This is my recent almost OOB build of the Revell/Monogram boxing from 1998. This was a poor molding as you can see the excessive sink marks on the fuselage giving it a ribbed effect. It would've taken too much work to correct, so I left it as is. I replaced the kit props with an old set of Hamilton Standards from 299 models.

The model was first airbrushed with gray auto primer, wet sanded and then given a several coats of gloss black enamel. The Fuselage was first painted Alclad II Chrome then the nose and aft crew areas masked and the entire model painted with Highly Polished Aluminum. The control surfaces were painted in Alclad II aluminum and the wing midsection was a mix of Alclad II aluminum with some gray added. Then the whole model was brushed with Future, the decals were applied and then sealed in Future.

B-2923.jpg

B-2924.jpg

B-2926.jpg

B-2927.jpg

B-2931.jpg

B-2932.jpg

B-2934.jpg

B-2935.jpg

Beautiful Job!

Every project I do that needs the natural metal finish is always a learning experience. How did you do the vertical shading? I am not talking about the 'stressed' frame that the others are referring to but rather that streaking effect?

Great job, very inspiring. :thumbsup:

If you had not pointed it out, I would've thought that the stressed skin effect was intended/part of the model. I think it actually adds to the model, not detracts from it. That is one thing that amazes me about the B-52. I saw one at an airshow this weekend, and there are wrinkles everywhere over that thing! It's almost like it's a Boeing trademark.

Aaron

Fantastic!!! ;) :)

I remember building the old Airfix B-29 in 1/72 in these markings - the story of Joltin Josie was written on the instruction sheet if I recall correctly - anybody know where I can find more details on her? Wiki turned up only the preserved aircraft, but not her story?

That is some magnificently beautiful work....I've one in the closet part of a stash, that I'll have to do sooner or later, it was given me by one of my best friends to do. He as since left us...so it is a must do!!!.

Fantastic!!! :whistle: :D

I remember building the old Airfix B-29 in 1/72 in these markings - the story of Joltin Josie was written on the instruction sheet if I recall correctly - anybody know where I can find more details on her? Wiki turned up only the preserved aircraft, but not her story?

21st Bomb Command in the Mariana Islands

While the 58th Bomb Wing was flying missions from India and China, United States Army and Marine units were assaulting the Mariana Islands of Saipan, Tinian, and Guam. The Marianas were closer to Japan and would not be as difficult to supply. Before the islands were completely secure, Army Engineers and Navy Seabees began constructing B-29 airfields in anticipation of the arrival of the first bomb wing, the 73rd. The 73rd Bomb Wing would be assigned to the 21st Bomb Command under the leadership of General Haywood Hansell and later, General Curtis LeMay. The first B-29 to arrive was Joltin’ Josie of the 498th Bomb Group on October 12, 1944. Unfortunately, Josie and her entire crew would be lost on April 1, 1945. The 73rd Bomb Wing would eventually be joined by four more bomb groups: the 313th, stationed on Tinian; the 314th and 315th, both stationed on Guam; and the 58th, transferred from India to Tinian.

From: http://www.b29memorial.com/History/Memorial%20Plaques.pdf

Eight B-29's were lost March 30 - April 1/2:

42-24614 - 498th BG - MACR 13766 "Joltin' Josie, The Pacific Pioneer" ditched after take off, Currier crew lost

From: http://www.xmission.com/~tmathews/b29/56ye...ears-4504a.html

Joltin Josie Being Serviced on Saipan by MSHennessy.

The first B-29 to enter the Pacific Theater in World War II. Although officially designated as "TO5" she was called Joltin Josie, the Pacific Pioneer - or just Josie - by the Americans on Saipan.

Josie arrived in the Marianas on the 12th of October, 1944 with General Haywood S. Hansell in the pilot seat and Major Jack Catton - the aircraft commander - in the co-pilot's position. Hansell headed the XXI Bomber Command. Catton was a flight leader of the 873rd squadron in the 498th Bomb Group. The 497th, 498th, 399th and the 500th Bomb Groups and their associated organization made up the 73rd Bomb Wing - which pioneered in bringing the full force of strategic aripower to bear in a world at war.

After some 400 hours flying and 24 missions over Japan, during which Josie never suffered an abort and always hit the primary target, Major Catton was transferred to General LeMay's Headqaurters. Captain Wilson C. Currier took over as aircraft commander.

Josie was lost on the first mission following Major Catton's departure. Immediately after tacking off on 1 April 1945, she plummeted into Magicienne Bay (also known as Laulau Bay) and exploded on impact. There were no survivors.

Joltin Josie was part of the 498th Bomb Group, 873rd Squadron.

From: http://www.flickr.com/photos/msh-images/4473648623/

Edited by Bill the plastic fondler