*Finished* Airfix SB2C Helldiver

I'm starting this kit for the group build.

_MG_8073B.jpg

Here's what is in the box:

_MG_8059A.jpg

I'm starting it tonight and I have a "work at home day" tomorrow due to a blizzard tonight. Let's see much much modeling I can sneak in...

Edited by waylandcool

I'm leaving the dive brakes as is. They will look fine under a coat of paint.

The crew in the kit look nice:

_MG_8284.jpg

Unfortunately, the crew is the best thing about the cockpit which is basically non-existant:

_MG_8286.jpg

Gunner's compartment is the same story:

_MG_8291.jpg

The tail guns are a pain to get off the sprue. I cut the left one almost in half lengthwise and had to repair and repaint it and I cut the barrel off the right gun and lost it to the carpet monster. I haven't decided whether I'm just going to leave it or hit Hobbytown and get some thin rod.

Right now, it's all buttoned up and the inner wing panels are assembled:

_MG_8292.jpg

_MG_8293.jpg

I'm going to putty the wing joins before I assemble the outer wings. Hopefully it hits the spray booth for primer by Saturday.

It's not a bad kit. The wings needed a little pushing and shoving to avoid have a step at the rear and there is a good size gap at the engine cowling but nothing a little putty can't fix.

The detail is about what I expected for a $8.95 kit from the 60's but it's a nice little weekend project or a decent basis for practicing scratchbuilding since it's not that expensive.

It's not a bad kit. The wings needed a little pushing and shoving to avoid have a step at the rear and there is a good size gap at the engine cowling but nothing a little putty can't fix.

The detail is about what I expected for a $8.95 kit from the 60's but it's a nice little weekend project or a decent basis for practicing scratchbuilding since it's not that expensive.

That pretty much sums up airfix in a nutshell

That comment is in most books abut the Helldiver. It's in the Squadron in Action book that I have. The plane had some real handling problems due to it's lack of stability, which is why the plane had such a large tail and horizontal stabs. Some of the problems were fixed with a stronger engine in the dash 3 but the plane was still a handful in landings.

The Helldiver is ready for primer tomorrow...

_MG_8509.jpg

_MG_8508.jpg

The only issue with the glass is the gunner's canopy needs some sanding to get a decent fit as the sprue gate and some flash that needs to be trimmed cause some fit problems. This kit could benefit from a vac canopy if you want to scratch build a cockpit. But since there's not much under there, the thick canopy isn't that big of a deal.

Edited by waylandcool

looking good

just wondering about your canopy masking and how you go about it. Do you cut the bits of tape to the right size then stick them in, or do you put a larger piece of tape over each pane, then carefully trace around the frame with a blade and remove the bits over the frames?

i've tried both and can't decide which one works best?

In this case, one big piece and then I trim it with a new #11 blade. That works on this kit beacause the canopy framing is raised and easier to cut.

Sometimes, I use smaller pieces with a little triming and sometimes I use liquid mask. It depends on the kit.

BTW I found a oops moment this morning, I glued the cowling on upside down. :bandhead2: I worked it off and reglued it the right way. I was wondering why it looked strange last night. :rolleyes:

That comment is in most books abut the Helldiver. It's in the Squadron in Action book that I have. The plane had some real handling problems due to it's lack of stability, which is why the plane had such a large tail and horizontal stabs. Some of the problems were fixed with a stronger engine in the dash 3 but the plane was still a handful in landings.

I did read in the book "The Pacific" by Stephen Ambrose, that the Helldiver suffered badly with the wing locking mechanism not working. In one instance the CO of a carrier simply bushed them all overboard before returning to harbour.

All painted:

_MG_8588.jpg

_MG_8586.jpg

_MG_8585.jpg

I decided to do an Gloss Sea Blue plane based on this picture dated 4-1-45, same time frame as the decals that say tri-color:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020948.jpg

Plus I have a build I'm doing with my Dad that is going to be Gloss Sea Blue and I wanted to see how this paint would look, it's MM Dark Sea Blue. I think it's a shade too dark but it's not too bad.