Well here we go. I have the Revell 1/32 X-1 Rocket Plane along with the Cutting Edge Conversion to turn it into the X-1E and the corresponding X-1E decals. In addition to this I also have Airscales 1/32 instrument decals.

DSCN1610_zpsdd79a324.jpg

I will need to completely fabricate an interior as the CE conversion only covers the airframe. I found a number of reference photos on the net of the cockpit and bang seat that should be helpful.

If anyone knows of a really good X-1E reference I would be more than appreciative because I have not found a lot.

Zach

Other than Jay Miller's X-1 Datagraph an his X-Planes books, there aren't many good references available for the X-1E. I have an extensive collection of photos on it, just let me know what you're looking for and I'll help where I can. The 'E' went through some minor mods during its career, you'll need to pick a timeframe you want to do and go from there. The early airplane is pretty straightforward but after a while, vents & fins were added and markings were changed. At the end of the program even the nose gear door had been changed from a single piece to dual doors.

Tony

Thanks I may pic that issue up. I found a few pics of the interior on the net. It is not a lot to go on though. What I would really like to find is some pics of the canopy hatch. I have no pics of those details. I would also love to find some detail shots of open panels and see if there are any neat details I can add behind some panels. I know the original X-1 carried a lot of its instrumentation in a compartment of the port wing but I am not sure if this tracks for the X-1E

Nice build by the way. Those are the markings I intend to do.

As to the interior color; was that part of your SWAG (scientific wild a** guess) or do we know it was green? I was going back and forth between green and dark gull grey or some similar interior grey color that was being used in jets in the late 50's.

Zach

Honestly Zach, I was getting so bogged down on research that I wasn't building anything. The editor had a deadline and I needed to get moving so I did what I thought was reasonable and plausible to the cockpit to move on. I found an Aerofax X-1 book on Ebay for over 70 bucks. More than the price of the kit and conversion and decided not to pay that price. I did something shocking, I started building. I know a lot of people will find that a terrible thought. And some will applaud for getting something done. I think it looks nice in the display cabinet. It made a nice article and there was only one person that was worried about the 2 mm short fuselage and didn't mention the cockpit at all. So have fun with yours. The conversion wasn't bad. When you do your research you will notice the pictures where the paint on the canopy was coming off. It was painted different than the rest of the plane so it was gloss white and chipping off due to stress and heat. That was duplicated on my kit and intentional. The white was worn good after a few flights. One thing I didn't replicate was the dints in the lower faring right in front of the nose wheel well.

I had a blast with the project. I wish you luck and the same enjoyment of a very unique and cool plane.

Kel

Honestly Zach, I was getting so bogged down on research that I wasn't building anything. The editor had a deadline and I needed to get moving so I did what I thought was reasonable and plausible to the cockpit to move on. I found an Aerofax X-1 book on Ebay for over 70 bucks. More than the price of the kit and conversion and decided not to pay that price. I did something shocking, I started building. I know a lot of people will find that a terrible thought. And some will applaud for getting something done. I think it looks nice in the display cabinet. It made a nice article and there was only one person that was worried about the 2 mm short fuselage and didn't mention the cockpit at all. So have fun with yours. The conversion wasn't bad. When you do your research you will notice the pictures where the paint on the canopy was coming off. It was painted different than the rest of the plane so it was gloss white and chipping off due to stress and heat. That was duplicated on my kit and intentional. The white was worn good after a few flights. One thing I didn't replicate was the dints in the lower faring right in front of the nose wheel well.

I had a blast with the project. I wish you luck and the same enjoyment of a very unique and cool plane.

Kel

Kel, like I said the build looks great. I was curious about the cockpit as I had not found anything on it. Looks good to me and really green is plenty plausible so it seems cool to me. :)

I had noticed the chipped paint in the pictures. I am anxious to dig into this one. I hear what you are saying about research. I have managed o research myself out of builds in the past and that is just no fun.

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I will pick up that copy of Aerospace modeler and check out your build little more.

Zach

Zach,

Here's a random selection of late X-1E photos from my files. The cockpit was actually more of a military green rather than Zinc Chromate, except for the inside of the canopy which was a strange light blue-gray color. There was no canopy lifting system, it was done by had and a special fitting was placed inside to hold it open until the canopy bars could be installed. Hope this helps to get you going in the right direction.

Tony

x1e-proof-1.jpg

x1e-proof-2.jpg

Wow Tony those are really great pics!!

Thanks so much. Those should be great help tot he cause.

In the meantime I started making some basic cuts to the fuselage for the conversion.

DSCN1614_zps6162fcf2.jpg

DSCN1613_zps271acb4b.jpg

DSCN1612_zpsc900f8bc.jpg

I made the cuts for the canopy section and for the flush wing root peices. I also cleaned up most of the major resin pieces.

Zach

Tony! Where were you when I was writing my article and building my X-1E?!!! Ha! I know, I know. All I had to do was ask. Great pictures. You always surprise me with your vast knowledge of X plane subjects. Take care and I sure enjoyed seeing those pics you posted.

