A quick question about Viper MKII

Hi everyone

I just have a question about the Viper MK-II - why do they have intakes when they fly in space?

I haven't read any tech specs about the craft and haven't watched the show but from a purely outsider's aspect, the intakes seem redundant in their design.

If they don't suck in air what do they suck in? What is their point other than aesthetics?

Cheers

ok, but I guess that leads to another question: what do they run on?

Presumably, the engines don't need air to burn what ever fuel source they run on to produce energy and that unit also doesn't need air to be cooled as they generally spend most of their time in space, even if they did enter an atmospheric condition, do they still really need air intakes?

... you do realize of course, the Viper MkII isn't real and for a TV show ... in other words, it looks cool and doesn't matter how it works. Just like say the FTL drives, they work just fine in serving their plot purpose.

... you do realize of course, the Viper MkII isn't real and for a TV show ... in other words, it looks cool and doesn't matter how it works. Just like say the FTL drives, they work just fine in serving their plot purpose.

LOL - yeah of course I realise that :)

I was having minor paint and fit issues with my build and I stopped and looked at it and asked myself; 'why does it even have these things? It mostly flies in space and there's no need for air in these fighters up there". I just wondered if someone out there may know.

I agree you though - the main point is it looks cool and that is what matters most but there are times when you question the function of something that's a pain in the butt to paint and mask neatly.

(edit: typo)

Edited by The Madhatter

ok, but I guess that leads to another question: what do they run on?

Presumably, the engines don't need air to burn what ever fuel source they run on to produce energy and that unit also doesn't need air to be cooled as they generally spend most of their time in space, even if they did enter an atmospheric condition, do they still really need air intakes?

Have you ever watched the show? The Vipers, like all the other spacecraft in the show, use "tylium" fuel (whatever that is) for propulsion. I would guess the inlets, as has been mentioned, are used for atmospheric flight. It's more efficient to allow the engines to run in a jet mode when flying through air. Oxidizers could be carried in separate tanks and used when in space. The powerplants may also use some sort of ion propulsion when running exoatmospheric.

Edited by MiG31

thanks for the explanation! As I said in my first post - I've never watched the show so my question was of one who's got no idea about any of the technicalities.

No problem. It should be noted that quite a few "spacecraft" in sci-fi are shown with inlet-like features, like the X-Wing. Another point to consider with the Mk. II is that the blades seen through the inlets may not be part of a fan, but rather louvres that open to permit retro exhaust, in addition to air in-flow for atmospheric flight.

I always particularly liked the Vipers' artificial horizon going wild when battling the Cylons.

Handy instrument that but in deep space ?

Mind you I only really watched the classic SF series because the girls tended to wear very tight outfits :yahoo:

I always particularly liked the Vipers' artificial horizon going wild when battling the Cylons.

Handy instrument that but in deep space ?

It's handy in atmosphere. As for spaceflight, real spacecraft, such as Apollo, have or had similar devices.

Artificial horizon...how about this: To navigate you need a reference point. Or in this case, several points. You take the galaxy and determine the center horizontally and vertically. You calibrate your instruments for the horizontal. When you pull up your instrument will show you are traveling above the center and the verticle will show the angle of the climb. Or dive if you screwed up the calibration.

It's the same reason that the same red button on the bridge of the Enterprise does 12 completely different things...

Mind you I only really watched the classic SF series because the girls tended to wear very tight outfits :yahoo:

You may be in for a bit of culture shock when you start the new show, but you won't be lacking for eye candy, trust me on that!

As for the intakes... why, they run on dark matter, don'cha know?

:rolleyes:

To digress for a moment, I get that it just has to look good and feel right, but one thing that REALLY burns my biscuts (so to speak) is the fact that the spinning blades.... well....

they didn't even make them round!!!

They could have made a bit of a buffer or sculpted framework for an off-shape inlet that blends smoothly into round blades, but noooOOOOooo... They couldn't even do that!

It's a major blunder IMO. There were some other minor things but this really bugs me. Even if you know nothing about space ships of the future (past?) or nothing about aerdoynamic design, you know that round things spin properly, and misshapen ovals do NOT.

Oh well.

Edited by Mark M.

It's the same reason that the same red button on the bridge of the Enterprise does 12 completely different things...

Nah, that's just a multi-function switch, similar to multi-function screens on modern fighters. See how far the Trek writers were seeing in to the future! :woot.gif:

Bill

To digress for a moment, I get that it just has to look good and feel right, but one thing that REALLY burns my biscuts (so to speak) is the fact that the spinning blades.... well....

they didn't even make them round!!!

They could have made a bit of a buffer or sculpted framework for an off-shape inlet that blends smoothly into round blades, but noooOOOOooo... They couldn't even do that!

It's a major blunder IMO. There were some other minor things but this really bugs me. Even if you know nothing about space ships of the future (past?) or nothing about aerdoynamic design, you know that round things spin properly, and misshapen ovals do NOT.

Oh well.

I heard (read) that they were some kind of louver and not actually blades. I can't say how true that is mind you

I'm inclined to doubt that. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying I just doubt it.

The engines themselves resemble standard turbine jet engines on Earth, and on the original series too. That means compressor blades inside the intakes. I was an avid watcher of the new show and never saw anything to indicate they were louvres of any kind. I think that's some kind of post-facto explain-it-away idea brought up by fans.

How many functions does one button have on say, your cell phone ? Depends on what mode you're in, it has several functions ...

Gregg

How many functions does one button have on say, your cell phone ? Depends on what mode you're in, it has several functions ...

Gregg

wow.. way to completely miss the point.

wow.. way to completely miss the point.

Wow, I know you were trying to be sarcastic but ... failed ... Here's two thumbs up for you though ... :thumbsup2:

I know what your point was ... :rolleyes:

Good job on whiffing on mine though ...

Gregg