A tale of four Flankers...

Ken, may be useful

000c19e60449t.jpg

Thanks Nazar - very useful.

It looks like that Su-33 is landing - but the flap setting appears to be the same as on takeoff.

I haven't mofified the leading edge slats on my model - because most photos I have found of a Su-33 'hot to trot' and held back by the retractable 'fingers' with the jet blast deflector raised seem to have the slats in the up position.

At least that's how I'm doing it...... :thumbsup:

Ken

Intake, wheel well, mainleg downlock fairing and ventral fin - on Su-33.......

Note that the downlock fairing is bigger on the Su-33 to cater for the beefed-up maingear legs

Flankers%20065.JPG

The same area on the Hasegawa Su-27 - with the triangular RWR fairing on the intakes side.

Flankers%20066.JPG

Same area on the Airfix/Heller Su-27.... the fairing is undersize.

Flankers%20067.JPG

Comparison of the intakes on the fin leading edge roots.....

The Hasegawa Su-27 has captured the fact that the port intake (left) is bigger....

Flankers%20068.JPG

The Su-33 intakes are the same size - but they look like that on the drawings and in photos - anyone know for sure??

Flankers%20069.JPG

Neither of the Hasegawa kits have the central divider on the port intake.

The Airfix/Heller intakes are the same size - and solid!!!

Flankers%20070.JPG

I am using the Zvezda Su-35 fin on the Heller Su-27UB - to make a Venezuelan Su-30MK2.

But it isn't tall enough and the rudder shape is wrong - so I have increased the height with plastic card and will re-scribe the rudder hinge line.....

Flankers%20071.JPG

It still needs some more work....the original Su-27UB fin is on the left.

Time for bed......

Ken

Thanks Nazar - very useful.

It looks like that Su-33 is landing - but the flap setting appears to be the same as on takeoff.

I haven't mofified the leading edge slats on my model - because most photos I have found of a Su-33 'hot to trot' and held back by the retractable 'fingers' with the jet blast deflector raised seem to have the slats in the up position.

At least that's how I'm doing it...... :thumbsup:

Ken

Yes, it landing.

But the take-off picture, apparently, mechanization, in the same position

a7d2217c8148t.jpg

I've just seen that Hannants are advertising a couple of resin 'correction sets' for the Hasegawa 1/72 scale Su-33 in their 'New Arrivals' section.....

From Quickboost/Aires .....

A resin radome - - Sukhoi Su-33 Flanker D correct nose (designed to be used with Hasegawa kits)

Plus..... tailplanes - Sukhoi Su-33 Flanker D horizontal stabilizers (designed to be used with Hasegawa kits)

I've already got their jetpipes - which are much better than the kit parts - but why the radome & stabs???

The kit radome and stabs look OK to me - anyone have any issues with them ???

Quickboost/Aires are also releasing a set of 'Control Levers'

Is this just a case of replacement resin for the sake of it??? or does the radome and stabs need replacing ???

Ken (confused).

I've just seen that Hannants are advertising a couple of resin 'correction sets' for the Hasegawa 1/72 scale Su-33 in their 'New Arrivals' section.....

A resin radome - - Sukhoi Su-33 Flanker D correct nose (designed to be used with Hasegawa kits)

Plus..... tailplanes - Sukhoi Su-33 Flanker D horizontal stabilizers (designed to be used with Hasegawa kits)

I've already got their jetpipes - which are much better than the kit parts - but why the radome & stabs???

Is this just a case of replacement resin for the sake of it??? or does the radome and stabs need replacing ???

Ken (confused).

I'm beginning to wonder...actually thought the new tool Su-33D nose was accurate in size/outline from the box; as for the stabs...??? This may indeed be a case of 'because it's there'!

:suspicious:

Ken (confused).

I've got the radome and control levers for my build. The Quickboost radome looks almost identical to the kit radome, except that the Quickboost radome seems a little longer than the kit part. It's not an exact measurement, as I was just eyeballing them. The Quickboost control levers are significantly shorter than the kit part. I'm using the Dream Model PE set with mine, and I don't think I'd be able to use the Quickboost stick as it's so short, it would get in the way of the leg strap thingies on the seat. I can take some comparison pics if you'd like Ken.

Tim

Wow is an understatement, it's great to see a master at his craft, considering all the above post have been spot on, thank you for sharing your skill and passion. Will follow with much respect and interest. B)

Tonal

• 3 weeks later...

Meanwhile........ having been sidetracked making the Anigrand KM, I'm now back doing the Flankers...

The Heller Su-27UB conversion into a Venezuelan Su-30MK2 needs an offset IRST ball - so its mounting platform has to be scratched - using bits of thick plastic card roughly carved to shape.....

Flankers%20072.JPG

.... and filler.....

Flankers%20073.JPG

The horizontal stabs on all the Flanker kits are in the horizontal position - whereas in real life, on a Flanker at rest they are normally seen trailing edge down.

So the Heller Su-27UB stabs are modified with a wedge of plastic card.....

Flankers%20074.JPG

I left the Airfix & Hasegawa Su-27 stabs unmodified.

The Su-33 is opposite - as I wanted to show it 'hot-to-trot' ready for takeoff, the stabs are leading edge down - so a slice has to removed form the kit stabs....

Flankers%20075.JPG

... resulting in this arrangement (yes - I'll fix thos gaps!!).....

