Revell Hawk T1 in 1/32nd scale

Hello Guy, may have to do one of these. Clearly from the price one cannot expect too much, but how does it compare to the Revell F-15, which from memory has panel lines more akin to tram lines.

You may find these useful, if you haven't seen them already

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6753616

http://www.ejvk.com/Red_Arrows/2008/Wallpa.../EJ_08_w024.jpg

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/rafcms/mediafil...9284CC52284.JPG

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/975873/L/

You just gotta luv the colour Red.

John

Hmmm.....decisions, decisions. I'll stop by later when I've had a chance to think about it but I think you all know my answer already. :salute:

Chris.......

Just leave the hole where it is - and move the fuselage to the right by a couple of mm...... :lol: :coolio:

Just trying to help.....

Ken

Gah!...you're right, the exhaust is offset slightly. :blink: Good eyes :thumbsup: I'm very grateful for the input sir.

Now what to do? Do I leave my modded version alone and be content with the fact that I had n't spotted the slight offset before........or.......do I bite the bullet and correct my correction?

Hmmm.....decisions, decisions. I'll stop by later when I've had a chance to think about it but I think you all know my answer already.

This decision is always a tough one, although I usually wind up making the change anyway, just like I know you will. I often worry that others might think I screwed up a build when things are a little out of alignment, even when they're supposed to be. In the end, I know it's correct- and that's all the really matters, isn't it Guy? ;)

Glad I could help. At the point in the build where you are right now, it'd be a tough decision on which way to go. The funny thing is that I've been flying T-45s off-and-on for over ten years as an instructor and I just realized a year or so ago that the GTS is offset. (I guess I never had climbed up and looked that closely) I actually discoverd the fact when I climbed up to get some pics for Mike Reeves with his camera. I won't be going back to modify my previous builds, and I won't modify the 1/48th Hawk I have in paint right now (started it two years ago before I knew). But all my future builds with reflect the offset.

To answer your question on the 1/32 kit: I won't modify my first one into a Goshawk, but who knows what the future has in store. I am about 75% into converting a 1/48th Airfix kit and it is a lot of work! That has gone on the back burner since there will be a 1/48th T-45 released later this year. :thumbsup: It might become a stand model since I hate for the work to go to waste.

Good luck with this build! Looking great! I especially like the seats, including the back seat with the "spron".

Cheers,

Gabe

Hello Guy, may have to do one of these. Clearly from the price one cannot expect too much, but how does it compare to the Revell F-15, which from memory has panel lines more akin to tram lines.

You may find these useful, if you haven't seen them already

You just gotta luv the colour Red.

John

Hello John, great to see you. How've you been? Many thanks for those superb images, they'll be very useful.

In answer to your question, I don't have any experience with the Revell F-15E (1/48th scale?), sorry, but I can confirm that the panel lines on this offering are very fine, subtle and restrained. For the money, this is a lovely model. As can be seen elsewhere, it builds up beautifully straight out of the box and looks the part. Of course, there are certainly areas where improvements can be made and in this scale, it would be rude not to eh? I do hope you get one. I'd love to see you work your magic on this! :thumbsup:

Chris.......

Just leave the hole where it is - and move the fuselage to the right by a couple of mm......

Just trying to help.....

Ken

;) ...sounds like a plan! You know Ken, I think you're on to something. I'll give it a go :blink:
This decision is always a tough one, although I usually wind up making the change anyway, just like I know you will. I often worry that others might think I screwed up a build when things are a little out of alignment, even when they're supposed to be. In the end, I know it's correct- and that's all the really matters, isn't it Guy?
Hi Chuck, yep, you're correct. Like you, I find it difficult to leave something when I know it's not right. I've watched you change numerous little things on your builds and always admire your tenacity so, inspired as I am, I've got to have a go at moving the exhaust.
Glad I could help. At the point in the build where you are right now, it'd be a tough decision on which way to go. The funny thing is that I've been flying T-45s off-and-on for over ten years as an instructor and I just realized a year or so ago that the GTS is offset. (I guess I never had climbed up and looked that closely) I actually discoverd the fact when I climbed up to get some pics for Mike Reeves with his camera. I won't be going back to modify my previous builds, and I won't modify the 1/48th Hawk I have in paint right now (started it two years ago before I knew). But all my future builds with reflect the offset.

