I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the cockpit yet. It's more of an F-5A cockpit. It has the older Northrop seat and no avionics behind the seat. I may turn them into desktop models and paint the inside of the canopy glass silver.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great so far!! Take care of yourself eh!

As to the Kits How are they compared to the Italeri Offerings fit wise? I know these have engraved panel lines.

Are you doing them wheels up?

Cheers

Emil

Quick update. Got some paint down. This is the second time painting this one. I'm trying some new acrylics, still getting used to them. Tore a bit of paint off while removing the masking tape. I felt hard lines would go well on this scale, I'll leave the softer, more natural sprayed on look to the bigger models.

IMAG1967.jpg

And half of the decals....

IMAG1968.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I cot a hold of the paint guy at VMFT-401 and got the FS #s from him. What I came up with is: tan = life color desert tan, brown= life color US brown, and green = model air field green. I lost the sheet with all the FS #s after I ordered everything :crying2:

Hopefully I'll get this one finished tomorrow then I can move on to another one. I was going to build them side by side but I decided against it. My only problem is I have one set of decals for 4 jets. I think I'll do #s 10, 01, 00, and 11. Only bad thing is that 00 has been a F model since 1989 when 401got f-5s. Hmmmmmmm

I'm going to call this one done. It's not on a stand because I haven't quite decided if I'm going to do 4 different bases or one base with a 4 ship formation. I did something I've never done on this model. Instead of using a light color inside the canopy glass I used MM Gunmetal Metalizer. It looked a little off. At first but it is growing on me. I think the lighter color airframes will look good and all 4 together will look great.

IMAG1969.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tooling around with another F-5 project and needed a bit of a break. So what did I do? Started the rest of my F-5s for this GB. I'm going to build the rest of these side by side. Kits are coming along nicely, fuselages together, lots of sanding, filling and scribing. This is what I have so far.

IMAG1989.jpg

More to come.

Ok so I got the majority of the construction done. I need to add the nav lights to 2 of the kits, the tails to all 3, and the canopies to all 3.

IMAG1990.jpg

On to the base coat and pre-shading. I'm not a big fan of pre-shading because I think it's largely overdone. However in an effort to become a better modeler I decided to try it more in hopes of mastering the technique and finding a nice balance for each model.

IMAG1991.jpg

On the down side as soon as I finished cleaning my air brush I felt 2 pops in my wrist and now my thumb is a bit numb. I hope this passes.

So I've been on the road for 2 weeks now for work. I've done as much as I can with this kit in my hotel room. As for the other 2 jets I didn't bring the paints for my blue scheme and I only have the base color for the gray scheme. So in the box they go.

IMAG2012.jpg

Here's the little guy with big brother. Note the 1/48 jet is not for this group build, it's for a pilot but I'm sure you will show me some love with this one.

IMAG2013.jpg

I'm going old school with the F-5Es, as for the 1/48 kit, it's the F-5N. VMFT-401 normally has ghosted markings but the last 3 jets received from rework have had the black markings. Normally the black markings are sanded down and replaced with the ghosted markings.

IMAG2014.jpg

Keep calm and model on!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back in the man cave :banana:/>

Laid down some paint. Blue camo on, gray camo on. Launcher rails painted, radomes painted. Next: exhaust and canopy/windscreen frames get paint.

IMAG2083.jpg

I hope to be done in the next week or so.

Hi Chris,

I like your progress with those F-5s!!!

By the way, which brand's colors did you use for the top F-5?

SERNAK I used MM Medium Gray FS35237, MM Intermediate blue FS35164 and Model Color (Vallejo) Pastel Blue FS35190

Neo it was all masked. I don't think my hand is steady enough for those results especially since it is 1/72.

Thanks for the compliments.

I used tamiya tape for the mask. The colors on the brown jet are: Model Color Iraqi Sand FS30475 (tan), Lifecolor Desert Sand 49 FS30279 (light brown), and Lifecolor US Brown FS30?40(dark brown). Not sure what the middle number is, the label is smudged.

HTH