"Consolidated Mess" B-24 book editing correction availability

This note is to let those of you who have already purchased and received my new book, “Consolidated Mess: The Illustrated Guide to Nose-Turreted B-24 Production Variants in USAAF Combat Serviceâ€Â, that there was an inadvertent error in editing that was missed by ALL of us involved. Specifically, the side profile showing the Ford/Willow Run B-24H-FO camouflage demarcation was accidentally deleted prior to print. All other manufacturer’s camouflage profiles and anti-glare patterns are intact and present. The publisher, MMP, has placed this profile on its website for download at the link below. For those with a question about the book or who just want to talk “B-24â€Â, my email address is in the book and included here, and I am also sending this profile to those who request it – whether you buy the book or not.

For those not familiar with the book or why the reviews have been uniformly excellent (one reviewer calling it “The finest work on the subject yet published...â€Â), there is also a link at the bottom of the MMP page to read reviews. Additional reviews are also posted on Amazon.com at the link also posted below. If you wish to see sample pages of the book, the review on HyperScale by Jim Maas has seven examples (see link below).

http://www.mmpbooks.biz/mmp/books.php?book_id=167

http://www.amazon.com/CONSOLIDATED-MESS-Illustrated-Nose-turreted-Production/product-reviews/8361421165/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/books/mmp9116bookreviewjm_1.htm

For questions about availability in the U.S., I recommend you contact MMP directly. Copies should be in the U.S. now or very shortly and then shipped to retailers handling the book.

Apologies to one and all for this error, but at least the information is available to you through the miracle of the Net!

Looking forward to your questions (and copies of any original pics you have!), I remain…

Alan Griffith

Aviation author/researcher/illustrator

ag122651@hotmail.com

If any of you were downloading from Scott's AAF website in 2004 I attached an illustration of this nature on Aug 12 along with. Tulsa and Dallas wavy underside demarcations for comparision and distinctions. I subsequently had it removed due to abuse so don t go looking unless you already download it. N. Ottoway had his interpretation in the Ducimus Camof & Markings monograph on the B-24...another excellent reference you may already own and want to revisit. A convient 2 page primer on the B-24 also appeared on Hyperscale Feb 16 2008. It too makes a nice little refresher. That includes a preview of the cheek installations the reviews saw are included in The CM. I ve aways found it helpful to have some knowledge of the market when making hobby investments and I know this is why many of use participated in these forums so I hope some small glimpses into the past will be useful in future selections.

Edited by Phil marchese

Phil, I realize that there's probably more going on here than I know (or couldn't care less) about between you and Alan, but I'm curious why you feel it necessary to add your two cents to everything Alan says? Your post has nothing to do with his, over and above the fact that you appear minimally able to speak or write in understandable English.

No sir as I explained I am merely pointing out some previous material covering the Willow Run illustration and other illustrations reviews of the product mention. This forum is a place for product comparision for the benifit of all. I am in no way transfering any matters arising between any parties into this forum. It is not my intent and I ve clearly expressed that I feel it is inappropriate for Alan myself or for that matter yourself to misuse this forum in that fashion. I d think it better if you concentrate on modeling subjects. I hate keyboarding more so on hand held devices so I type with minimum accuracy need to communicate. I do find you behavior toward me from my first hour as very peculiar.

Edited by Phil marchese

No sir as I explained I am merely pointing out some previous material covering the Willow Run illustration and other illustrations reviews of the product mention. This forum is a place for product comparision for the benifit of all. I am in no way transfering any matters arising between any parties into this forum. It is not my intent and I ve clearly expressed that I feel it is inappropriate for Alan myself or for that matter yourself to misuse this forum in that fashion. I d think it better if you concentrate on modeling subjects. I hate keyboarding more so on hand held devices so I type with minimum accuracy need to communicate. I do find you behavior toward me from my first hour as very peculiar.

Really? Huh...

I once read a book about the B-24. It was really good. It had lots of pictures and stuff in it, and I used it when I built a model of a B-24 one time.

I have the book and it is indeed excellent/ I have placed it into the area of easy reach as the information is superb even though it took me a while to get accustomed to the design of the layout. I will be reviewing the book for another site but will post it here unless someone objects.

Regards,

Shark and Mark,

Thank you so much for the kind comments! I'm very glad you like the book, Shark. And Mark, thank you so much for buying it.

Funny you should mention the layout. That layout - mine, modified quite a bit by Stratus but still keeping everything where it should be - was the result of many long conversations with Dana Bell over the table on Floor II at NARA II about five years ago. He was researching for his wonderful series of books as well as digging up some real P-40 treasures for the future while I was going through box after box after box after box (after box) of B-24 information. You will see more wonderful treasures in Volume II, including some really fascinating one-off mods of glass noses. Watch. Now that I've mentioned glassnoses I bet there'll be someone who starts to post all sorts of things about them. LOL Oh well...when a new sheriff comes to town there is always someone who isn't happy about it. May I ask, what was it about the layout that was the most challenging for you? I will be more than happy to explain how things got the way they are and your comments are valuable for future books - and thus far I'm working on about six more, some co-authoring with others.