To answer your question on the 1/32 kit: I won't modify my first one into a Goshawk, but who knows what the future has in store. I am about 75% into converting a 1/48th Airfix kit and it is a lot of work! That has gone on the back burner since there will be a 1/48th T-45 released later this year. ;) It might become a stand model since I hate for the work to go to waste.

Good luck with this build! Looking great! I especially like the seats, including the back seat with the "spron".

Cheers,

Gabe

Hello again Gabe, it's a pleasure to chat with you and I hope you'll follow along until the end so that you can keep me on the straight and narrow.

I hear you on the conversion from Hawk to Goshawk. There are a number of guys on the various forums contemplating the change and it sounds like alot of work. Maybe best to leave it until a resin conversion set becomes available (or better still, Revell release the T-45 version) and let someone else take the pain. I must admit, a couple of those recently applied special schemes are really beautiful though.

I removed the fuselage from the hole and then moved it over about 1mm. I also took the opportunity to re-visit the exhaust. On the previous incarnation I'd omitted the actual exhaust pipe which became evident from recently posted images. This time, I added the exhaust pipe within the original assembly and lowered the whole thing to bring the lip of the exhaust in line or fractionally below the level of the fuselage. (I'll clean up the hole before primer. )

tn_JFSexhaust011b.jpg

Now, I can hear the airbrake well calling me.........

Cheers.

:blink:

Nice progress, Guy!

Yeah, the more you're in and the more research you undertake, the more you're sucked into the build by making these or those improvements which grow like a snow ball. :) So I suspect it's not gonna be a quick build as you maybe planned it to be when opened the kit. ;) Yes, the meticulous approach syndrome, so familiar to me! :D

Cheers and happy modeling.

Alexander

:cheers:

Edited by Eastern
Nice progress, Guy!

Yeah, the more you're in and the more research you undertake, the more you're sucked into the build by making this or that improvements which grow like a snow ball. So I suspect it's not gonna be a quick build as you maybe planned it to be when opened the kit. Yes, the meticulous approach syndrome, so familiar to me!

Cheers and happy modeling.

Alexander

Hello my friend, you are so right. What I'd intended to be a quick and painless build has already become more involved than I'd planned. It sneaks up on you though does n't it? Before we know it we see a detail that has been omitted and feel a need to address the inadequacy. Then, there is another detail and another.......

Oh well, at least it's fun at the moment and that's the main thing.

I had family commitments yesterday so did n't get to work on the airbrake as I'd planned. What I did do was install the intakes and their trunking so I thought one or two might like to hear my impressions.

Referring to the images I'll address my thoughts to the numbered arrows.

tn_Intakes001a.jpg

I found the fit to be generally good without too much need for hard work.

The lip at #1 is slight and should sand away with little effort.

The seam at #2 was good. The two parts joined with only a minimal seam showing. This sanded away easily and will require very little, if any, filler.

The seam at #3 is also good although it does appear heavier than it should when compared to the full sized aircraft. In fact, if I was n't planning on using covers I'd be inclined to fill this seam and the adjacent panel line completely.

tn_Intakes002a.jpg

One thing I will have to take more care with is removing the parts from the sprues. #4 shows where my sidecutters tore the plastic and left a slight hole which will require remedial work. I've found the plastic used by Revell to be more brittle than that used by either Tamiya or Trumpeter but it likes Tamiya thin cement and Revells' own contacta adhesive.

Arrow #5 shows where a mold line needs to be removed from around the very front of the intake lip.

tn_Intakes005a.jpg

The internal seam #6 was better on the left side than the right for me. I would n't wish to be reaching inside to fill and sand the seam though. It's a shame in a way because the remainder of the inside of each intake trunk is beautifully smooth in contrast to the slightly grainy surface texture of the rest of the model.

tn_Intakes006a.jpg

Perhaps the worst area of the intakes is the step between each side half at the front of the intake mouth #7. No matter how much care I took I was still left with a mismatch which would require sanding to shape then filling. Of course, I'm taking the cowards' way out by using scratch built intake covers but anyone showing the intakes in open configuration will have to use a little elbow grease to get the best results.

I hope these observations come in handy for anyone building this kit.

Cheers.

