Starting up again after 11 years

Howdy fellas. I've been out of modeling for over 11 years and have been getting the itch once again. Thing is, I see some of the work you guys do and am just floored. Scribing, pre-shading, riveting, wiring, etc., I love it all but have no idea how to do it or what to use. I have zero for modeling tools anymore, so I wanted to get the pros' opinions. What tools do you guys recommend as "must have's" and where should I get em. Thanks in advance and please go easy on the noob, lol!

hey micro, welcome to ARC, and welcome back to building. First think i think you should do, is go to General Discussion, and click on one of the top links that says How to Build a Model Airplane. Theres a link to a great PDF you can download. It contains a great list of tools you can see, and an idea of where to get them. Check it out....

i've built up all my tools over time. starting out with what kit i was wanting to build, get the stuff for that one. then stuff for the next one, and so on. but there are some great ideas in that pdf.

1) Xacto knife and #11 blades or equivalent. Get a bunch of blades, it's better to change them fairly regularly and not have to use too much pressure to cut, that's how bloody acidents happen.

2) Sanding sticks. These are like the emery boards or fingernail polishers in the beauty section. Squadron sells them in a 4 pack of varied coarseness.

3) Side-cutters (dikes) for removing parts from the sprues before using the Xacto and sanding sticks to clean the nubs. Fingernail clippers work for the most part but sometimes are too small.

4) Six inch (or 15cm) steel ruler.

5) Sandpaper, probably 320 or 400 and 600 grits are good for a start. Make sure they're labeled as "wet or dry". Wet sanding does a better job and is faster. It also makes the sandpaper last longer. Don't fool around with dull sandpaper though, it's cheap enough to use new.

6) Tamiya Extra Thin liquid cement. If nothing else, the applicator brush in the cap is actually useful in contrast to those that come in most cement bottles.

7) Super Glue, for a start, don't get the big 1 1/2 oz hobby bottles, just get the tiny one's from the hardware store. Same stuff, cheaper, and it does have a shelf life once it's open. No sense having 1.4 oz of your 1.5 oz bottle clot before you can use it.

8) Files - not really mandatory if you've got sanding sticks and sandpaper but they can speed up try and fit operations if used carefully.

9) Some sort of putty: Squadron makes some, Bondo spot putty (not the two part stuff), 3M Acryl Blue, Tamiya... Some people prefer to use super glue for filling but many, including myself, still like the solvent based filler putties. Two part epoxy putty like Tamiya, Apoxy-Sculpt or Milliput are good too, but for just getting started they're not necessary.

10) Paint....too many to recomend

11) Patience and realistic expectations. Unless you're some sort of savant or prodigy, you're probably not going to get results like you see in this board. I sure don't and I've been doing this for years.

We have tons of reccomendations here, but will an airbrush be one of your "tool" purchase?

I ask because it may also influence your paint selection. I reccomend acrylics for be obvious reason of fumes and cleanup. I like Tamiya for airbrushing.

We have tons of reccomendations here, but will an airbrush be one of your "tool" purchase?

I ask because it may also influence your paint selection. I reccomend acrylics for be obvious reason of fumes and cleanup. I like Tamiya for airbrushing.

I could not agree more. Having started the hobby about a year and a half ago and with my last two builds I have tried to put a lot more into them besides tube glue, a knife, paint and a brush. AB and a compressor were big purchases, but I can tell you that my last two builds look a lot better then my previous ones. As mentioned above my tool collection have just kind of grown as well as the colors I have.

I highly recommend checking out Swanny's Tool Tip Page: http://www.swannysmodels.com/Tools.html

Also try the tools n tip section tap off of the main page.

Like you I am completely blown away by the awesome models posted on here. Having just finished two days ago a Mitsubishi Ki-67 "Peggy" my models are looking better, but are still 5-footers (they look great five feet away) . . . though my wife tells me they look great. I recommend just try learning tips from here that you can and just build for you. You will make a mistakes, but I think as long as you are enjoying what you are doing then hey why not.

On a side note do not put retarder or Chicago in a subject heading . . . they think you are talking about the Cubs!

Get a respirator.......not dust masks....get a proper respirator. This will protect your lungs from resin dust and paint particles. You only have one set of lungs......don't mess around with them.

Resin dust is very bad for your lungs........best to do any resin grinding/sanding work under running water if possible.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sawnny's and the model building articles are AWESOME! Grey Ghost, thanks, that is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I really don't want to make 17 trips to the hobby shop becuase I keep remembering stuff!

