Group Build - Fighters Now and Then.

Hi.

I just got the idea of a fighters GB.

You pick your favorite fighter from your favorite nation and add a second build of your birthyear.

In my case, I'm born in 1966, that'll be IDF/AF Mirage III CJ vs F-15 Improved Baz, or since I'm swedish a JAS-39 vs J-35 Draken.

The main rule it has to be the same airforce in the same entry.

If one wants too, you can entry mulitple entries.

So whats the verdict.??????

:cheers:

/Bosse

I could be in to that. I am also 1966, that gives me lots of Phantoms, starfighters, Voodoos, all things of merriment in my stash. But why not just anything form that year instead of only one countries.

Edited by phantom
I could be in to that. I am also 1966, that gives me lots of Phantoms, starfighters, Voodoos, all things of merriment in my stash. But why not just anything form that year instead of only one countries.

My Idea is that you combine the present with your,in our case the same, birthyear and build two aircraft from the same airforce.

You choose from what airforce, but both aircrafts has to be from the same airforce.

Should you choose Germany for instance, Then you'll have a Typhoon from now, and both GDR and BDR to build/choose from, pending of your birthyear.

But all aircraft has to be in an Fighter role.

/Bosse

Edited by Marlin
Small problem here! I'm from Israel so I'd like to build Israeli aircraft. I'll have no problem with the modern a/c but what do I do about my birth year (1943)? The country didn't exist then!!

In 1943 it was the British Mandate, so why not a Spitfire from RAF?

/Bosse

Small problem here! I'm from Israel so I'd like to build Israeli aircraft. I'll have no problem with the modern a/c but what do I do about my birth year (1943)? The country didn't exist then!!

Or how about the first aircraft Israel was armed with?

You are going to make a group build that requires two aircraft from each person? That's a lot for us slow builders.

If we'll do this hopefully it'll be a six-month GB.

So it's not impossible to get two aircrafts ready in that time.

As for now it's just a thought. Lets see if there is some interest in this.

:thumbsup:

/Bosse

Sounds better each time I read it, I can go either way with WWII Warbirds P-51or the early jets.......F-80, F-86!!! :thumbsup: , and any of today's offerings...a lot of great ones from the world over :lol:

Edited by Angels49

Would be 1980 for me too, and was thinking the same thing. Tomcat & Hornet. It wouldnt necessarily have to be a Super Hornet, it could be a Legacy Hornet as well. One thing that might work good would be to build the Tomcat & the Hornet from the same squadron as well.

1980 for me,

so I could go for aTomcat and maybe (God it hurts to say this) um...er...uh...a...super hornet???

While I think it's a good concept, I think the range of aircraft is too wide. A group build should probably have a more narrow range of subjects.

I was born in 69 so that would mean there's a HUGE list of aircraft for me to choose from. If the group build were narrowed down somewhat that would focus the group. For example; Select an aircraft that was stationed at the closest AFB to your birth town. I was born in Comox BC so I'd probably be building a 409 Squadron CF-101.

If someone was born in California, maybe an F-106 out of Edwards?

I think just picking any airplane flying during the year you were born is a bit unfocused.

While I think it's a good concept, I think the range of aircraft is too wide. A group build should probably have a more narrow range of subjects.

I was born in 69 so that would mean there's a HUGE list of aircraft for me to choose from. If the group build were narrowed down somewhat that would focus the group. For example; Select an aircraft that was stationed at the closest AFB to your birth town. I was born in Comox BC so I'd probably be building a 409 Squadron CF-101.

If someone was born in California, maybe an F-106 out of Edwards?

I think just picking any airplane flying during the year you were born is a bit unfocused.

You've got a point, but.

So that'll be an aircraft from your birthyear at the nearest airbase/station etc...

But that will also limit your own choice of airforce to the land that you were born in.

It means that I can't do an IDF/AF aircraft since I was born in Sweden. I can't do a German or Swiss, British or Australian either.

I could only build a Swedish Fighter from Kungliga Svea Flygflottilj/Royal Swedish Airforce F8 from Barkarby just north of Stockholm.

I don't like that.

My original idea was to show the modern fighter of today and the most modern fighter of your birthyear to show the progress over the years in design and capability.

:D

/Bosse

You've got a point, but.

So that'll be an aircraft from your birthyear at the nearest airbase/station etc...

But that will also limit your own choice of airforce to the land that you were born in.

It means that I can't do an IDF/AF aircraft since I was born in Sweden. I can't do a German or Swiss, British or Australian either.

I could only build a Swedish Fighter from Kungliga Svea Flygflottilj/Royal Swedish Airforce F8 from Barkarby just north of Stockholm.

I don't like that.

My original idea was to show the modern fighter of today and the most modern fighter of your birthyear to show the progress over the years in design and capability.

:thumbsup:

/Bosse

But that's part of the point of a group build. Focusing you on a subject that maybe isn't exactly what you normally do. Group builds need to be focused. Either on one airforce, one period of time, one mission type, etc.. Selecting an aircraft that was around when you were born is not nearly focused enough.

I would have to say that the most advanced aircraft that was "in operation" - combat operations, fleet/squadron service" was the F-4 Phantom II. Yes, the Tomcat flew for the first time in December 1970, but not in operational capacity. My birth month/year - June, 1970

In order to focus it even more, it should be the "most modern fighter of your birth year in active service at the time of your birth" versus what's the newest one of today..."

Edited by The_Animal