Mirage help needed, pleaes!!

Hello all,

I have for some time now been "lurking" on the pakistani Mirage IIIs - especially the ones received from Australia ( III Os ) and Lebanon ( III ELs ).

Would any of You be able to advise me about whits kit would be best suited for those two versions?!?! I would prefer 1/72, but if there is a better alternative in 1/48 I´m not hesitative to go for that!!

The onlt external difference I see is the extended fin on the III ELs compared to the straight-down fin of the III Os ( III EA in Pakistani service ).

I intend both to be build as current Pakistani examples with the ROSE 1 mods and grey / F-16-like color scheme - the III EA will be from 7th Squadron and the III EL will be from the 22nd OCU Squadron both based at Masroor AB.

Furthermore, are there any extras for such Mirages out there, large wing tanks, extra antannas etc., etc.

And finally are there any Pakistani decals for those Mirages or do I need to improvise from the stash?!?!

Many thanks in advance and many greetings,

Henrik.

In 1/72 the Heller kit is pretty nice. I think in 1/48 if you want a IIIE you'll probably want the ESCI/Italeri kit. I'm not up enough on Mirage IIIOs to know if that's basically a IIIC or IIIE. If it's a IIIC then you can't really go wrong with the Eduard or Hobbyboss kit(s). I think if you go with whichever one is cheaper you'll be ok.

Edited by DonSS3

Hi,

Mirage IIIO, ELa re based on the Mirage IIIE, not the C. Similar but vastly different airframes (I'd say much like what the F-5E is to the F-5A)

In 1/72nd scale best shape (currently) is the Heller kit. It is dated and quite simple and would lack some details. But it can be built as a nice model with some work.

If you want to add details Hi Tech released a resin set long ago (out of production but maybe ebay would allow you to track one - come with resin cockpit, nose cones, etc...). More recently Pavla released a nice cockpit as ref PAVC72091 which adds to the Heller kit.

Cheers

Eric B.

I think we all agree that the Heller kit is the best for the IIIO. High Planes (as mentioned re their new kit) also does an etch antenna fret for all versions of the Mirage. You will find all the different antennas shapes fitted to various Mirages type on it.

think we all agree that the Heller kit is the best for the IIIO

Actually in past discussions on this subject the the prevailing opinion was that High Planes is best when it comes down to accuracy and fidelity of detail. Now ease of building is another whole ball of wax and admittedly some of that fine detail will be eradicated during the process. That is why so many of us are excited about High Plane's new tooling.

Regards

Jim Barr

Just a note the Mirage III-EA is the Argentine Air Force version, Pakistani´s ones are Mirage III-EP, Lebannon III:EL and ex aussies III-EO. The III-EL have the extended leading edge at the tail (same as the Argentines and brazilians ones), III-EO and EP have regular straight fins..HTH

Actually in past discussions on this subject the the prevailing opinion was that High Planes is best when it comes down to accuracy and fidelity of detail.

There's a Heller vs High Planes models comparaison on a French forum topic. Heller conforms to drawings that we published long after that the kit appeared. Either the drawings were based on the Heller kit (it would be surprising), either the Heller kit is likely to be more accurate.

Edited by Laurent

Thaks again guys!! Really nice information!!

Dagger - Yes, You are right about the Argentine version originally being IIIEAs, but the ROSE 1 - Retrofit Of Strike Element - ex-RAAF Mirage IIIOs that went into service with the PAF are locally known as IIIEAs, as well!! I believe the Aussi ones were in two versiones for the single seaters - IIIO(A) and IIIO(F)?!?!

The Pakistani IIIEPs were the original ones delivered back in the late 1960s / early 1970s with the charateristic IIIE "bulge" under the nose.

The ex-Aussi and ex-Lebanese Mirages have undergone the same upgrade in Pakistan whereas the ex-French, ex-Libyan and original PAF Mirage Vs have received the ROSE II and ROSE III upgrades.

Ex-Aussi Mirage IIIEA from 7th Squadron;

http://www.patricksaviation.com/uploads/photos/4914.jpg

Ex-Lebanese from 22nd Mirage OCU;

http://www.afavia-fotos.co.za/mil9/images/M907.jpg

http://www.afavia-fotos.co.za/mil9/images/M906.jpg

Thanks again, guys!!

Cheers,

Henrik.

There's a Heller vs High Planes models comparaison on a French forum topic. Heller conforms to drawings that we published long after that the kit appeared

And yet when compared to several set of drawings I have laid the kits on, the High Planes just edges out the Heller. :thumbsup: I know that when looking for the supersonic drop tanks that have the bomb hard points, which are longer than the normal ones, the Heller tanks fit the bill just great which makes them too long for the normal ones. And it is not just me, like I said this discussion has come up here several times in the past years and the majority of the opinions were that High Planes was better for accuracy and fidelity of detail. Since they are both close I would imagine it depends on what plan set you are using and when it comes to accuracy of plans… well that another whole discussion thread. This is not to say the Heller is a bad kit, far from it, but it does show its age with raised panel lines and softer detail. It for sure is a lot cheaper and easier to build. Another kit that is not all that bad is the old Revell kit but it ranks behind High Planes and Heller.

What it boils down to is we need a new state of the art 1/72 Mir III / V / 50/ variant family. Hopefully the new High Planes kits will happen and fill this void.

Regards

Jim Barr

And it is not just me, like I said this discussion has come up here several times in the past years and the majority of the opinions were that High Planes was better for accuracy and fidelity of detail. Since they are both close I would imagine it depends on what plan set you are using and when it comes to accuracy of plans… well that another whole discussion thread.

Well I've done a "Search" in "Jet Modelling" on the string "mirage +high +planes" and the result didn't convince me. No demonstration.

I've laid out the parts of a High Planes kit over the drawings of a the DTU French Mirage monography and the match wasn't perfect. The match was better with the Mushroom book drawings.

What it boils down to is we need a new state of the art 1/72 Mir III / V / 50/ variant family. Hopefully the new High Planes kits will happen and fill this void.

No Way ! What would I do with my Cheetah, Nesher and Finger kits ? I've done the dirty work on the inside of the wing parts ;)

Edited by Laurent
I've laid out the parts of a High Planes kit over the drawings of a the DTU French Mirage monography and the match wasn't perfect. The match was better with the Mushroom book drawings.

Like I siad, different plans different results :thumbsup:

No Way ! What would I do with my Cheetah, Nesher and Finger kits

I have 7 of the High Planes Mirage family and variants so I feel your pain (although I have not done the wing grinding bit yet)

Regards

Jim barr

Some shots of A3-33 while she was with us Down-under.

Neill-Groves-A3-33-002.jpg

Ahh... 33, I spent many hours turning spanners (and screw drivers on her) as well as pumping it with fuel and oxygen. She was one of the better behaving jets in the fleet.

They were the days.....