Flankers%20076.JPG

Flankers%20077.JPG

It's a pity that none of the kits have a 'hollow' actuator cover and a full sliding part - so that it works like the real thing and the stab can be modelled in any position.......

tailplane_02.jpg

Ken

The Su-30MK2 fins have a few aerials added - and intakes made from hollow tubing squashed into an oval shape....

Flankers%20078.JPG

Only the Hasegawa Su-27 gets these intakes correct - with a larger one on the port fin - but even they miss out the splitter that divides it in half.

All four build are now at the primer stage.....

Su-33....

Flankers%20079.JPG

Airfix Su-27....

Flankers%20082.JPG

Heller Su-30MK2...

Flankers%20085.JPG

Hasegawa Su-27....

Flankers%20088.JPG

This pic shows the butchered Hasegawa Su-27 rear end (right) next to the Hasegawa Su-33....

Flankers%20091.JPG

The DAPO production line......

Flankers%20092.JPG

Flankers%20094.JPG

There are a few more pics here.

Happy Flankering.... :thumbsup:

Ken

PS - I'd better get a move on - before they are all made redundant by the Trumpeter J-11B/Su-27 :woot.gif::pray:

Edited by Flankerman

Always entertaining and fun to follow your builds Ken. :thumbsup: Inspiring as well, might prime Su-33 today as well... Interesting to see you added a strip on the wing root. Personally, i would have added it slightly more outwards to the wingtip, just one mm or so, but no one will probably notice... :whistle:

Interesting to see you added a strip on the wing root. Personally, i would have added it slightly more outwards to the wingtip, just one mm or so, but no one will probably notice... :whistle:

It's a modification that Sukhoi introduced in 1987 to strengthen the wing/fuselage join - at least that's what I'll tell anyone who notices it :rolleyes:

I actually put it on to hide the gap/step where the wing meets the fuselage - and once painted over, I hope no-one will notice it.

And if they ask I'll tell them about the mod.

You are correct though - it would probably be better about .5mm further outboard - butting up against the fuselage step.

But if you don't mention it, then neither will I and no-one will be any the wiser. :whistle:

Ken

It's a modification that Sukhoi introduced in 1987 to strengthen the wing/fuselage join - at least that's what I'll tell anyone who notices it :rolleyes:

I actually put it on to hide the gap/step where the wing meets the fuselage - and once painted over, I hope no-one will notice it.

And if they ask I'll tell them about the mod.

You are correct though - it would probably be better about .5mm further outboard - butting up against the fuselage step.

But if you don't mention it, then neither will I and no-one will be any the wiser. :whistle:

Ken

Actually i have never noticed them before i saw it on your model. I did notice the extra bars on Su-35S, but never on Su-27. Did see them after looking at some pictures. :) Learn something new every day...

Show us some photos...... :thumbsup:

Ken

I started it almost a month a go, and this is how far I got after one day:

DSC01027.jpg

cropped33.jpg

Haven't done much since. Haven't been inspired to build, and don't really have the time lately. I decided to somewhat fix the tail, replace the "beaver tail" with some thinned plastic, as the kit one is way too thick.

DSC01037.jpg

Not too happy about doing it in hindsight, but more on that in the thread i will make later today. :rolleyes:

Edited by Berkut

Great work. Since I joined this site not too long ago, I've seen several of your builds and they're all top notch. The flanker is by far my favorite modern aircraft, and it's great to see some builds from an expert. I just wish a mainstream company would make a 48th scale 33/35/37.... Anyways, keep up the good work!!

Actually i have never noticed them before i saw it on your model. I did notice the extra bars on Su-35S, but never on Su-27. Did see them after looking at some pictures. :) Learn something new every day...

I'm never sure on the Internet about how to interpret what people write - it is much easier face-to-face.

When I wrote about those bars being a Sukhoi mod - I was kidding!!

I'm not sure if your reply is also tongue-in-cheek and you are just going along with the 'joke' - or whether you thought they were real??

Anyway.......

I decided to somewhat fix the tail, replace the "beaver tail" with some thinned plastic, as the kit one is way too thick.

This is what I love about the internet - and this discussion board in particular - the free and selfless exchange of ideas and tips. :worship:

I must admit that I had never picked up on those too-thick side flanges on the 'beaver' tail until Berkut pointed it out - (What?? call yourself Flankerman?? :woot.gif: )

Now I would normally have said - "It's too late to fix it now" - and got on with it.

But you guys (and gals) keep me honest and are a critical bunch (in a good way) - so I am shamed into trying to get things right.........

With a bit of difficulty (because the model is now assembled) I have attempted to thin down the offending flanges....

Flankers%20095.JPG

Flankers%20096.JPG

.... and the result is much better.

Thanks Berkut :thumbsup:

Ken

I'm never sure on the Internet about how to interpret what people write - it is much easier face-to-face.

When I wrote about those bars being a Sukhoi mod - I was kidding!!

I'm not sure if your reply is also tongue-in-cheek and you are just going along with the 'joke' - or whether you thought they were real??

Ken

Well, i missed that you joked. :woot.gif: However, they are visible on the pictures, so they do exist. Seen in for example picture you posted earlier:

tailplane_02.jpg

Flankers%20096.JPG

.... and the result is much better.

Thanks Berkut :thumbsup:

Ken

This looks so much better than mine. :thumbsup: I did it the hard way, cut the tail off and sticked plastic bit. Height difference between the plastic sheet i added and the kit, is very apparent, and hard to sand. More on that in the thread i will make.

So next time i am going to do your way. :cheers: Easier and looks much better.