I'm not sure if this is funny, sad, unbelievable or what...but imagine your mom in my case my wife (who doesn't fly) up just enjoying the fact that she can pilot an aircraft and suddenly out of nowhere seemingly two Vipers are on your wing, just barely hanging in the air trying to stay with you, I remember a movie years ago where a family flying in a Mooney with no radio was intercepted by two Navy Phantoms any way Obama was in Chicago when this happened, I can just imagine. While I was in West L.A. for treatment he came to town and they cordoned off an area around his route in and out and had West L.A. traffic snarled for blocks around it. check the linky for what happened this time

I did what?!?!

If Obama is as understanding as he should be..political preference be damned he should accept it for what it was purely an unfortunate mistake and put the dogs on leash. Though there are different rules for folks who get around above Terra Firma.

Edited by Angels49

PIC = final authority for all phases of the flight. It's her responsibility to check all pertinent information pre-flight. Just because she's a nice little old lady doesn't change that.

Well we can't put her back to a wall for sure.....if necessary perhaps a very stern warning with a suspension of her flying privileges for a 6 mos or a year will suffice in this case, she clearly meant NO!! harm, and probably thought WTH think I'll go up for a bit.

Having never gone to Chitown I can only imagine what the GA air traffic is like....that being organized pandemonium and that's on a good day. The worst I know of is around Lindbergh in San Diego. Some airliners call extra crewmembers forward and use them as extra eyes for that errant pilot on VFR. A sunday driver in the sky If you will.

Edited by Angels49

The way she sounded in the article it almost sounds as if she knew exactly what she was doing. It's a big coincidence that her computer just "happened" to not be working and that she "happened" to not have her radio on. I'm also positive that she never turned on a television or looked at a newspaper and had absolutely NO idea the president would be in town right? When she stated that she was a Republican and "didn't vote for him" that set off the alarm bells for someone making a statement. She's very lucky she wasn't brought down forcibly.

I remember years ago when younger Bush was Pres he was in town for some speech somewhere and I guess there was a Cessna little private plane flying around on radar but wasn't responding to anything. We have a couple small airports around that civilian pilots fly out of so this is very common. Anyway I was at the mall and all you hear is this loud roar and looked up as an F-15 was low and breaking hard and fast toward the direction of the one airport. This was better than any air show pass I've ever seen. Found out in the paper that the story was about the plane not responding so they stuck on the wing and forced them to land. Not sure what the story went afterwards but that guy was close to being knocked down as well.

She should consider herself fortunate that she didn't have a Sidewinder-assisted landing. I'll bet even if she gets her pilot's license suspended, she'll ignore it and keep flying anyway. I love these people who think the rules and laws apply to everyone but them.

Agree with the masses. Should be checkign your computer, someone's computer, then checkin radio...

DUH it was turned off right outside of Ohare......riiiight!

As Ham has seen, I too saw the F-16's move a Cessna in the air out front of our house with the wife and neighbors. Bush was traveling from Tampa to Orlando during re-election campaign.....the noise had all the neighbors out front!!

Taught the bushpilot a lesson....

-Jim

If I had my way, she'd be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog $£%! out of Hong Kong!

Vince

This is why I love you, Vince.

My dad busted a Presidential TFR in 2004. Some Oregon F-15 directed him to the secret service. They basically told him they knew it was an accident but they have enough to worry about and be more cautious in the future. This isn't exactly the first time a story like this has happened. Acting like it only just started in 2008 is pretty stupid and I think that was kind of the gist of the story, as untrue as it is. If you are in and around Chi Town you have to know the president may be around more often than other places.

She should consider herself fortunate that she didn't have a Sidewinder-assisted landing. I'll bet even if she gets her pilot's license suspended, she'll ignore it and keep flying anyway. I love these people who think the rules and laws apply to everyone but them.

These are all valid reasons for killing a fellow American. Next time someone runs a redlight and gets pulled over, I hope the cop just executes them.

I don't think she should have been killed via sidewinder, nor that her license should be suspended for 6-12 months, and as long as she is a taxpayer I don't think she should have to pay for the jet fuel. I really don't want to make her a martyr one way or the other. Give her the slap on the wrist and if she does it again Gitmo her. quench everyone's blood thirst?

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

If I had my way, she'd be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog $£%! out of Hong Kong!

Vince

Exactly! What a stupid rhymes with SWAT. I have no sympathy for her whatsoever. As my dad used to say, 'If you're looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary between a slang term of feces that starts with "S" and syphilis.'