Trumpeter 1/32 RNZAF A-4K "Kahu Mod"

Anthony, this is coming along very nicely. It is going to be a gorgeous hotrod.

I notice in this picture you can still see the ‘extension’ joint.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn90/Anthonyg/IMG_1100.jpg

I find the best way to get a seamless joint is to apply thin CA with a fine microbrush, then W&D(wet) within 10 -15 mins with viewing at a shallow angle into the light. This is intended to be helpful, not a criticism.

Regards

John

Watching this build brings back memories of me pestering my Father to take me to Wigram airfield just to watch the Skyhawks fly - of course, this was when Wigram was still operating and Helen hadn't reduced the Air Force to a few cruddy Hawker trainers :soapbox:

As much as I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product I am really enjoying your WIP! I've been thinking of buying one myself but shelf space is limited

Thanks again for helping to bring back the memories of a happy time Anthony!

Simon

Thanks Simon, nice to hear from another Kiwi here.

Yes mate, I was the same always loved the A-4 blasting around. Just sad for my son he never got to see them fly. We are getting a T-Bird at Wigram in a week or 2 (NZ6254) to go on display at the RNZAF Museum and she will be totally complete incl engine and attack computers etc....

Do you know there is a new book coming out this month dedicated to RNZAF Skyhawks? It will be the ultimate reference and produced by an ex RNZAF A-4 techie.

Will have another update this weekend

Cheers

Anthony

Yes, I also have a son - all be it he's only 7 months old, and I hope he'll be just as into aircraft as myself and my Father to. That's one of the really great things about living here in Oz, you get to see the F18's and other really cool military aircraft that you never see in NZ. I was going to go to the Airshow here a while ago just to see the F22 but I fell sick and didn't go :crying2:

Anyway, keep up the great work your doing on your A-4!

Si

Thanks Si!

Well, I have been playing with my new Nikon D5100, so took some pics today.

Building up the shape of the intakes with superglue....looking pretty ugly.

camcamera027.jpg

camcamera032.jpg

Primer on and scribing almost finished as well as a little cosmetic finishing.

camcamera034-1.jpg

camcamera037.jpg

camcamera035.jpg

camcamera030.jpg

The intake is a perfect drop fit now and will only need a light buff to blend into the fuse and should leave a nice fine panel line.

Have yet to scribe the access panel on the intake lip as well as the light on the leading edge.

Have to finish off the other side now!

Thanks for looking

Thanks Alexander, I am glad you like her! Very much a compliment from you! She will have your/Zacto AIM-9L's fitted too!

Corsairman, thanks and great to hear from you again....I still watch and admire your work on here! When I have used so much CA to build areas up I use a 0.1mm Tamiya razor saw (brought on ebay) rather than my Tamiya scriber. The reason is that there is a risk of chipping or not getting an even panel line. So I simply run Dymo tape along the line to be done and carecufful pass the razor saw along until I am happy with the result.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Anthony

I should have another update (maybe later today??) with the intakes attached to the fuse.

For those of you that love Skyhawks, we here in NZ are all waiting with baited breath for this new book

http://www.willsonscott.biz/catalogue/military/skyhawks-the-history-of-the-rnzaf-skyhawk/

Don Simms is an ex RNZAF Mech and has been working on this since 1994. It is HUGE and is crammed with photo's!! He worked on our A-4's until their retirement.

Sorry for the plug but Don's a good friend and passionate about the Kiwi Skyhawks, this labor of love deserves mentioning in case you dont hear about it anywhere else!

Cheers

Anthony

Here we go, I thought you might like to know where I am at right now. I have fitted my Starboard intake up to the kit and got a pretty decent fit. I had a little blending at the top which I have now primed. This just needs to be tidied up along the inside join where the intake glues to the inner splitter(?) panel between the fuse and intake. Then the panel lines need re-scribing in a couple of places.

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

Might get the other intake on tonight....

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Anthony

Anthony .

This is A S T O U N D I N G ... :clap2::clap2:

Very detailed, and SO neat..Your thread is a pleasure to follow as it glides along smoothly.

AWESOME work Anthony.INSPIRING work from you as always... :thumbsup2:

...{I hope you and your family and all those in CHRISTCHURCH are all okay after the latest tremors and earthquake that happened a few days back}

HOLMESY :worship::worship:

edit:spelling error.

Edited by HOLMES

Hey Holmsey

Nice to hear from you, and thanks for asking about the latests earthquakes. Getting pretty tiresome but we are doing ok. House, family and models are fine!

Cheers

Anthony

Oh good to hear that Anthony..

Keep your pecker up...smile! :thumbsup:

HOLMESY

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have actually been working away on this but I am working on a 48th Harvard build for a friend.

In the meantime I am really hoping that Aires will release a cockpit set I can then upgrade to KAHU and wheelbays etc. And then Eduard will hopefully do an etch set so I can have the wing vortex generators......

Intakes all in and tidied up.

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

Thanks for dropping by

Cheers

Anthony

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses.

I have been finishing up a few projects recently as well as a build for a friend who asked if I could make a model of his dads Harvard. I am putting the finishing touches on this and then back to the Skyhawk. I am going to work on this in conjunction with my Revell 32nd BK-117 detailed build on the helicopter section.

Thanks again for the kind words. I am keen to get back to it also.

Madhatter, no need to worry, there are plenty of other things I can do in the meantime!

Cheers

Anthony