1/48 PHANTOM Single Engine, Single Seat

The preshading is come out decent but the worst part will arrive when I will paint it.

Usually I cover all the preshading, hope of to have more luck this time.

Just paint thinner coats :deadhorse1:

You can actually paint over the preshade quite much witout ruining it´s depth generating effect...actually I think a sublime and less distinct shine-through of the preshade is quite good.

Cheers!

Latest work done for weathering the Phantom:

sprayed on some side and top panels a very diluted gray the same used in the past days but this time I added to it one drop of white.

At the same time I marked the edges of some panels with Tamiya Smoke.

This has become necessary because there were panel edges where the pre shading was almost disappeared.

phantom-mono-4392.JPG

phantom-mono-4389.JPG

A precursor to the Viper, perhaps.....Very nice, and looks like a very distinct possibility at one time. A most intriguing whiffer.

Initially I have planned of to reduce the size the wings, but:

A: to reduce in size the wing could have been a too much laborious work

B: the wings of the original Phantom don't look too much excessive on the my WhatIf.

• 1 month later...

After almost a month of pause here are the latest news on the Phantom Single Engine.

This week I applied the decals.

The decals are those sold inside the ESCI F-4J Phantom Black Bunny.

These decals are really whatif even from the box, the colours on them are of fantasy!!!!

phantom-mono-4642.JPG

phantom-mono-4645.JPG

Now hope of to complete the my Phantom SE for the next month.

The night of the DISASTER:

phantom-monomotore-disastro.jpg

The Tamiya tape versus a pair of old decals sealed by two layers of Gunze CLEAR: Who will win?

The Tamiya tape obviously.

Things by to do tomorrow: throw away the old decals........

Note that I have reduced the adhesivity of the Tamiya tape but this has proved of not to be sufficient.

• 3 weeks later...

This is THE END:

This is the maximum that I have obtained from this model: over this I can't go (for now, in the future I hope to become more clean in the work)

Note: the front windshield is come out a little dusty as some dust from the paint removal process has filtered inside the windshiled. I will try to replace it...

phantom-monomotore-finito-4708.jpg

phantom-monomotore-finito-4697.jpg

phantom-monomotore-finito-4701.jpg

phantom-monomotore-finito-4704.jpg

phantom-monomotore-finito-4699.jpg

phantom-monomotore-finito-4707.jpg

Edited by G_Marcat_Italy
  • 7 months later...

On the past mid November I wrote the final word to the suffered project that has bring me to the Single Seat/Single Engine Phantom.

The building process of the my unique Phantom was a trauma for me primarily in reason of the my many changes of mind, and at the end, sincerely, I was completely unsatisfied from how the my Phantom has turned out.

So it's time for to try a new VERSION of the PHANTOM SE/SS.

This time I will NOT use again an "exotic" Phantom's kit as base. Instead the "donor" will be an F-4E 1/48 from Hasegawa.

phantom-single-2011-0355.JPG

Hope this choice will save me a lot of headaches. (HOPE!!!!).

I loved seeing your process here. Fantastic work and I think your dedication to finalising it is inspiring. Very nice!

Very nice words, Thank You.

Hope You will follow me in the this new "Phantom SS/SE version 2.0"

Today for first thing removed the frames from the windshield using the Master Casters sanding sponges:

phantom-single-2011-0357_cr.jpg

After this applied to the windshield a bath in the Future.

phantom-single-2011-0366.JPG

phantom-single-2011-0376.JPG

From yesterday at today glued the front portion of the nose (radome and Vulcan fairing assembly).

Used the usual Ambroid glue, then today sanded at semi mirrror level the surface and rescribed the portions of panels lines gone cancelled.

2011-07-08_215715.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This time I wish to do the Phantom's cocckpit using the EDUARD's photoetched pre coloured sets.

The use of the Eduard's set require the removal from the side consolles and from the front instrument panel of the details furnished by Hasegawa:

phantom-corto-2011-00001.jpg

phantom-corto-2011-0446.JPG

For the SEAT I'm thinking to two choices.

A: to use the regular seat by Hasegawa adding to it the photoetched belts taken from an old AIRWAVES set:

phantom-corto-2011-0454.JPG

B: or to use a QUICKBOOST resin seat... I'm painting both them side by side, I will choose which one at the end.

Yesterday painted some items.

phantom-corto-2011-0456.JPG

Today given the start to the Eduard's etched parts:

phantom-mono-2011-0460.JPG

The result is acceptable:

phantom-mono-2011-0463.JPG

A lot less good is the interior's appearance: nothis is comparable to a good resin set well painted:

phantom-mono-2011-0465.JPG

The main wheels have been painted using the system learned in a post here in the ARC forum: a drop of ALCOHOL on the outer rim and some drops of black: the edges pop out clean and fast.

phantom-mono-2011-0467.JPG