Please DO post your review here. I'd love to see what you have to say and don't object whatsoever to comments that might make the next book(s) better ones. The only objection you should be even consider would be from those who run this site. I mean REALLY run, not think they run.

One question for you and anyone else who has actually SEEN the book: I made a great effort to show where the actual information came from through photos, portions of original documents, references to specific sources, original and re-draws of blueprints. What do you think of the balance between that and the actual descriptive text? It is always easy to blather on, but I believe it is those original source items that make the point. After all, I can say anything, but proving and showing it are another thing.

For you modelers out there, I'm dying to see someone make the B-24/B-17 blend. The redraw of the blueprints I found plus the wonderful photos of the actual modification taking place (courtesy of Al Blue who gave me complete access to his incredible files at his home) and the others of the finished product should help a lot. And as for anyone crazy enough to undertake what I jokingly called the "B-24Z" twin-fuselage aircraft will forever have my respect and praise. If anyone wishes to do so, I will gladly blow up my drawing to 1/72 or 1/48 scale (as close as I can figure it out as there were no dimensions whatsoever in the patent application) and send it to you. How's THAT for an offer!!

Gentlemen, thank you again for you comments and interest. Don't let any of the background noise get in the way.

Alan Griffith

Aviation Researcher/author/illustrator

By the very history of the airplane no single perspective is adequate to classify the final configurations. In an age of relational media organization into a flat media is problimatic and will take aclamation.

Edited by Phil marchese
<BR>Phil, I realize that there's probably more going on here than I know (or couldn't care less) about between you and Alan, but I'm curious why you feel it necessary to add your two cents to everything Alan says? Your post has nothing to do with his, over and above the fact that you appear minimally able to speak or write in understandable English.<BR>
<BR><BR><BR> I would like to know the same. One doesn't have to be on internet discussion groups for very long to learn it's not the place for airing dirty laundry. This behavior already had a thread locked here. And the technobabble is reminiscent of Kurt Plummer.<BR><BR> Ken

Phil, I realize that there's probably more going on here than I know (or couldn't care less) about between you and Alan, but I'm curious why you feel it necessary to add your two cents to everything Alan says? Your post has nothing to do with his, over and above the fact that you appear minimally able to speak or write in understandable English.

You know Jennings, If you could actually build models as well as you make sarcastic, demeaning and generally unhelpful comments, i'd be impressed.

david

For you modelers out there, I'm dying to see someone make the B-24/B-17 blend. The redraw of the blueprints I found plus the wonderful photos of the actual modification taking place (courtesy of Al Blue who gave me complete access to his incredible files at his home) and the others of the finished product should help a lot. And as for anyone crazy enough to undertake what I jokingly called the "B-24Z" twin-fuselage aircraft will forever have my respect and praise. If anyone wishes to do so, I will gladly blow up my drawing to 1/72 or 1/48 scale (as close as I can figure it out as there were no dimensions whatsoever in the patent application) and send it to you. How's THAT for an offer!!

Alan Griffith

Aviation Researcher/author/illustrator

Oh man, like I need more ideas?

Oh hey, how's this for an idea? Stick to the concept, and keep the personal sniping out. Adults shouldn't need reminding of this.

Al P.

ARC Moderation Team Backup Singer and Roadie

To Alan, Thanks for the information on the omission from you book, as well as the correction so generously provided to one and all.

While I am currently not envisioning a B-24 build in near future, I do applaud you for the dedication and perseverance to create the work in the first place.

I will look forward to using your book as a part of my future research, when I decide to do a B-24.0098_6DLU1L.gif

:monkeydance:always interesting how some posts generate "side shoots" and how much they can deviate from the initial posts offerings.getsmileyCAMPQHPO.gif

Interestingly enough the Ford profile is fictious. It approaches J-1/5-FO but for the wasit hatch. The Scheme was factory applied to the E and H series. But the J series shown is no factory alternative. Alternately the profile can be considered correct thru the H-15 but has the wrong lower nose and upper turret for the period and misses the essential H series hallmark. The H-20 would differ in the waist. The correct 14 peak sine curve has been correctly reproduced in previous references published. This 15 apex version conpresses the bombay cycles incorrectly. See Blue The B-24 Liberator page 147 lower for the typical crest peaks. Fore , mid and aft the bombbay sections.

Edited by Phil marchese

Thanks for posting this B24RESEARCHER. It looks like a very interesting book that I may have to pick up soon. I don't pay much attention to people flaming good books. Phil it seems like you have something against this book. The more you spout off the more you just seem like you don't like the author or the book in general. It really isn't helping you out in any way.

I am merely stating facts about the drawing. Keeping to the facts about the drawing d the proper first step would be to verify my observations about the drawing. Like any comparison, this is what the forum is about. Good information. Be glad to address the comparisions anyone finds between the drawing and the intended variation. Ok?

Edited by Phil marchese