_c2a223d803_b.jpg

NATO E-3 on circuits same day.

4992924959_d3c6b853e9_b.jpg

Another NATO E-3 on overshoots.

2989533729_bcf3c6a84f_o.jpg

2989533715_b29b788d52_o.jpg

I recall somebody once saying there was a very specific reason why these had never been re-engined, although I can't remember why. 'Shuck 85' smoking in at Mildenhall on a cold winters day in February 2008.

2269848878_22079bd150_o.jpg

And catching some nice light.

2269847616_ff07e5e386_o.jpg

Finally, a RAF example trying to get into Waddington in heavy crosswinds during the joint British/Indian exercise in 2007. As of 2010, this airframe has been reduced to a spares source, sums in whats happening at the moment quite well unfortunately.

2149525387_dabf1e73c0_o.jpg

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Great photos Gary - thanks for posting them.

A little bit of trivia for you - the UK's E-3D's are the only aircraft in the RAF with both types of AAR - probe-and-drogue AND a flying boom receptacle.

I can't think of any other aircraft that has both systems????

Ken

Great photos Gary - thanks for posting them.

A little bit of trivia for you - the UK's E-3D's are the only aircraft in the RAF with both types of AAR - probe-and-drogue AND a flying boom receptacle.

I can't think of any other aircraft that has both systems????

Ken

Ditto, Gary--I'm digging this outpouring of E-3 photos!

I've always found the E-3D's dual AR-configuration interesting...now, though not yet operational, a "bolt-on" probe system is being tested/demonstrated on F-16's:

http://www.f-16.net/gallery_item405276.html

Ditto, Gary--I'm digging this outpouring of E-3 photos!

I've always found the E-3D's dual AR-configuration interesting...now, though not yet operational, a "bolt-on" probe system is being tested/demonstrated on F-16's:

http://www.f-16.net/gallery_item405276.html

Sargent Fletcher developed a fuel tank/pod with a built-in probe called ART/S - to 'convert' any fighter into a receiver for a probe-and-drogue basket.

Dunno if it ever went operational though.....

Ken

Here is my contribution to this topic.

The first 3 are E-3's, and the last two I thought would be of interest.

LX-N90442.jpg

This is NATO's special scheme from 1999.

ZH103.jpg

This next one is 8 and 23 Squadrons anniversary bird, with different colours either side of the tail.

202E-3F.jpg

The third is a French E-3F, I don't think one has been posted yet.

165455E-2C.jpg

The next is a French Hawkeye.

WL747.jpg

Finally,some history in the form of a Shackleton AEW2. Thie Radar on these are even older as they were originally used on the Royal Navy Gannets.

Ted

• 3 weeks later...
Ken....Those are quite old looking phtoos...how far do they go back.?

About late 80's, early 90's........

The An-71 was rolled out on 23 June 1985 - and made its first flight on 12 July.

Two prototypes were built - CCCP-780151 and CCCP-780361.

Flight trials took place during early 90's and most bugs had been ironed out - but the tests were never completed - the dissolution of the USSR led to the programmes demise.

With no state funding, the two prototypes were mothballed and placed in long-term storage - 780151 at Kiev-Gostomel and 780361 at Kiev-Svyatoshino.....................

An-71.jpg

Ken

• 1 year later...

Finally,some history in the form of a Shackleton AEW2. Thie Radar on these are even older as they were originally used on the Royal Navy Gannets.

It's even older - the AN/APS-20 radar sets installed in the Gannet AEW.3 were taken from the RN's Skyraider AEW.1's.

Cheers,

Andre

• 1 year later...

Gents,

Knew we had an old Sentry thread somewhere, I just didn't think it was this far back. 'NATO 01' on the Mildenhall circuit this morning, before it clouded over and went horrible. You always know when these guys turn up that they'll be around for a while, usually several hours of instrument and visual circuits. When I heard him call the change from instrument to visual circuits that was my chance to try an idea that I'd been thinking of for ages, just never had the right combination of circumstances before. NATO E-3's always pull very tight, banked base turns, so I charged down the little side road I'd never been down before, away from the approach and stopped where I guessed was about right - got him!

12930691555_230959a20b_o.jpg

12930694135_746a5d7d69_o.jpg

12930798583_7651bff7b3_o.jpg

12930695165_c6434ce138_o.jpg

Gary