My first WIP. Update 7/26/2013. PROJECT FINISHED!!!

Fantastic productionline there Juan!

One note about the canard flaps is that they should have an angle pointing the trailing edge of the flap towards the leading edge of the wing. The flaps deploys with the landing gear and are always deployed on ground.

The main wing elevons should point 4 degrees down when flaps are deployed, but they will sag some more when hydraulic pressure bleeds off after shutdown.

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:thumbsup:

Hi Jorgen! Thank you very much for your observation. The truth is that had previously observed that small triangle you speak of but I had completely forgotten about it. I suppose you mean this

15902881ii4.jpg

I think they are vortex generators. In any case, I prefer to leave this type of small details to the last moment before painting ...but I'll take this into account.

About the elevons on the main wing I'll display them on deployed position. In fact I have already cut off them from its original position in the kit wings.

Many thanks again for your help. Any other help would be appreciated.

Juan

Edited by JFVicente
Hi Jorgen! Thank you very much for your observation. The truth is that had previously observed that small triangle you speak of but I had completely forgotten about it. I suppose you mean this

Hi again!

No, I meant the moving part of the canard, the flap. It looked like you didn't bend them far enough...

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:thumbsup:

Hi again!

No, I meant the moving part of the canard, the flap. It looked like you didn't bend them far enough...

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:)

Hi Jorgen! Many thanks again, I was completly misunderstanding you. I get it now! I would have your pointing in consideration and will fold them some more when placed on the kit.

Thanks again!

Juan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again. Not a lot of progress in this update. I've been preparing and cleaning up many resin pieces, some of Dr Pepper's and many other that I've produced and casted to improve or to solve problems on the kit. At left are Dr. Pepper's parts (not all that I'm using, some have already been installed, such air intakes) and at right my own parts.

SAM_1396.jpg

Let see what all this stuff is.

This is the front landing gear bay that will replace original ones that is lacking of any detail

SAM_1401.jpg

The nose for the recce version with some imperfections fixed and cleaned (I think I already had shown it here)

SAM_1398.jpg

RAT vanes, turbines and doors, still on pouring blocks this two latter.

SAM_1405-1.jpg

The ventral cannon, ready to be installed.

SAM_1412.jpg

As I've previously said, for the exhaust area I will use the replacement from Dr Pepper's. This is an excelent improvement but still don't show all the depth of the afterburner duct. So a new larger duct was casted and the Dr Pepper's part cut in two

SAM_1410-1.jpg

When painted and reasembled this would be the final shape

SAM_1411.jpg

I added some detail on the interior of the duct, just scribbed parallel lines that will almost diseapear when finished...

I will display the control surfaces down, so I cut them from the kit's wings and casted four sets of them.

SAM_1414.jpg

The inner fairing of the control surfaces actuators are somewhat wrong in shape and dimensions, and in adition the extra pair of them that are present on the JA- 37 wing have been omitted from the wing of the kit, so new ones were build and casted several pairs of them to replace those of Heller.

SAM_1416.jpg

I also made masters for FOD covers and casted them, as you can see on this previuos pic.

Heller’s Viggen lacks of underfuselage side pylons, only present on the JA boxing, so I casted new ones from a modified pair from an old Matcbox kit of the viggen. They were rescribed and slightly resahaped.

SAM_1413.jpg

Well, thats all for now. I'll try to post some more progress during this week.

Opinions are welcome.

Juan

Edited by JFVicente

Hi friends, many thanks for your interest.

PoseidonSv, yes I did that tiny piece, and due to their small size was one of the most difficult parts of all that I've casted for this project

p60302461.jpg

I'll try to post some more progress at the end of this week.

Greetings.

Juan

Hi again. I've some more pics to illustrate a little progress.

I've instaled the replacement inner fairings (both on the fixed part of the wing as on the moveable surfaces)that I show on my previous post on all the wings.

Before

SAM_1483.jpg

and after

SAM_1484.jpg

The new is slightly larger, thinner and different in shape. It colud be not completly accurate, but I think it's more realistic.

In this pic you can see the wing of the Jaktviggen with the aditional fairing instaled and the control sufaces on place to check the result

SAM_1481.jpg

On the other hand, I've tested the fit of the replacement front landing gear bay. New cast bay is wider and deeper than the Heller part, so I enlarged the opening on the fuselage

SAM_1503.jpg

Here, the testing of the fit with the resin part show that some more adjustments will be necessary.

SAM_1502.jpg

Finally some painting work has been done on the engine parts.

These are the flame holders of the afterburner painted in Alclad matt aluminium

SAM_1519.jpg

Later they will received a dark wash to highlight some details.

Also the final part of the afterburner was painted in matt aluminium

SAM_1525.jpg

SAM_1524.jpg

I will mask the tiny ring on this part to preserve this colour on it, but the remainder will be painted on steel whilst the petals of the afterburner that can be seen on the first pic will be painted on gunmetal.

And that is all for now. I would really apreciate your opinions, specially about the colours that I'm planing to use on the afterburner parts, since I'm not completly sure about them.

Greetings.

