2013 - the year of the Viper

So here's the plan, to build a range of Vipers from the early F-16As right up to the F-16F Block 60, from original Light Weight Fighter right up to Bloated Whale. I don't intend to do every variant, just a range showing the progression of the type. If I can get 6 done in a year I'll be well happy (if anyone is interested, I'll post the proposed list)

First up is the Block 15 OCU F-16As used by the USN for adversary work

F-16A.jpg

I'll be using the Kinetic 1/48 F-16 AM Block 15 MLU kit, plus the recently released Fightertown Adversary Ghosts decal sheet

Starter.jpg

I've finished the cockpit, which was spruced up with an old Verlinden ACES II ejection seat I had lying around, and a few dials which were cut from a spare instrument panel decal, I believe from a Tamiya Mosquito...

cockpit110.jpg

cockpit27.jpg

I know there are quite a lot of Viper experten on here, so all advice and constructive comments are welcomed, especially with the minefield of tiny little changes between different F-16s. I'm not the kind of guy who's going to go to the nth degree getting every tiny little detail right, but it's always nice to be able to make an informed decision as to whether something is worth the effort and/or money to get exactly right :)/>/>

Edited by Nev

Hi Nev,

Happy New Year neighbour.

This looks like a neat project. I like the idea of following an aircraft through it's development and look forward to seeing each of these builds come together.

You're off to a fine start.

I can't wait to see them all lined up together later in the year. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Cool build man! Good luck. I started 2 different f-16s last year and both have ended up in the A.D.D. pile. My goal is to build three. I'll be starting my Tamiya block 50 very soon. Then hopefully back to the other two. Hopefully your thread will keep me motivated!

Hi Nev,

Looking forward to your projects, always like seeing your works.

Gary

Thanks Gary, I've only finished 4 models in the last 2 years, and I stopped building altogether for nearly a year, but now I'm finally getting my modelling appettite back.

I have been told that the Kinetic 1/48 F-16 AM Block 15 MLU kit has some shape issue, will you use any after-market product to correct the NOSE?

I remember when it came out, all the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over it in the Jets sub-forum, but I just don't have the "eye" for shape issues, they all looked the same to me! So no, I won't be correcting the nose. When I've finished I hope to have a line-up including Kinetic, Tamiya, Hasegawa and maybe even the old Revell A/B, so it will be interesting to see if I can spot the difference in nose shape then!

• 2 weeks later...

Progressing slowly but surely every night.

Ever get the impression a kit doesn't want to stay stuck together?

F16Ablk15OCU_IP1.jpg

Corrections required (thanks to macbain for his WIP thread)

F16Ablk15OCU_IP2.jpg

Et voila!

F16Ablk15OCU_IP3.jpg

Underneath. Taking a fair bit of PSR this kit....

F16Ablk15OCU_IP4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Time to share some progress!

A second round of PSR, and the addition of the wing strengthening plates from the Tamiya detailing set

F16Ablk15OCU_IP5.jpg

Following a 2nd coat of primer, I pre-shaded the model, then added the first layer of camo, in this case FS36375 (White Ensign paint)

F16Ablk15OCU_IP6.jpg

My airbrush skills aren't good enough to spray freehand, so I prefer to use blu-tac masks - in the process of applying them here.

F16Ablk15OCU_IP7.jpg

Last night was a layer of FS36231 (Humbrol)

F16Ablk15OCU_IP8.jpg

Later today I will be applying the FS36081. I'm not too bothered if I don't get a perfect paint job, these birds are quite tatty and weathered, with lots of touch ups.

Meanwhile, 2 more Vipers arrived via a trade on another forum :)/>/>

Viper_additions.jpg

Edited by Nev
  • 1 month later...

The NSAWC Viper has had its camo completed, however rather stupidly I decided to spray the dark grey freehand and did a terrible job. So now I'm going to have to re-mask it and re-spray the medium grey to correct all my overspray and too-soft edges :crying2:

first_camo_round.jpg

Viper #2 will be an early F-16A using the Hasegawa kit.

boxtopdamaged.jpg

This is what I'm planning on doing, an early A model from the 388th TFW at Hill AFB, the first USAF unit with the F-16. The picture is from the old Salamander Aviation Fact File from the 1980s, for those who remember them! The sidewinders and Mk.84s will come from the Hasegawa Weapons set

planned_subject.jpg

Superscale decals

superscale_decals1.jpg

Hasegawa was state of the art in the 1980s, so the cockpit isn't bad, even by 21st century standards.

cockpit112.jpg

cockpit210.jpg

Main construction complete, all ready to spray with grey primer

before_priming.jpg

After grey primer - unfortunately I didn't have quite enough left in the can for a really complete coat, I'll see how it looks after a rubdown

after_priming.jpg

Edited by Nev

Hey man! Slow down! Your making me look bad! Ha - j/k - Seriously though both builds are looking really good. What did you think of the Hase Viper? Mine hit the shelf of doom. And just might get replaced by the other Tamiya I now have in my stash, but we'll see.

