Trumpeter SU30 MKK

Ok i have picked up 2 more 1/32 Trumpeter SU30 MKK's for $50 ea. (makes a total of 5 1/32 flankers, I may need to see a shrink). I now need to know if there are any plans available to determine the differences between the MKK's and the MK2's & MKI's. From looking at photo's it appears that tails seem to be the main differences. I am sure the cockpits are different. Any help is appreciated.

From looking at photos on airliners.net they don't all have canards. I read somewhere that they have been dropped out of production, I think.

ah... that's very new to me...

always tough that MKI was only with canards... (does it have changed lately, like yesterday? or this morning?) :)

The Su-30MKK and Su-30MKI are two totally different machines.

They are built at separate factories - the MKI at Irkutsk (IAPO), the MKK at Komsomolsk-na-Amur (KnAAPO).

The Su-30MKI was built specifically for India and uses Israeli, Indian and Russian avionics.

There are derivatives - the Su-30MKM for Malaysia that drops the Israeli avionics and has South African & Swedish missile warning systems (so some bumps and aerials) and the Su-30MKA for Algeria.

The Su-30MKK was built for China and uses Chinese and Russian avionics.

The derivatives are Su-30MK2V for Vietnam, Venezuela and Indonesia...

Visual differences are :-

The Su-30MKI has canards, thrust-vectoring engine (TVC) nozzles, and bigger, extended-chord rudders.

The Su-30MKK has no canards, no TVC and taller, square-tipped fins containing fuel tanks.

Making a Su-30MKI/M/A from a Su-30MKK is quite an undertaking.

I made a Su-30MKI and MKM from the Heller 1:72 scale Su-27UB here which shows the basics that need to be done.

Starting with an MKK should be easier as you already have the IFR probe, offset IRST and twin nosewheels.

You can sort out the internals yourself - it wasn't too much in 1:72 scale, but in 1:32 you would have to do some scratchbuilding.

BTW, the last letter denotes the user....

MKI for India

MKM for Malaysia

MKA for Algeria

MKK for Kitei (China)

The Vietnamese, Venezuelan and Indonesian all seem to use the MK2V designation.

Welcome to the confusing world of Flankers.

Happy Modelling :sunrevolves:

Ken

The Su-30MKK and Su-30MKI are two totally different machines.

They are built at separate factories - the MKI at Irkutsk (IAPO), the MKK at Komsomolsk-na-Amur (KnAAPO).

The Su-30MKI was built specifically for India and uses Israeli, Indian and Russian avionics.

There are derivatives - the Su-30MKM for Malaysia that drops the Israeli avionics and has South African & Swedish missile warning systems (so some bumps and aerials) and the Su-30MKA for Algeria.

The Su-30MKK was built for China and uses Chinese and Russian avionics.

The derivatives are Su-30MK2V for Vietnam, Venezuela and Indonesia...

Visual differences are :-

The Su-30MKI has canards, thrust-vectoring engine (TVC) nozzles, and bigger, extended-chord rudders.

The Su-30MKK has no canards, no TVC and taller, square-tipped fins containing fuel tanks.

Making a Su-30MKI/M/A from a Su-30MKK is quite an undertaking.

I made a Su-30MKI and MKM from the Heller 1:72 scale Su-27UB here which shows the basics that need to be done.

Starting with an MKK should be easier as you already have the IFR probe, offset IRST and twin nosewheels.

You can sort out the internals yourself - it wasn't too much in 1:72 scale, but in 1:32 you would have to do some scratchbuilding.

BTW, the last letter denotes the user....

MKI for India

MKM for Malaysia

MKA for Algeria

MKK for Kitei (China)

The Vietnamese, Venezuelan and Indonesian all seem to use the MK2V designation.

Welcome to the confusing world of Flankers.

Happy Modelling :jaw-dropping:

Ken

Thanks Flankerman it gives me someplace to start looking comparing the detail differences.

ah... that's very new to me...

always tough that MKI was only with canards... (does it have changed lately, like yesterday? or this morning?)

I found at least a dozen pictures of MKI's with out canards, granted some could have been the same aircraft I didn't look that close.

Thanks Flankerman it gives me someplace to start looking comparing the detail differences.

I found at least a dozen pictures of MKI's with out canards, granted some could have been the same aircraft I didn't look that close.

They aren't MKI's.

When India ordered the upgraded Su-30MKI, they were delivered an interim variant, without canards or TVC - while the full-blown version was being developed.

This was called the Su-30K and there were 18 of them - they wore a standard 3-tone camo scheme and were numbered SB001 to SB-018.

The first 'true' MKI - with canards, TVC etc was numbered SB-019 and featured the all-grey camouflage.