:salute:

Great start as usual Geedub! This actually will be the first that I have had the opportunity to start with you as opposed to trying to catch up to months worth of work already done! Can't wait for your next update bound to be superb as always!

Jeremy

Hello my friend, you are so right. What I'd intended to be a quick and painless build has already become more involved than I'd planned. It sneaks up on you though does n't it? Before we know it we see a detail that has been omitted and feel a need to address the inadequacy. Then, there is another detail and another.......

Oh yeah! In this point we are an absolute mirror of each other. :worship: The same with my current Kiowa build: from the first time I was keeping in mind building OOB but you know, it's not my style. :cheers: So, having made a shallow plunge, I've found myself diving deeper and deeper. :)

BTW, the kit (I mean yours one) gives you some issues to fix. Sure, you'll cope with them nicely.

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, thanks for stopping by.

JMan, glad to have you tag along and I'm happy that you like things so far.

No doubt you're getting suckered into the perfectionist model trap,

Marcel

Hi Marcel, great to see you. Yeah, I just can't help it. :( I tried so hard to build this one without resorting to loads of extras but........
from the first time I was keeping in mind building OOB but you know, it's not my style.

Alexander

:rofl: .......ditto!

Hi Alexander, I know exactly what you mean. Man!, it's just so tough to ignore issues that leap out at you right?

Oh well, I'll try to keep any corrections to a minimum but I can't promise anything.

Anyhoo, here's where we're at with this one.

After eyeing up the tailplanes I noticed that many reference photos showed a slight sag with the power off. To replicate this I removed the beautifully fitting tabs from the kit parts, filled the slots, added a pin to the tailplane then drilled a hole to receive the newly added pin......

tn_Tailplanes002.jpg

This means that I can now pose the tailplanes with a bit of droop on. At this time I also added the fillet, or "bacon slicer" and its' guides.

tn_Tailsection005.jpg

Whilst I was attending to the tailplanes another item was brought to my attention. Revell have modelled an early tail on this Hawk. Later tails are more raised and square in profile. To recreate this I sliced along the top of the fuselage in order to wedge it to the new profile.

tn_Tailsection018.jpg

tn_Tailsection015.jpg

Now you know how it is, you're looking at something one time and then something else becomes apparent....well,....I was staring at some reference photos showing the rear of the fuselage and decided that the hips of the fuselage were a bit too pronounced on the model. The real deal roughly follows the white dotted lines so it was out with the sanding stick again.

tn_Tailsection023.jpg

Before I started I pressed a blob of two pack modelling clay inside the fuselage just in case I got carried away.....lucky I did :cheers:

A feature that Revell have omitted from their offering are the raised dome headed rivets that adorn the rear of the

aircraft. I used Archer raised surface detail resin rivets to add them to my model.

tn_Rivets006.jpg

I think they'll look ok under a coat or two of paint. (Notice where I sanded through the plastic all the way to the two pack...)

Another area ripe for some re-modelling are the flaps. When parked the flaps of the Hawk also droop as the pressure bleeds away. For some reason (perhaps to more easily depict an airborne aircraft?) Revell offer moveable ailerons and fixed flaps. However, they do helpfully provide recessed lines along where the flaps need to be seperated so making the cuts is easy. Once removed, Evergreen stock was used to fill in the gaps. This was sanded to an aerofoil section plus I also added more stressed skin texture in the same way as before.

tn_Flaps009.jpg

The next task was to add the smaller secondary flap. I used Evergreen stock again and sanded this to the pronounced aerofoil of the full sized deal. I cheated on this one though as the concave curve of the undersurface only extends a few mm along the length of the flap.

tn_Flaps013.jpg

These will be added later in the build as something tells me they will be quite fragile.

Whilst I was plugging away at the rear of the aircraft a member over on LSP pointed out that the ventral fins of the Hawk are merely flat plates rather than the sculpted affairs in the kit. Once again, the trusy sanding stick came to the rescue.

Before

tn_Ventralfillet01.jpg

After

tn_Ventralfillet02.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

So that just about brings things up to date except for this final bit. I managed to paint and assemble the main gear wells too.

Inspired by the smashing job that Iain did on his Hawk I left these entirely box stock.

tn_Wheelbays012.jpg

tn_Wheelbays013.jpg

Bye for now, I'm back to the grindstone. :rofl:

Inspired by the smashing job that Iain did on his Hawk I left these entirely box stock.