Nice project!! Meanwhile I like the Viper too!! Therefore 2 - 3 are on the workbench now.

If you are interested, I sell a Hasegawa F-16D with wolfpack Block 52+ conversion set. So you get the spine and brakechute housing, to build a polish, greek or chilenean Viper!! At the moment you can get the decals for at twobobs for reduced price.

Hey man! Slow down! Your making me look bad! Ha - j/k - Seriously though both builds are looking really good. What did you think of the Hase Viper? Mine hit the shelf of doom. And just might get replaced by the other Tamiya I now have in my stash, but we'll see.

I think the Hasegawa kit is OK, especially for its age - it's what, 25 years old? Its not going to match the Tamiya kit for detail and fit, but its a helluva lot better than most kits of its era. The things that seem to bug people the most, don't really bother me. Lack of wheel well detail - yeah, but other than the 1 pic I show on the net, when are the wheel wells ever going to be seen again? Lack of full intake trunking - who shines a torch down the intake? No-one will ever know ;)

If you are interested, I sell a Hasegawa F-16D with wolfpack Block 52+ conversion set

Sorry Tobik, don't have the £££ right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So back to the NSAWC Viper which is progressing towards a finish. I've touched up the dark grey overspray, gloss coated, added the decals, and now started the wash. I don't normally go for heavy washes on aircraft , but pictures show these Navy aggressors to be really tatty (must be being sat in the desert sun all summer, and the snow all winter up on the Sierra Nevada).

washed_side.jpg

And the unwashed side

unwashed_side.jpg

And via trades and Hannants special offers I've added more to the Viper stash - Currently 2 completed, 1 in-progress, 9 in stash. Just need to get a YF-16, a B a D and an F and I've got all 16! :)/>/>

more_viper_additions.jpg

The top, unboxed one is the Italeri F-16C which was thrown in for free!

Edited by Nev

USN Aggressor is finished, pics here

Here's the line-up so far

3_of_16.jpg

And here is what I guess everyone means by the Kinetic nose droop? (Hasegawa on left)

kinetic_nose_droop.jpg

And here's what's up next - a rather rare bird. The only F-16s to ever be based in the UK, and they only lasted a year :(/>

f16_11.jpg

boxdecals.jpg

Edited by Nev

USN Aggressor is finished, pics here

Here's the line-up so far

3_of_16.jpg

And here is what I guess everyone means by the Kinetic nose droop? (Hasegawa on left)

kinetic_nose_droop.jpg

And here's what's up next - a rather rare bird. The only F-16s to ever be based in the UK, and they only lasted a year :(/>/>/>

f16_11.jpg

boxdecals.jpg

Yessir, I'm sure that I am "preaching to the choir" here. You have the right kit. Just make sure to use the NSI "small-mouth" intake(and the parts to go with it) and the GE exhaust (and parts to go with it). The small mouth intake and related "stuff" is on sprue R and the big mouth exhaust and related "stuff" is on sprue H. Again, I hope that I'm not offending you by telling you this, but it can get a little confusing. This particular jet was right during the time when they started using the GE engine on the F-16. It was apparent that the engine needed more air to work up to it's potential. That's why the USAF came up with the MCID "big-mouth" intake. There is one more item that would help you tremendously on your project. If you haven't already got one, get Jake Melampy's book on the F-16. Jake has everything you ever wanted to know about the F-16, but were afraid to ask.(and then some) And, shame on me, because I don't have one myself. The F-16 is, by far, my favorite jet. I plan on taking care of that oversight very soon.

Edited by balls47

No offense taken! Yes I am aware that it is a small mouth GE, which to me just adds to its uniqueness. The really great tragedy is they were never around long enough to get a proper aggressor colour scheme.

As for Jake's book, if I ever see one over here for a reasonable price, I'll get one. Over £700 on Amazon.co.uk lol. I'm going to check all the booksellers stalls at the Waddington airshow in July.

Edited by Nev