Bought a kit with photo etch from Mel on June 24, 2009

as of this date I have still not recieived this kit, numerous PM's (one a month, I stopped asking in November) always had the kit going out in the next batch to be mailed, with delivery expected in a week or two at most.

I'm sure I'll be looked on as a cold ba$terd, and I have been patient waiting, but Sorry, finding out that Mel is still making deals as recently as December when he has yet to complete deals as old as 7 months has me to the point of posting this.

Mel, I'm sure you have your problems, so if you can't send the kit...........refund the money.

Greg, no need to apologize - most of us like to know who the thieves are that haunt the various modeling sites. Two others to watch out for are Richard Owen Morgan of Cambridgeshire UK (lost $800 to him after court settlement) and Pat "Charlie" Anderson of Watertown, WI (lost $115 to him - small claims pending). And frankly, once you stop making any pretense of meeting your commitments, you go from deadbeat to thief status in my book.

And by the way - in both of the above cases my first instinct was to walk away. Always trust your first instincts!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

I got a PM from "Mel" after he was informed of this thread. He appologized and mailed the kit. Kit arrived today in good condition. He gave a few reasons/explanations for the "delay" in his PM. I will not comment on any of that. I am just happy to have this end in a positive manner.

To any others waiting he said he is still catching up.

UPDATE

I got a PM from "Mel" after he was informed of this thread. He appologized and mailed the kit. Kit arrived today in good condition. He gave a few reasons/explanations for the "delay" in his PM. I will not comment on any of that. I am just happy to have this end in a positive manner.

To any others waiting he said he is still catching up.

Congratulations on getting your end of the deal. Hopefully, this will mean that I'll get my stuff too. I've done lots of deals over in the Hyperscale and steelnavy, and never had a problem. I joined ARC in mid-May, and get screwed immediately. Fortunately, the subsequent deals with the various members of this forum has gone on without any hitches, but it was a hell of an introduction to the members here.

CW

Congratulations on getting your end of the deal. Hopefully, this will mean that I'll get my stuff too. I've done lots of deals over in the Hyperscale and steelnavy, and never had a problem. I joined ARC in mid-May, and get screwed immediately. Fortunately, the subsequent deals with the various members of this forum has gone on without any hitches, but it was a hell of an introduction to the members here.

CW

Interesting observation CW. I too have been take here (BIG TIME) and on Large Scale Planes, but never on Hyperscale, Missing Lynx or Steel Navy. I wonder if that's just a coincidence.

He has not answered my last couple of emails ... so for me it's 8 months and counting. I do hope that he eventually gets around to shipping what he owes several of us here, and if he could get to the post office to ship GregS's kit, I wonder why not more ? Especially in my case where in his last email in December, things were "boxed up and ready to ship".

Sigh.

Tom, we understand you have issues, but please clear this up ... at the very least, maintain your integrity and reputation, if it's as important to you as you have said to me.

Edited by ericp
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I paid Tom for an aircraft kit and accessories in Feburary 2009 ( yes a year ago).

I have had many emails promising the kits and replacements etc.

Leaves a bit of a sour taste after I have have numerous deailings with people on the ARC site and have found everyone more than helpfull here.

I guess I will have to write the $100 off which I might add was paid straight away with PayPal when I had received the final amount from Tom.

Okay, I'm beginning to get perturbed about this situation. If he is too busy or too ill to handle his responsibilities, why can't he ask a friend or family member to take some boxes to the post office?

Looks like I'm not the only one!

Tom Bell has taken me for way too much with promises of shipping items. I did get some but still am owed a bunch of kits. I know he is was going through some tough times.......or so he says.

Shame on me for letting him suck me in, I should have proceeded with the Paypal claim!

I had a similar experience. I bought a couple of items from Tom in August 2009 and still have not received them. We exchanged PM's over the months, and each time he explained his predicament and indicated a willingness to make good on the deal. I trusted him because I knew he had a good reputation here on ARC, but I have my limits. I've asked him for a refund 2 or 3 times since December. I figure if he can't get to the post office he can at least get to PayPal to refund my money. So far my requests have been ignored.