If it wasn't April 2nd I would have called you out on leaving something "entirely box stock" as an April Fools Joke. I will, however, mark this date as the day Guy didn't modify something in a model build. Unbelievable! Guy is human after all! :P

So that just about brings things up to date except for this final bit. I managed to paint and assemble the main gear wells too.

tn_Wheelbays012.jpg

tn_Wheelbays013.jpg

Bye for now, I'm back to the grindstone. :nanner:

:worship:

What?? Are you photoshoping again?? :wub:

Jokes beside, magnificent job on the wells! Crisp and flawless! :banana:

BTW, using the riveting sheets gives a great result.

Alexander

:worship:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

Good to see everyone, thanks for stopping by.

Hi Chuck and Anders, yep, you read it correctly. Totally box stock and boy did it feel good :D Trouble is, I'm finding stuff elsewhere so I'm still getting bogged down with needless modifications. :doh:

Hi Girolamo, Alexander and Marcel, thanks so much for your generous words of encouragement, very much appreciated. :)

I've managed to make the smoke pipes that are used to inject dyes (coloured diesel fuel?) into the jet exhaust.

Two diameters of micro tubing for the mount and the pipe. I can remove the pipes to paint the fuselage then simply replace them later.

tn_Smokepipes004.jpg

tn_Smokepipes001.jpg

Cheers.

I've managed to make the smoke pipes that are used to inject dyes (coloured diesel fuel?) into the jet exhaust.

Appropos of nothing in particular..........

About a million years ago - when the Red Arrows were based at RAF Kemble - our village's Women's Institute had a talk by a young Reds Flight Lieutenant about their newly delivered Hawks (I live quite close to Kemble).

Naturally, all us husbands went along to hear a very interesting talk about the introduction of the Hawk into Reds service - it was replacing their previous mount - the Folland Gnat T.1.

They apparently were having problems making a decent smoke trail with the Hawks :woot.gif:

Because the turbofan Adour in the Hawk ran a lot cooler than the turbojet Orpheus of the Gnat, the diesel oil that was injected into the exhaust would not create a good smoke trail.

They had to experiment a lot with the mixture to get the right formula to make it work properly.

Apparently the white smoke is pure diesel, the red and blue smoke (hence the three pipes) has a coloured dye mixed in.

The oil and dye is housed in the modified gunpod.

Now back to the regular scheduled build.............

Great progress BTW Guy ...... :)

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Guy, the question for me is not can I improve on this, but could I equal it. The cockpit looks really splendid, as do all the other mods.

How are these Archer rivets applied/fixed with them having thickness? Do they easily come off i.e. you have to be careful until painted/lacquered

Guy come on, this build was never going to be quick and easy with you. There is a spare padded cell next to mine when all we will be able to do is reminisce! :rolleyes:

:cheers: John

Hello all,

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Karl, Richard, Marcel and John (Skii) many thanks for the generous words fellahs, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Hi Ken, neat story thanks. It looks like they got the issues figured out eventually. They certainly lay down plenty of smoke these days.

Guy, the question for me is not can I improve on this, but could I equal it. The cockpit looks really splendid, as do all the other mods.

How are these Archer rivets applied/fixed with them having thickness? Do they easily come off i.e. you have to be careful until painted/lacquered

Guy come on, this build was never going to be quick and easy with you. There is a spare padded cell next to mine when all we will be able to do is reminisce!

John

Hello John, smashing to see you.I'm sure that you could easily improve on things having already seen your track record my friend ;)

The Archer rivet transfers apply in the same fashion as other water slide decals but they are indeed fragile. (I will be forced to replace a few that I've unwittingly removed)

Care must be taken to avoid having to redo too many. I've painted over some now and they seem pretty fixed although I'm still treating them with due care.

This was intended to be a straight forward build to give me a short break from the F-14 wheel bay but I inevitably began looking at reference photos (big mistake) and could n't help "adjusting" one or two things. :rolleyes: Now it's become just as much of a chore as the F-14 wheel bays.......:doh:

Serves me right!

Hmmm, the sleeves of this nice clean, white jacket look a bit long. Mind you, that room of yours looks comfy what with all of that plush padding. Think you could move over a bit please and make room ?........ :lol: