New kit suggestion for manufacturers

If any company were to do Deadliest Catch vessels, I would expect it to be Billings Boats

http://www.billingboats.com/

They do the classic mix of the tall masted wooden sailing ships, but they have some more modern stuff mixed in. For instance, they have a kit of the Andrea Gale, the ship probably made most famous by "The Perfect Storm". I think it is a little too short to turn into a crab boat (even the Lisa Marie seems bigger), but it might have some potential as a Cod fishing boat.

Personally, I think it is funnier when Jake Harris bites the head off a Herring. :salute:

You should email them these little bits of photoshop you've been doing. If enough people plant the seed, maybe they will do it if they know there is a market for them. The Northwestern might be a likely one since the Hansens are Norwegian and Billings is based in Denmark (Scandanavian connection). :thumbsup:

I've always wanted to see a series of kits for cars done on Overhaulin'. Even if they picked ten or so that were done up to look close to stock (in order to save on moldings), that would still trip my trigger and I'd buy every one.

i could never stand that show, i think i couldn't get over the oversized rims and always low profile tires on some of those builds...just ruined an otherwise work of art for me.

• 4 months later...

Not a bad build actually. A little crude in spots, but this one is RC, so that makes the construction a bit more difficult as it has to be functional.

Doing a model of the Cornelia Marie would be my thing. Since the company that made that ship is no longer around, it might be possible to find plans for it somewhere as I believe at least the Coast Guard would need something for when they conduct inspections and the maintenance shops need plans as well for doing repairs and upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing that amazes me is that there's enough people watching this show to fill a forum thread..This, "ice road truckers", and that repo show (which is all staged), are really the driving force behind that old saying, "500 channels and nothing on."...

But as a model ship builder, I could see the interest in a crabbing ship..

Edited by RiderFan
  • 2 weeks later...
The show as we know it might be over. 3 captains not signing in for next season, not counting the one who passed away.

deadliest catch news story

with the crews of the northwestern and time bandit, i'm not really sure whats left to tune in for. thats what brings so many people back, what the hell is the network thinking? just going to make it another 'swords' or the lobsterboat disaster? there is no coherence...no chemistry and nothing else that makes loyal fans.

Ouch. Considering King Crab season starts up in less then a month, this is going to be a nasty blow. I am guessing though that something will likely get resolved quickly (i.e. we'll drop the suit if you come back, PLEASE PLEASE come back), although the Hillstrands tend to not go back on their word when they choose to do something. I liken it to Discovery bringing a knife to an Alaska gunfight. Considering the ties that the crews have, I'm surprised Keith and the Harris boys haven't made it a unanimous boycott.

As much as I like watching the show, if it comes to this, I would side with the ship captains. Discovery can't be dictating terms like this when its these guys who put their own boats on the line for the great footage. It would also be very dumb to break up a great team of crewmembers and film crews who have filmed the goings on these boats for a good portion of the decade.

Edited by Jay Chladek

Its a shame about the goings on at Discovery Channel, but Im sure the show will go on, there is still the Wizard and the Kodiac, plus Im sure a lot of footoage will be shot on the Cornelia Marie as the Harris boys will surely have to step things up a bit.

Now while browsing one of the model boat companies website, I didnt find a crab boat model, but ther ewas a model of the sword fishing boat "Andrea Gail". I cant remember the manyufacturer right now, but if I think of it, Ill post it here.

Its a shame about the goings on at Discovery Channel, but Im sure the show will go on, there is still the Wizard and the Kodiac, plus Im sure a lot of footoage will be shot on the Cornelia Marie as the Harris boys will surely have to step things up a bit.

Now while browsing one of the model boat companies website, I didnt find a crab boat model, but ther ewas a model of the sword fishing boat "Andrea Gail". I cant remember the manyufacturer right now, but if I think of it, Ill post it here.

pretty sure the andrea gail kit is from billings, i think they have 2 different scales of the kit too.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I was right. Reuters is reporting that Discovery, Sig and the Hilstrands have reached a deal at essentially the last minute (with King crab season starting this week). So it looks like the whole DC crab boat fleet will set sail. While Discovery is at it, I think they should stick whatever idiot came up with the lawsuit idea in a crab pot. :P

Looks like I was right. Reuters is reporting that Discovery, Sig and the Hilstrands have reached a deal at essentially the last minute (with King crab season starting this week). So it looks like the whole DC crab boat fleet will set sail. While Discovery is at it, I think they should stick whatever idiot came up with the lawsuit idea in a crab pot. :jaw-dropping:

I read that last week too Jay, came up on the facebook page of the show and that seemed to be the story.