3M Acryl Blue Putty

I've been searching for the last few weeks for a source to buy a new tube of Acryl Blue. I have been to all the local auto supply stores and auto paint places with no luck. I ordered through Amazon from three different places and it has been out of stock every time. I did not realize this stuff was that hard to find. Anyone have a source to get this from? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Don M.

never used it but is it acrylic based?

My first impression is "acrylic"................................but I truly have no idea.

I do know it works well - goes down good, sands nice and smooth, and doesn't shrink.

Good stuff.

I'm not sure if it is acrylic based either. I know it is not as "hot" as some fillers can be and does not attack the plastic. I did the usual searches over the last few weeks and ordering it through Amazon seemed to be the easiest and cheapest way to order. I ordered it from suppiers that said it was an "instock" item, gave shipping and CC information, even got conformation on my orders. Within a few days, I was informed by email that my order had been cancelled because said vendor was out of stock. THREE TIMES!! I gave it another shot tonight. I ordered it straight from GoferAuto. A little more expencive, I opted for the priority shipping. So, we'll see how it goes. I probably won't hear from them till after the holiday, but keeping my fingers crossed, maybe I'll have it by the end of the week. Don M.

never used it but is it acrylic based?

Depends what you mean when you ask acrylic based. If you mean 'acrylic' as in water based acrylic paints, no. The solid part (resin?) is an acryl.

Don't now about the 3M stuff....but I use Bondo Glazing Putty....it works great and sands like a dream. Readily available at any auto supply store

And at Wal-Mart, too. Cheaply. The tube I got like 2 years ago is still about 98% full, and I've used the hell out of it. I just had cracking issues with it on my Trumpy Tomcat, but I think that was my fault, as the gap I was filling may have been a bit too wide and I didn't shore it up with any plasticard :D.

Your auto supply store should be able to order it. Pretty much every auto supply store in my area has the stuff. I use the 3M red putty. It is lacquer based and works great. You might also consider Evercoat Eurosoft.

Never used the Acryl-Red, but my understanding is that the grain is not quite as fine as the Blue. For model work it probably doesnt matter since whichever you use, it will normally be wet sanded with extremely fine grit paper before any color coat is applied.

Have used it for both model work and a little bit of car body work and this stuff is pretty hot and should fuse with most plastics. It also will shrink a bit if applied too thick. It's meant for very thin coats.

Good auto-body supply shops should have it, but not your typical chain auto stores like O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc.

Well, the saga continues. I ordered a tube from GoferAuto back on May 29 and on June 2, I get an email from Keith at GoferAuto saying that they were out of stock and that 3M has discontinued the Acrly-Blue putty. He checked his other suppliers and none had the Blue. He suggested Acryl-White as a second choise. I went with that and received it in the mail this past thursday. I have yet to try it to see if it is as good as the Blue. I checked the 3M website and the Blue is no longer listed [see link]. If you like the Blue and know where you can get some, I would certainly go get it. I hope the White has the same coverage, grain and sanding qualities as the Blue. Acryl Putties are NOT acrylic based.The warning on the front of the Tube "Flammable liquid and vapor". The first ingredient on the back of the tube is Xylene. I found out you can't ship this through the USPS, it has to come UPS. Don M.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...ZbeFDKXQL309Jgl

Edited by viper50
...Acryl Putties are NOT acrylic based.The warning on the front of the Tube "Flammable liquid and vapor". The first ingredient on the back of the tube is Xylene. ...

Just because it has Xylene, a flammable solvent as the first ingredient, doesn't mean the 'solid' part isnt an acryl polymer. Further down the ingredient list you will see "acrylic resin" Acrylic' does not mean water based even though we often use the term 'acrylic' as a generic term for non solvent paints. There are also acrylic paints that use solvents, Mr Color from Gunze, for example.

I have both the Red and the Blue on my workbench. The red I mix about 2 parts putty to 1 part TUBE glue and come up with an excellent TOUGH putty for areas that otherwise might flake off, not as easy to sand though. The Blue dries fairly quickly, if the Green is any faster it would be hard for me to work with as the blue can already be crusty at one end of a wing root after applying to the other.

That's my 2 cents worth.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI that if you find no joy on Amazon acquiring Acryl Blue, go over to eBay. I just bought a tube from a vendor there.

I've had my last tube for 25 years and it's only now beginning to dry out, so this one should get me well into my 60s!

• 6 months later...

I stumbled across this thread and have some useful information for people still searching for the 3M Acryl-Blue Putty.

The 3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Blue Glazing Putty, 05964 is no longer available. The

suggested replacement is the 3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Marine Putty, 05962 White. This is

the old 21 oz. tube and we have inventory. Eventually the 21 oz tube 05962

will be phased out and be replaced by 05095 in the 14.5 oz. tube.

The 3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Marine Putty is the same formula as the 3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Blue

Glazing Putty except that it does not have the blue colorant

Napa or Carquest in you area should have these products.

Sincerely

Clauzel G.

3M Automotive Aftermarket Division

Edited by Spectre711

Got a little more info today on the different color puttys they have.

hopefully this information will help.

These products vary widely depending on temperature and thickness of

application. Because they cure by solvent evaporation, a small difference

in applied thickness or temperature can cause a multi-hour shift in sand

time. Here are some VERY ROUGH estimates of sand times for the Acryl

putties (all at 72 deg F):

3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Green Spot Putty, PN 05960: A truly "spot-only" putty, this one

cures the fastest and will not work for spreading over large areas. To be

used only for small spot repairs. In a thin film, this should be sandable

in about 15 minutes. In a thicker film, could be 30 minutes or longer.

3Mâ„¢ Acryl Red Glazing Putty, PN 05966 ,and 3Mâ„¢ Super Red Putty, PN 05972:

Both similar in sand times. In a thin film, could be sandable within 1

hour. Thicker films could be up to 6-8 hours before sandable.

3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Blue Glazing Putty, PN 05964 and 3Mâ„¢ Marine White Putty, PN

05962 . Same formulation, just no blue dye in the marine putty. This is

really an overnight putty, any type of film will likely take at least 12

hours to dry. This is meant for larger jobs.

3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Marine Putty -- White (PN 05962) should be used to fill small

surface defects such as pinholes and small scratches. Recommended for

minor imperfections, which only require a very thin application. Thick

application will shrink and crack.

This product is not intended to be used by itself and must be covered with

marine paint or gel coat.

3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Marine Putty can be used below the waterline only when it is

protected by a marine finish that is intended for use below the waterline.

3Mâ„¢ Acryl-Marine Putty should not be used for blister repair.

Sincerely

Clauzel G.

3M Automotive Aftermarket Division

I have used the 3M Super Red Putty (#05972) for several years. I have the same, original tube that I bought at a local auto parts store. It comes in a pretty large tube (1 lb., 5 oz.), and I still have enough left to last for a long time. It does not dry out in the tube like some of the other stuff I have tried. It is a lacquer-based putty. It was recommended by a friend of mine who has built literally thousands of models. I also asked a friend of mine who owns an auto body shop. He asked me what I was using for putty. When I told him that I was using the 3M Super Red Putty, he told me that I couldn't do any better. I have never used the 3M Blue, so I can't give you a comparison. I'm just telling you what works for me. Good Luck