Techniques for Cutting/Opening Up Doors?

I am planning a project that will involve opening up doors to reveal interior details. Most of the doors have recessed panel lines, while a few others have raised panel lines. I would appreciate hearing your techniques and suggestions on how to accomplish them. Thanks.

David

Typically since MOST model's plastic is too thick to represent a door, I don't worry about trying to save the door part of the model. I'll drill small holes at each corner and depending on the size opening sometimes all around the perimeter of the door and then either cut it out with a hobby knife or use a dremel and grind it out by connecting the holes. Then clean up the edges and thin the surrounding areas if needed. Then I'll scratch build a door out of thin plastic sheet or at times I've used thin brass or spare photo-etch pieces. Usually only use that if it's a curved surface door.

maybe not the best way, but it works for me.

Bill

As I find it quite difficult to remake a door, especially if it has details engraved on it, I usually thin the plastic down to very thin (control this with a good light from the back of the part), and then cut along the scribing with a sharp blade. If carefully done you can keep both parts and then can even re-assemble as there is almost no material loss, as might happen with a wire saw. It worked pretty well for my Tomcat (link in the signature). Good luck with your project!

Awesome work Arnobiz. Yea I could see where a door as complicated a shape as that one would be pretty hard to re-make. I think you picked the right way to do that one. The few times I've opened panels or door they haven't been that complicated and I was too lazy to try to save the door and the opening all in one cut, that's why I just use the cut and grind and fix later method.

Bill

I use & stock a tool called the JLC rasor saw.

It uses a tough steel blade that us the same size as an old style rasor blade.

It has very fine teeth on one side and even finer on the other side.

This is mounted on a wooden handle.

You can use the leading edge to cut into the plastic to open up doors and panels.

To help even more their larger set comes with a set of spacers so you can mount two blades for parallel cuts.

There is an old review of the tool here. http://www.internetmodeler.com/2006/septem...es/tool_saw.php

Paul

www.little-cars.com/toolsacc.htm

• 3 months later...