Kel Jamison

I started roughing out the new interior. It is just general shapes right now but I wanted to get this all set and make sure everything fit before adding the details. I used the Revell interior as a former for this assembly because it offered some structural elements and it aids in locating things around the nose gear well properly. Bulkhead and floor are made out of 2 thou plastic sheet and the sidewalls are made from 1 thou.

It all fits in there very nicely. Now I just have to decide how I am going to go about adding the interior bits and details. The biggest challenge here will be the bang seat and the IP but I suspect some work on these will resolve any fears.

DSCN1618_zps5ae37aeb.jpg

DSCN1615_zpsf8a98fea.jpg

DSCN1620_zps334691b0.jpg

DSCN1621_zpsce867e31.jpg

Zach

Other than Jay Miller's X-1 Datagraph an his X-Planes books, there aren't many good references available for the X-1E.

While Jay's Datagraph #3 is an excellent X-1 resource, it has only a couple of small b&w images of the E cockpit, most of those involving the ejection seat. If you can find one for a decent price I recommend it, but specifically for the E cockpit I'm afraid you'd be disappointed.

It's been a productive weekend on this end.

Got some sidewall detail done and some more work on the cockpit floor and instrument panel. I used the center section of the kit IP as it was pretty good and just jazzed it up some. I am headed too the LHS today to grab some more styrene bits. I admit up front that not all of this detail is 100% accurate. I am just shooting for a good representation and feel for the cockpit. I think this should look pretty good once it is all painted and installed. I still need to add the side panels to the IP and the other side wall details and my big hurtle is the bang seat right now.

DSCN1623_zps15480441.jpg

DSCN1624_zps392db1d1.jpg

DSCN1622_zps011e8ed1.jpg

DSCN1625_zps6425e450.jpg

Zach

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tony, I have made a little more progress.

I will post pics shortly. I have also been working on finishing up the Zoukei Mura A-1H Skyraider which had taken a short sojurn to the Shelf of Doom so I have not had so much work on this lately.

To date I have built the Bang Seat and added the rails for it, added details to the main cockpit assembly and started playing with the IP assembly some more. I need to do the other side wall and detail the inside of the canopy. I also scratched some belts from lead foil and spare PE buckles (not super great but once installed they ought to look the part).

I will post some pics soon.

Zach

• 1 year later...

Hi all - I am back after a long hiatus from this project.

I picked this project back up for the NASA group but it fizzled when my wife and I devoted most of our spring and summer to buying, moving into and then getting settled into our first home. Thus my progress was disrupted but I am glad to be back at it now.

here are a couple of pics showing where I am at with the interior now. I need to add some belts to the bang seat but otherwise I feel this is in good shape.

DSCN1948_zpsa28d43ea.jpg

DSCN1946_zpsb87de038.jpg

I have never completely scratched/scrounged an interior together before. I have added details and embelished on many a project but this is my first full scratch effort. It got a big helping hand from spares box elements and it is not 100% faithful to the 1:1 scale X-1E but I think once installed it should more than look the part to all but us experty types. :)/>

I am now movving on to add details to the canopy. Pics to follow soon on that front.

Zach

Nice to see ya here again!

Your scratchbuilding looks just fine. When I do something from scratch, I just try to give the impression of the shape. I let the viewer use his imagination a bit, rather than show every detail, I'll glue in a lump of styrene and they'll say, wow you even got the 'Remustran and the Kadiddle!'

With a little paint, it'll look outstanding! And nobody will be the wiser!

Pete

Thanks for all the compliments guys! Very encouraging; especially coming from such a talented group such as yourselves!

Well thought I throw together a little update tonight. Fairly productive week at the bench despite the holidays.

I did some work on scribing the fusalage panel lines using photos and the CE decal profiles as a rough guide.

DSCN1957_zpsa5650d7c.jpg

DSCN1958_zps4c44b89e.jpg

Been playing with my new rivet wheel too. So far I like the effect provided I don't go overboard with it.

DSCN1959_zps02187c9c.jpg

DSCN1960_zps2795e57f.jpg

I also go the interior painted and got the PE belts on the bang seat....

I really like the way the bang seat turned out. built entirely from plastic card, strip and wire with a seat pad made from epoxy putty and left over PE belts from the spares bin. The red headrest is artistic license but i thought it would add some color to the interior and to me an ejection seat just looks right with a red headrest. Call me crazy.... :)/>

DSCN1962_zps0e9b5bc3.jpg

Here is the IP. I used the Revell kit panel and embelished the details with scrap photo etch and wire and also cut the sides away and repsotioned them to fit the X-1E cockpit layout. The instruments are all airscale decals I love this product and use it all the time in my cocpits. It really makes the panel pop when you use them.

DSCN1982_zps05159956.jpg

And here are some pics of the mostly painted and assembled interior. I am really very happy with the results. My constant dry fitting as I built out the interior really paid off too because it fit like a glove. I assembled the fusalage haves moments after snapping these shots....

DSCN1984_zpsa099c198.jpg

DSCN1992_zpsdd70acf7.jpg

DSCN1991_zps2cf48cf9.jpg

And to quote Porky Pig "Th...th...th...thaaats all folks! (er...for now anyway)

Zach

Edited by SpitfireGuy