It's all explained in this book......

indianflankerbookreviewkb_1.jpg

Ken

Indonesia uses "MK" and "MK2" designation for the Su-30s, and "SK" and "SKM" for the Su-27s.

Thanks Alex - I got it wrong.

But, am I right is saying that the Indonesian Su-30MK, the Vietnamese Su-30MK2V and the Venezuelan Su-30MK2V are all the same - at least visually??

e.g tall, square-tipped fins, no canards or TVC.

All built by KnAAPO.

Ken

They aren't MKI's.

When India ordered the upgraded Su-30MKI, they were delivered an interim variant, without canards or TVC - while the full-blown version was being developed.

This was called the Su-30K and there were 18 of them - they wore a standard 3-tone camo scheme and were numbered SB001 to SB-018.

India is also operating what they call the MK-1, not to be confused with the MKI : http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Images/C...Fighters/Su30K/

I read somewhere that 10 (or was it 8?) of the Su-30Ks they bought were later upgraded to MKI standards. Perhaps these are the MK-1 designations?

Confusing... :wacko:

Btw, Wolfpack Design is releasing a conversion set to make a 1/32 canard flanker.
Wolfpack has announced that it is releasing an Su-30K conversion. This is not the canard version.
Ok i have picked up 2 more 1/32 Trumpeter SU30 MKK's for $50 ea. (makes a total of 5 1/32 flankers, I may need to see a shrink).
Rather than spend your money on a shrink you may want to visit my website first to see all the cool corrections, conversions and upgrades I have for the Su-27/30!

www.Zactomodels.com

There are some problems with the Su-30 kit that I will be addressing soon.

The canopy shape is quite a bit off and lacks detail. The IRST location and platform shape is wrong requiring that the front section of the fuselage be replaced. I'll also be dressing up the refueling probe and adding the missing spotlight panel on the right side of the nose.

Another big problem with the Trumpeter Su-30 kit is that the entire weapons array that they include can't be used without first doing some heavy modification and scratchbuilding. >>>Details here.<<<

:jaw-dropping:

India is also operating what they call the MK-1, not to be confused with the MKI : http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Images/C...Fighters/Su30K/

I read somewhere that 10 (or was it 8?) of the Su-30Ks they bought were later upgraded to MKI standards. Perhaps these are the MK-1 designations?

Confusing... :jaw-dropping:

Chris,

I have never seen that designation used - it isn't mentioned in the book I quoted (which was written in co-operation with the Indian AF and the Bharat Rakshak site).

If they were operating them, they aren't now.....

According to the book.... the original Su-30K's (or Su-30 MK-1) - coded SB-001 to SB-018....

"In a surprise move, the IAF's 18 Su-30K (aircraft SB001-018) which were originally slated to be upgraded at Irkutsk were sold back to Russia in February 2006......"

They were replaced by 18 'proper' MKI's from Russia.

It was discovered that they (the Su-30Ks) could not be upgraded to MKI standard because.....

To accomodate TVC, the entire rear end would need to be replaced.

The rest of the airframe structure would have to changed to take the extra two tonnes of the MKI airframe.

The internal structure for the canards was not present in the Su-30K airframe.

They had already used up 40 percent of their airframe lives.

The Indian AF is now only operating the Su-30MKI - currently SB-019 to about SB-150

The first batch were made at Irkutsk, the rest are produced in India by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) - with up to 248 aircraft planned.

Ken

Rather than spend your money on a shrink you may want to visit my website first to see all the cool corrections, conversions and upgrades I have for the Su-27/30!

www.Zactomodels.com

There are some problems with the Su-30 kit that I will be addressing soon.

The canopy shape is quite a bit off and lacks detail. The IRST location and platform shape is wrong requiring that the front section of the fuselage be replaced. I'll also be dressing up the refueling probe and adding the missing spotlight panel on the right side of the nose.

My paypal account and you are already well aquainted. I have taken a little break from your website to pick up some more of the Aires sets for the exhausts. I will be returning to you as soon as you get those darn 2 seat canopies done. I now need 3 MKK's & 2 UB's. I have a full set of your stuff to do my single seater. Plus I got an A7D I need parts for.......argh! :woot.gif:

This was called the Su-30K and there were 18 of them - they wore a standard 3-tone camo scheme and were numbered SB001 to SB-018

Would I be better off to look more toward Chinese & Venezualan Flankers? I want to do a Russian demo MKK and a Chinese version and the third is open.

Edited by steel_tiger1
Thanks Alex - I got it wrong.

But, am I right is saying that the Indonesian Su-30MK, the Vietnamese Su-30MK2V and the Venezuelan Su-30MK2V are all the same - at least visually??

e.g tall, square-tipped fins, no canards or TVC.

All built by KnAAPO.

Ken

Of course, Ken... You are right, as always... :cheers:

I'm so proud as we have the SKM now...

• 1 year later...