1/48 Eduard FW-190A-9 Review/Preview

Jester, I'm finding many agree with me about how difficult the Eduard kits are, as least as far as the Long nosed 190s are concerned. Hal Sr

That may be so, but that doesn't mean I don't like them. 70.gif

Aaron

Edited by jester292

You're free to like or dislike them as you choose. For myself, I wouldn't purchase another one. If some gives me one, I'll send it to you for cost of postage. Hal Sr

Deal! w00t.gif

The Tamiya kits are a dream though I must say.

Thanks for the review Ranger_Chris.

Aaron

Their Focke Wulf series do feature a great many "make work" assemblies, that could just as well have been either cast as one piece, The little cradles inside the gear well, into which the gear leg nestles when closed, are prime examples. Carpet monster loved them! Lots of nit picky things like that. Hal Sr

And a windshield/canopy that's 1/38th scale in width... (That's actual: 6.2 mm vs 5.1 mm)

Little things like that...

The Eduard FW-190D is a much better buy than the A series, as it is, canopy excepted, the most accurate of its kind made, which is a long, long way from what the Eduard A/Fs are: The A/Fs are actually dead last accuracy-wise: Hasegawa-Dragon- long gap-Tamiya-Long gap-Eduard...

Robertson

Send some to me too :whistle:/> :whistle:/>

Sold my pair as soon as I looked at them, in the Spring of 2008... For a fairly high price too...

But then I bought another one, much later, for the all-red captured decal option included. Did not use these great decals, but I did end up using one part of the kit: The Eduard kit has the best cooling fan of all: That part can be adapted to the (near flawless) Hasegawa kit by moving the Hasegawa engine backward...

That is the ONE Eduard kit part used... The rest of the kit has long since been binned, except for the decals.

For those who still think this is a worthwhile kit, just remember that the FW-190A never had a cylindrical cowling (I think not even Aurora in the 1950s made that mistake).... The Eduard cowling is cylindrical likely because the FW-190A-8Ns newly-built "kits" have a cylindrical cowl, maybe because of the Russian engine...

So the Eduard cowls are indeed useful if you build a replica of the new-built 190ANs, but that would still be the only parts of the kit useable (with the engine fan).

Another option is to do them all opened-up, without any engine cowl covers present, as they are designed for that.

Robertson

Just round filed my Eduard Dora 9. In addition to all the problems the kit presents under the best of circumstances, this turned out to be the original "Bad Luck Kit", meaning even things that should have gone right, and didn't, super glue spills, broken parts, etc, etc, etc. Finally grew way too weary spending 2 or 3 hours on what should have been 5 minute jobs. Saved several key parts to go into a Tamiya, that I'm trying to "accurize". (Engine back, modified bulkheads, prop and spinner.I'll also use the wheels. Lessee what happens now. Hope the parts didn't carry the kit's jinx with them. If so, I am indeed accursed. Hal Sr

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr

:rofl:/>/>

If you think there is a lot wrong about the 1/48th Hasegawa FW-190A-5 and above, I suspect you probably don't know much about 190s...

There is some problems with these kits: Let's hear you itemize them, since you claim to know something about them...

Robertson

...I suspect you probably don't know much about 190s...

:rofl:/>/>

I know a surprising amount about the 190. I just refuse to become a self appointed expert. There's enough of them on the internet. And I don't spend my time nitpicking models Marty. I build them. And if you really think the Hasegawa kit is "near flawless", you don't finish a lot of models.

Ken (building nine of them right now)

Feel free to send your Eduard 190As and 190Fs to my address.

Aaron

I agree 100%. I have about six or eight FW's in my stash from Tamigawa, and probably will never open the boxes again after getting my first Eduard kit. But I'm kinda wanting to see Zvezda attempt the 190's in 1/48th

gary

Are there significantly different build issues between the Eduard D and A kits? FWIW, I found the A-5 kit buildable, if not particularly user friendly.

Cheers,

Pip

Buildable - yes, sure. But Eduard 190s are in my experience unforgiving, esp. when built with all panels closed.

Buildable - yes, sure. But Eduard 190s are in my experience unforgiving, esp. when built with all panels closed.

Well, the A-5 I built had everything closed. It was somewhat of a PITA, but I'm quite pleased with the result. Actually, as I recall, the most aggravating section of the build was the engine mounts. I struggled with them unsuccessfully for some time before I realized that they were basically unnecessary since the the engine was such a tight fit in the cowling.

I've built one of these before and don't recall it being as hard to build as people say they are. The only major issue I recall was the fit/closing the gun bay doors. I just pulled the A-8 and F-8 from my stash and started working on them.