Arctic / Antarctic GB?

So any interest in an Arctic / Antarctic GB? All things associated with these regions, based there (or close enough to work there), explorations, famous missing, crashed, recovered items etc.

Technically the Arctic / Antarctic circles are Latitude 66 degrees North / South, but we can call it 60 degrees which would cover most of Alaska, Greenland, Iceland, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Northern Canada, and Northern Russia (in the south this covers all of Antarctica instead of just most of it).

Possibilities are pretty broad, USCG at Kodiak (base is just below 60 degrees but the aircraft visits often enough), equipment assosiated with NORAD's DEW line (69 degrees), northern military bases in the US (Alaska), Canada, and Russia. Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Iceland. Scientific bases in the Arctic, Greenland and Antarctica and the equipment used to support them. The international ice patrol etc. Lost / recovered equipment associated with the region such as the P-38 Glacier girl recovered from Greenland.

The various arctic / antarctic explorers are obviously an option, those involving aircraft would include Roald Amundson (1925, Dornier Do J), Richard Byrd (Fokker F.VII "Josephine Ford" used in his 1926 attempt to find the North Pole, a Ford Tri-motor "Floyd Bennett", Fairchild FC-2W2 "Stars & Stripes" and Fokker Universal Monoplane "Virginia" were used in his first expedition to Antarctica 1928-30), US Operation Highjump (1946-47), Operation Deep Freeze 1 (1955-56), Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition (1955-58), 1st Soviet Antarctic Expedition (1955-57) etc

Potentially open to more than aircraft.

Admittedly I am inspired by the new Max Decals Antarctic helicopters sheets posted in the helicopters section

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=235266

He also has some nice Antarctic C-130 decals for those who prefer that their wings not rotate.

Fireball has a sheet for Arctic Cobras and USCG HH-60J / HH-65 with markings for the Kodiak Alaska station.

http://www.fireballmodels.info/fmd-11.htm

http://www.fireballmodels.info/fmd-10.htm

http://www.fireballmodels.info/fm48_d08.htm

There are decals out there for Alaska based USAF aircraft. Canada, USSR / Russia, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland also should have plenty of options.

If there is interest I'm thinking this winter fits the theme (at least for those of us in the Northern hemispere) so Nov-Dec ish to whenever. Maybe solstice to solstice (Dec 22, 2011 to June 20, 2012) to go along with the long days / nights the regions are known for. We can come up with a snappier title if this gets going.

Ok, glad to see I'm not the only one who thought this could be fun. :sunrevolves:

Came up with a few more possible subject ideas, most of the off shore oil rigs are well outside of the area of consideration but I did find that the Beaufort sea (north of Alaska / Yukon) does have a handful of rigs, and some of the "North sea" rigs are actually located in the Norweigian sea which is above 60 degrees north latitude so would be eligable. This would allow for some of the large oil / gas air services such as ERA helicopters in Alaska, CHC Helicopter of Canada, and Bristow in the UK.

Belcher Bits and CanMilAir offer a lot of decals for Canadian subjects, many of which may be appropriate for the GB.

http://www.belcherbits.com/

http://www.canmilair.com/

Linden Hill specializes in Eastern European subjects so potentially has decals for Northern Russia based aircraft.

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/

Belcher Bits and CanMilAir offer a lot of decals for Canadian subjects, many of which may be appropriate for the GB.

As of June, CanMilAir is no longer selling decals.

So it looks like 3 probablys (OBD, Dr Hornii and Marlin) at this point which is a bit small. I'd like to see at least 8 or 10 with a strong maybe before going any further (although if it ends up just 4 of us I'd be happy to start a post for an unofficial mini GB :tumble: )

So I'm asking anyone who thinks they would participate to plaese drop in a post showing interest, Thanks.

I think I would be interested in this GB. Not sure what to build but it will be something featured on one of the Maxdecal series of Arctic-Antarctic sheets. The Orange-and-White UH-1B Huey on the new Maxdecals sheet has really caught my eye so it will probably be that model in 1/72. Joe also has some really nice markings for the DHC Beaver and Otter as well but I'll probably go with the Huey. Can you give a heads-up on the rotorheads section when things kick off. It should get even more people interested. Thanks.

LD.

Ok, I'm in on this one only because I have a model that needs to be built. My offering will be the Revel Ger. Canadair Cl-604 in US. FAA markings. N86 was THE FIRST corporate sized jet to overfly the south pole station while calibrating the ILS.

I'm counting 7 that appear to be interested and maybe 10 or 11 if those asking about specific aircraft are interested.I'll check with the GB powers that be and see if we can't get on the calendar.

LD I will poke into the helicopter section when / if this gets off the ground.

How about adding a poll to the topic?

Hey, would that Valhalla mustang idea work? Know anybody that makes decals for it?

I don't think I can add a poll once the post is started.

I'm not really familiar with the Valhalla P-51. I found some photos and it looks like it might be arctic markings. If it was (or is supposed to represent) an Alaska based Mustang then it should be fine. I don't know about decals but they don't look hard to do except maybe the circular graphic (not sure what it is).

Is Bardufoss in Norway far North enough to count?

69 degrees north puts it within the actual arctic circle, not just my loose its cold up here criteria so yes it is eligable.

If anyone's interested, I just bought the Max Decals Antarctic Helicopters sheet in 1/72 and plan only on using the Japanese CH-101 markings. I'd be willing to sell off the other markings for maybe $2-3 each to any takers. PM me if interested.

I'm in! If Keflavik it's high enough (63° 59' 0" N)

Too bad I've already started with two Keflavik Phantoms (F-4C and F-4E)

No problem with other 57.FIS projects, only building time.

F-89D, F-102A, T-33A, F-15C

Ok, I've sent a PM to Steve Filak to try and get a slot for the GB. I've asked for the period Dec 22, 2011 - June 20, 2012 solstice to solstice, aka longest night to longest day in the north (reverse for the south).

SAU, Keflavik would be fine. If you haven't got too far you could save one of the F4s for later, otherwise they would be a great warm up to promote the upcoming GB as you do have a few months. ;)