I'm scared, but I am going to try an airbrush. when I was younger all I used was Model Master spray cans. But having seen what you guys pull off with airbrushes, I want in on that. Is there a one stop shop hardware website you guys get you equipment from, or is it kind of widespread?

PS: One thing I am curious about, what is it about Tamiya masking tape that is such a hit. I've never used it but it seems everyone on here raves about it.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sawnny's and the model building articles are AWESOME! Grey Ghost, thanks, that is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I really don't want to make 17 trips to the hobby shop becuase I keep remembering stuff!

I'm scared, but I am going to try an airbrush. when I was younger all I used was Model Master spray cans. But having seen what you guys pull off with airbrushes, I want in on that. Is there a one stop shop hardware website you guys get you equipment from, or is it kind of widespread?

PS: One thing I am curious about, what is it about Tamiya masking tape that is such a hit. I've never used it but it seems everyone on here raves about it.

Tamiya tape sticks well but doesn't lift paint when being removed. Tamiya also make an excellent liquid glue as well with a very fine pointy brush built into the lid and the bottle is short and wide and less prone to being knocked over.

Hi Micro, and welcome to Advanced Replicators Corporation, (well actually Aircraft resource center). One tool I'd get that's real cheap about a buck at Wal-Mart. A multi sided manicure file, excellent for canopy seams removal and can be used in any phase of construction. Grades go from around 320 to about 2000 grit.

As mentioned above an airbrush is gonna cost you the most but if you got the cash then go for it. Also, I highly recommend practicing and watching some videos of airbrushing. It took me a little bit to get use to it.

I also highly recommend Tamiya brands . . . of just about anything. I get the masking tape from Hobby Lobby, if there is one near you .

Anything you find useful. I like using dental picks from a surplus store for putting putty in tight corners, and I have 1 pick that is good for scribing.

I would suggest some white glue (I specifically use Weldbond). It is actually glue, not a solivant, it dries clear, no harsh fumes, is water based, and is cheap. It is good for gluing odd pieces on, especially after painting is done. It is great for gluing canopies down, seat belts to painted ejection seats.... odd stuff. Even little dabs can look like bumps for buttons or whatever!

If you are really getting back into modeling, get a decent airbrush (as every one stated). Other than your impending stash, it will be the most expensive part of the hobby, but you can get amazing results with it.

If you are going to be doing any scratch building (or just adding little details), get some Evergreen plastic stock.

Again, whatever works for you! I steal little files from my wife all the time :monkeydance: I personally make my own sanding sticks, I cut a specific grit of paper to the width of a popsicle stick, and glue it down, and trim the excess.

ON the subject of sanding sticks/files. If you have a beauty supply store ( like Sally's) near you, go there and browse their selection of nail files. They have padded sanding sticks in lots of different grits, for about a dollar each. Micro-Mark gets 4.75 each for them.

Edited by RedHeadKevin
:woot.gif: This is GREAT stuff. I never would have thought of half of these things. It really is genius what you guys come up with. I've looked around on-line at some of the airbrushes out there and just kinda scratch my head. I have no idea what to get. Cost shouldn't be an issue so what do you guys use?

For an airbrush I would look for a gravity feed double action airbrush. Get a metal airbush and take care of it and it will last you a life time. I'll let other people suggest brands and airbrush models etc. Double action airbrushes spray finer lines etc. If you get a single action I guarantee you will upgrade to a double action pretty quick. Don't ask me how I know this. :woot.gif: Gravity feed airbrushes are great because they work with the tiniest quanity of paint.

The plastic Testors airbrush seems unable to spray metalizers paints.....or at least that was the case once upon a time.

if you want to jump right in, we are setting up a B-17 group build to start in Janurary, and the thread we have going on has a TON ofgreat tip, refrences, ideas, and in general all sorts of great info, if you want, please jump in, the thread is B-17 Group Build.

Thanks for the invite! I actually just got my first kit delivered today (Revell Learjet 35) and am already feeling overwhelmed. I think I better stick to this one before I start going crazy.

if you want to jump right in, we are setting up a B-17 group build to start in Janurary, and the thread we have going on has a TON ofgreat tip, refrences, ideas, and in general all sorts of great info, if you want, please jump in, the thread is B-17 Group Build.

RightWinger......I searched the group build section and couldnt find the thread, can you show me the light? Interested in the GB for a B-17.

Thanks