I find it interesting that this thread started on Jan. 30, and according to Tom's profile page he hasn't been seen since on ARC since Feb. 5. Is it hot in here, or is it just me?

Very sad.......I have had some tough erxperiences with Tom but he did finally come through. I would hope he would take care of his issue with sellers in some way, even if it was to have someone help him get it out....

Well, as Shrek said, Grab your torch and pitchforks!

-Jim

Well

I emailed Tom ( I have his personal Email) And basically told him to get it together and ship the kits........all the kits.....for everyone!

I also told him I was going to start emailing his suppliers and the people he writes for if I didn't get a response from him. I know this seems harsh but this guy has taken way too many people, And I hate getting screwed!

You know when all this 1st went down I felt sorry for him but now I see he has done the same thing to many other people it just makes me mad! :( And I feel stupid I didn't go with my gut!

I will post on this thread as soon as I hear anything.

Mark

Edited by Airforce Brat

Well, i have agreed to take my foot off the pedal so to speak as Patrick Nevin has said he is going to try to right this situation. I have had some heated P.M's back and forth basically calling him (Mel) out for what he is and telling him that he had very poor excuses (I know many many people with medical issues who continue to be honest individuals), we'll see what happens in the next week or two.

I have edited my post......but there is still no excuse for the poor way he has handled these transactions. As far as "my" kits I have written them off long ago and will be surprised to see them.

Mark

Edited by Airforce Brat
Well here is the correspondence I had with Tom today.........Enjoy (Sorry guys you'll have to start from the bottom up)

Mark,

This is all very unfortunate and I truly appreciate your ire. However can I ask you to take your foot off the pedal for a week or so? Tom (who I do regard as a good friend) has as you say been quite seriously ill. Now I myself react badly - whether this is right or wrong - to personal criticism when debilitated through even mild sickness. Think that's what's happened here.

I don't say I condone what's happened, but I do understand it.

I thoroughly appreciate why you feel put out by this, but I think we all (as a community in ARC) want to see this resolved happily, rather than the easier option of chasing the offender scapegoat-style off the board without resolving the outstanding deals. This is what I believe we'll accomplish if we raise the post octane level much further. The rhetoric about basement dwellers is self defence only - we are all tinkerers with the same sort of plastic at the end of the day.

It turns out I'm over in the US next week (blame Deus Ex: have a hankering to see Battery Park) and am planning to meet up with Tom then. Hopefully we can discuss face to face and move things on. Until then, I ask you again to ease up, because otherwise it will just make things more difficult to fix.

Patrick

Patrick

I have edited my post, but the issue I have is he continued to sell kits in December 09 well still not shipping out what he had sold from February 09, if he had that much of a conscience he would have stopped selling until he could fulfill his other obligations. To me it seems like he did this deliberately with no intention of shipping out kits.

I do hope you can help clean up this mess

Mark

I have edited my post, but the issue I have is he continued to sell kits in December 09 well still not shipping out what he had sold from February 09, if he had that much of a conscience he would have stopped selling until he could fulfill his other obligations. To me it seems like he did this deliberately with no intention of shipping out kits.

Thanks Mark - appreciated.

Patrick

Well I ordered stuff from 'Mel' early last year, I thought it had been lost in the post and he offered to replace the sets when he could. I just heard from him today and he has found the sets and will be sending them out to me. Now I think that was mighty fine of him to make the effort to contact me after almost 12 months to tell me my etch was on its way.

Thanks Mel!!!!

I too had ordered a kit from Tom back in Aug of 09. He has kept in constant contact with me and I know my kit has been shipped as of last week. He has always been great to communicate with and work with. A little patience will go a long way in the world. Thanks again Tom.

Brandon

I know it may take awhile, but Tom is a good guy, and I don't think he has any intention of ripping anybody off. I have had many deals with him, and he always comes through.

Cheers,

-Doug :whistle:

I received my kit from Tom last night! Just wanted to let everyone know this. Just keep in contact with him. He is a great guy and doesn't want to rip anyone off. Thanks Tom!

Brandon

• 5 weeks later...