1/32 Italian AF 25 years of Tornado special

Hi all,

I present to you my latest build: Revell 1/32 Tornado IDS in Italian AF "25 Years of Tornado" special scheme.

This is a good kit and I really enjoyed building it. Parts breakdown is straight forward with no major problems. As usual, I threw in a bunch of after market goodies (which caused some drama) and here they are:

- Aires resin cockpit (one of their best)

- Aires resin jet exhaust (again, one of their best)

- CAM avionics bays (so-so quality)

- TwoMikes wing glove seal

- SAC metal landing gears

- Hobby Decal metal pitot tube

- Phoenix decals (nicely printed, but carrier film way too thin)

- an extra BOZ pod from another Revell donor kit

- Sidewinder missiles from an Academy Hornet kit

I suspect this jet in this particular scheme only did airshows and thus was never armed. But it feels very lacking to have a Tonka completely unarmed, so I threw in the AIM-9's and the kit's LGB. Probably accurate but they look good on the jet.

Paint was almost all Gunze acrylics. Metallic areas were painted with Alclad. Here are the pics, I hope you like.

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

fin3.jpg

fin4.jpg

fin5.jpg

more to come....

Hi all,

I present to you my latest build: Revell 1/32 Tornado IDS in Italian AF "25 Years of Tornado" special scheme.

This is a good kit and I really enjoyed building it. Parts breakdown is straight forward with no major problems. As usual, I threw in a bunch of after market goodies (which caused some drama) and here they are:

- Aires resin cockpit (one of their best)

- Aires resin jet exhaust (again, one of their best)

- CAM avionics bays (so-so quality)

- TwoMikes wing glove seal

- SAC metal landing gears

- Hobby Decal metal pitot tube

- Phoenix decals (nicely printed, but carrier film way too thin)

- an extra BOZ pod from another Revell donor kit

- Sidewinder missiles from an Academy Hornet kit

I suspect this jet in this particular scheme only did airshows and thus was never armed. But it feels very lacking to have a Tonka completely unarmed, so I threw in the AIM-9's and the kit's LGB. Probably accurate but they look good on the jet.

Paint was almost all Gunze acrylics. Metallic areas were painted with Alclad. Here are the pics, I hope you like.

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

fin3.jpg

fin4.jpg

fin5.jpg

more to come....

Man, great job on the weathering! Weathering black is always kinda dicey but you pulled it off excellently!

FANTASTIC work Terry!! I'm not a big Tornado fan, but this gem looks really good and your usual top notch modeling skills have really brought out the best of this kit. Really, really nice- I especially like the weathering and pre-shading. Congrat's Man!

If I may offer my $0.02 (I know this isn't Critique Corner, but what the heck), I think a bit of pastel work right now to show the usual stains on the wings, etc. could make it even better.

Edited by chuck540z3

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I had fun building this kit and I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.

FANTASTIC work Terry!! I'm not a big Tornado fan, but this gem looks really good and your usual top notch modeling skills have really brought out the best of this kit. Really, really nice- I especially the weathering and pre-shading. Congrat's Man!

If I may offer my $0.02 (I know this isn't Critique Corner, but what the heck), I think a bit of pastel work right now to show the usual stains on the wings, etc. could make it even better.

Thank you, Chuck. Yes I agree it's time to break out the pastel sticks and grind up some powders. Those pivot points at the wings can really use some dirt now.

Cheers,

Terry

• 7 months later...