Hey all, recently I've been giving thought to a nice little trip. NYC has been a city I'd like to visit at least once in my life. So I'm kicking the idea around of a little family vacation if all goes well next Summer.

Of course most people are aware of many of the sights and things to do in NYC, obviously I'd like to see the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Central Park, heck even though I'm not much a baseball fan maybe seeing new and if it's still possible old Yankee stadium for a game and a visit, also visit Madison Square Garden...

But if I can get feedback, ideas and info that could make visiting one of the World's great cities, would be appreciated. I'd like to combine a list of ideas and a general info itinerary to run by others in my family and close friends who'd maybe want to make such a trip too.

It would not be a long time, budget would only allow maybe 4 nights 5 days, if all goes well maybe next August or early September.

Is it hard to figure out the subway? (I know, I know, I doubt it but I don't know, never been there :D .) are cabs easy to use for visitors? I'm sure Hotels may offer ways to take a city tour too. Tips on safety, you know all the tourist stuff. I plan though to make sure we would not look too touristy.

Anyways it's been a while since myself and family have made an out of country trip like this and I'd like to take the next year to work on and plan out what I hope would be a very memorable trip. I still have not even broken my idea to all my family/friends short of mentioning it to my dad and am wanting to invite some of my closet friends to see if this can all fall into place. FINGERS CROSSED!

So any ideas, advice, tips on what to do, see, to be safe and how to get around THE BIG APPLE! would be appreciated.

:cheers:

GO see the USS Intrepid Air-Sea-Space museum. Great collection of airplanes, and some great photo-ops. It's also a short walk from there to Ground Zero, which I would recommend everyone go see. Remember, if you see celebrities standing very still in a place in Times Square, that's not a photo shoot. It's the wax museum. ( I still laugh at the time we convinced my college roommate that no, that really IS Samuel L. Jackson!)

GO see the USS Intrepid Air-Sea-Space museum. Great collection of airplanes, and some great photo-ops. It's also a short walk from there to Ground Zero, which I would recommend everyone go see. Remember, if you see celebrities standing very still in a place in Times Square, that's not a photo shoot. It's the wax museum. ( I still laugh at the time we convinced my college roommate that no, that really IS Samuel L. Jackson!)

I think there was a pretty involved thread on this subject a few months ago. Some good info presented but most folks seemed to think that NYC wasn't worth it (I am in agreement on that one).

Good luck either way,

John

Lots of great things to do in NY!

One great restaraunt I like to recommend is a place called O'Lunny's on 42nd St. It's a great Irish pub and the food there is excellent.

Of course if you want Italian, the best place is Carmine's on 200 West 44th Street. Actually, my aunt's house is the best place for Italian, but her kitchen isn't exactly open for business and her and my uncle don't just cook for any body.

If you haven't seen a Broadway play, it's something you and your wife will enjoy.

NYC is an amazing place, absolutely worth making a visit! Anyone who tells you otherwise is sadly mistaken.

In four or five days, you can hit many of the big sights - Empire State Building, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, USS Intrepid, Central Park, Radio City are all good stops (I still need to get up to the "Top of The Rock") You shouldn't have any trouble navigating the subways - you can download a PDF map before your trip to make it easier finding your way. It really is the best way to get around Manhattan - and don't let RedHeadKevin fool you, it's not a short walk from the Intrepid to Ground Zero, unless you consider 4 miles a "short walk". But it is a quick trip on the subway. Ground Zero, the associated museum, and St. Paul's Chapel should not be missed.

I have a variety of NYC photos here, should give you some idea of what you will see:

http://www.moose135photography.com/New-York-City

I lived in NY for 15 years, it's a wonderful city with a terrific energy.

It is now one of the safest cities in the country and the subway is easy to understand.

On top of what was recommended above I would add the Metropolitan museum and the Circle Line boat tour of Manhattan.

If you feel like doing something different you can visit the Cloisters (all the way up to 200th / Dyckman ST.) it's something you don't see often in the US.

The Bronx Zoo is worth spending an afternoon and you should try to check places in Brooklyn (the real NY).

Buy a decent NY guide book it will help and have fun.

Awesome feedback guys, it only makes me more juiced to want to get all this going. I appreciate the feedback and advice and any more others may add.

Whenever I watch CSI NY I always get pumped to want to see NYC. and when I saw Jay Z and Alicia Keys music video "Empire State of Mind" it really helped to get that seed planted in my mind.

:worship:

Thanks also from me for the info. I will be in NYC on business but only for 2 nights. Fly in late afternoon on Sunday the 10th and fly out very early Tuesday. My associate and I have been looking for things we can fit in a couple of 4-5 hr periods at night to see. I have only been there once (June, 2001) and did catch the Intrepid and the Statue (a friend's sister was a Ranger there so got to go up to the crown before any of the tourists arrived.

We will be down in the Financial area so should be able to see Ground Zero, etc. Think we decided to pass on paying to go in the Empire State Building but I would like to get a few pictures. Central Park, Times Square, and maybe a few others are also on our try to see list.