Juan

¡Hola Juan! :wave:

Amigo, yer cockpit tubs 'n' instrument panels look superb for bein' in 1/72nd scale! :huh: ¿Cómo diantres le habéis hecho, tío? Joder!

Such an awesome 'n' interestin' bird the Viggen. Me's gonna be closely peepin' yer progress, bloke!

Salud, chaval :cheers:

Unc²

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again. Many thanks to Holmes, Unc2, Aigore and McCoy for your support. Your words are encouraging to me.

Uncle Uncool, merit by panels is not all mine, as they are prepainted Photoetched, not so the tubes that I had to scratchbuild, but it has been not as complex as it may look. As I've said previosly I took as a reference the neomega cockpit.

Aigore, I'm proud you're using as my reference my exhausts... You are now on my six.

Holmes, many thanks for your encouragement. My tenacity occasionally falters, but I expect to have some important progress in some days, when all the internal parts (gear bays, RAT vane and engines) were painted and instaled in place and I could start to close the frames...

I am preparing an update that I hope to have ready for posting tomorrow.

Greetings.

Juan

Hello again. Many thanks everybody for your encouragement. Finally I can show some more progress that I’ve achieved on my building.

Those are the exhaust rings painted as I mentioned on my previous post, ie, the exterior ring on steel and the inner petals on burnt metal.

SAM_1569-1-1.jpg.

Here is the exhaust dryfitted on its future placement fot test.

SAM_1573.jpg

I set aside the exhaust for some days and concentrate on detailing the main wheel wells.In this pictures you can see the original aspect of one of them (with a part of Eduard’s PE set on place).

SAM_1704.jpg

In order to hide the gap between the two parts of the wing I added some plasticard to the lower side to create the ceiling of the well…

SAM_1705.jpg

…and added some details to resemble the structure od the well.

SAM_1707.jpg

I added some plumbing and others details to simulate the plumbing and dress up the wheel well.

SAM_1720.jpg

As I mentioned previously one of the aircrafts will show all the doors of the wheel wells open, although it’s not usual on this aircraft when landed..This is the reason of being using this piece of PE and the adittion of some more detail. To represent more realistically the well I used an extra set of Eduard modified in the following manner.

SAM_1765.jpg

SAM_1766.jpg

SAM_1767.jpg

SAM_1774.jpg

I,ve added some more detail on this part, but that's all I can show for now. I hope to put the following progress tomorrow.

Would like to hear your opinions.

Juan

Hi again. I have some more pics of the work that I have done on the wheel wells. I added more plumbing to the all open well that was shown yesterday and this is the final result

SAM_1892.jpg

SAM_1893.jpg

SAM_1899.jpg

SAM_1900.jpg

SAM_1901.jpg

SAM_1902.jpg

Of course that lot of detailing could be added still, but I think that this is enought for this scale...

The remaining three wells received the same detailing, but only the part that will be visible...

SAM_1886-1.jpg

SAM_1882-1.jpg

SAM_1874-1.jpg

I also modified the inner doors of the well that I will show on open position.

SAM_1871-1.jpg

And that is all for now. The next step will be to paint all the wells as well as the RAT vane to start assembling fuselages, but this will be done the next week.

Opinions please.

Juan

Hi again. First of all many thanks to Dragan, Aigore, McCoy, Ruud and Polo for your kind words.

Now for a new round of pics of my progress.

I painted, washed and flat coated the interior of the wheel wells doors. Here you can see a pic of the most interesting of them, as the other doors are just plain, lacking any detail.

SAM_1974.jpg

I still have to paint some details on them.

I also washed with black paint the flame holders, then flat coated them and applied dark pastel chalk to achieve this burned effect.

SAM_1975.jpg

SAM_1977.jpg

The same was done to the afterburner duct, ie, applied a flat coat then some pastel chalks with a bit of water. For this process I used an old brush giving strokes liberally from front to rear part of the piece.

SAM_2015.jpg

And at least I could assemble the afterburners.

SAM_2014.jpg

I detail painted the front wheel wells, give them a wash a flat coated. Not an Aires quality result, but I think I’ve achieved a good result with this part, and a great improvement over the naked well of the kit part.

SAM_1990.jpg

SAM_1996.jpg

SAM_1998.jpg

The result is more convincing in the real part, maybe I should have taken the photos so close to the part.

Here one of the wells instaled on the JA fuselage, pending of curing the sorrounding area.

SAM_2000.jpg.

This is all by the moment.

Wait for your opinions.

greetings.

Juan

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning everybody. I´ve been a little bussy lately and and with little time for modeling, but I've managed to get some progress. To break a bit with the monotony in this project I change from time to time with the course that I´m following.

So I spent some time assembling the airbrakes from photoetched.

SAM_2206.jpg

SAM_2207.jpg

I love this kind of bits, but four pairs of them are are somewhat stressful

Also the access ladder was built. It´s a little gem of photoetched from MaestroModels, but it´s not suitable for the begginer. Some experience with PE is mandatory

SAM_2035.jpg

SAM_2037.jpg

This is the current state of the part, after a coat of yellow. I still have to paint the black areas.

SAM_2209.jpg

SAM_2208.jpg

SAM_2219.jpg

More to follow...