Space Shuttle Columbia STS-1

The External Tank is really taking off now (no pun intended).:woot.gif:/>/>

I shaved off the molded feed lines on both sides of the tank and applied brackets for the new styrene rods that I'll use in place of the molded lines.

ColumbiaSTS-1148768x1024_zpsf8ed527b.jpg

The picture below shows the rods I'll use on the smaller diameter lines. Next to the single rod outside of the package is a piece of styrene that was used to make the base to the brackets on the feed lines. I then used the kits elbow piece to complete the line that will hook into the orbiter.

ColumbiaSTS-11491024x7682_zpsb243f5c1.jpg

The tank is starting to really take shape. The other side will be done in the same manner.

ColumbiaSTS-1150768x1024_zpse704550f.jpg

:rolleyes:/>/>

Hey guys.

I am just thrilled at how this tank has come together. But there are some imperfections that are minor and that I can turn a blind eye too.:o/>/>/>

I layed all of the bases to the brackets for the feed lines.

ColumbiaSTS-1151768x1024_zpsa95f4505.jpg

Then I glue in the styrene rods and the strut attachments.

ColumbiaSTS-1152768x1024_zps857e73ac.jpg

Afterwards I went back and completed the line brackets by placing the tops of the brackets on top of the lines...

ColumbiaSTS-1153768x1024_zpsc7d11288.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1154768x1024_zps11f3fc99.jpg

One thing that I noticed was the feed lines on the right side of the tank were based on the second and third generation external tanks. The first few flights had the left hand line that was moved to the other side later. Well,:o/>/>/> I didn't realize what I had done until I was done with it. The trio of lines are grouped tightly together on the first flight, and I spaced them to which they are on the last flight....Oh well.

On the back of the tank, I place thin styrene on some of the areas to give detail. I left the area were the umbilical vent lines attach to the external tank open to give depth in the detailing.

ColumbiaSTS-1155768x1024_zpsf663539f.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1156768x1024_zps80868346.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-11571024x768_zps0cde485e.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-11581024x768_zpscb02e967.jpg

I think that is as good as it's going to get. And here's were we leave off again. The tank got it's first shot of base white primer. There are a couple of different flavors of white that I'll use for the final touch. Then I'll do some brush painting for the small details.

:salute:/>/>/> Til next time.

Great job on the tank! All the little details are really going to pay off. And I wouldn't sweat the minor error with the press lines. Not very many people would even know the exact configuration of all the different tanks designs. I can't wait to see more!

Bill

Hello Mike,

your effort for detailing of the ET by scratch-building the feed lines with all the brackets is amazing, but your ambition and patience will pay off. The tank comes along fantastically and I like it very much, great compliment, Mr. STS-1. :thumbsup:

My curiosity on your Launch tower is getting bigger, can't wait to see your start, I stay tuned. :coolio:

:wave:

I scanned the photo at 600 dpi and, while you still can't read the text, the logo is clearly Rockwell International (not Rocketdyne). If I squint I can imagine the first/top line says Rockwell International but I can't make out the second/bottom line - possibly Rocketdyne?

Rockwell_International_fa727_450x450.png

Hello there,

There is already some time back, but I now have accidentally found this great shot that answers the question of the text on the second line,

it is clearly Rocketdyne Division written in smaller lettering. cool.gif

90-548-15.jpg

Source: NASA

hallo.gif

Edited by spaceman

Way ahead of ya! I found a similar photo back when we were first discussing it, and I have already created the artwork for the decals and placed them onto the layout for your sheets. Now if I could just finish up the few remaining decals...

Hello all...

Continuing on with the backbone of the stack, the Solid Rocket Boosters are coming along nicely. I finished placing styrene around the frustum for detail. After the glue dried, I then sanded them down a bit so they are not so define. The styrene I used was the thinest that I could find but still too thick for the detail. So a little elbow grease needed to be added.

ColumbiaSTS-1159768x1024_zps05046367.jpg

Turned out good, I think.:hmmm:/>/>

I then applied the seperation motors and the ET-SRB interface brackets to the rockets.

ColumbiaSTS-1160768x1024_zps8741ea71.jpg

And here's were I leave off...The left SRB has been completed. All of the systems tunnel brackets have been glued in place and is now ready for it's first coat of white primer. The right booster still needs the brackets. :closedeyes:/>/>

ColumbiaSTS-1161768x1024_zps20a0339d.jpg

It's coming together. Slowly but surely.

ColumbiaSTS-1162768x1024_zpse9b69bb8.jpg

I should have it all primered white by the end of the week. Until next time :wave:/>/>

Looking good so far! Especially that ET!

A few questions:

Will you be addressing the location of this pod on the SRB Frustums? It is incorrect on the kit.

10ih2ir.jpg

And are you OK with those attachment pins going into the midsection of the ET and not at the upper attachment points?

Mike,

Your stack is looking great! :thumbsup: You really have been putting in a lot of effort with all the details and it shows.

Hotdog is right about those pods on the SRB Frustums, they should be in the lower position. I don't know why there are mounted high on all the old kits. It's not a big deal but still something to consider.

Your build is bringing back some memories of my Revell build. I still remember gluing on all those tiny brackets on the systems tunnels. It's tedious work but well worth it. It really adds to the look of the build.

Keep up the great work.

Mike.

OH.:o/> Ya. You guys are right. I didn't even catch that.:doh:/> I will file those off then place new ones on the correct spot.

Hotdog. Looking at the picture of the SRB Frustums, I may also add some additional detailing to area under the cone. Thanks for the picture.

As for the attachment pins. The plan is to remove them and fill the remaining holes on the ET. I will then drill two more holes, one on each side of the tank and two more at the attachment points on the SRB's. I will then use a piece of styrene rod and slide it through the tank and hook them through the holes on the Boosters.

Thanks for the heads up!

Mike :salute:/>

Looking good so far! Especially that ET!

A few questions:

Will you be addressing the location of this pod on the SRB Frustums? It is incorrect on the kit.

10ih2ir.jpg

And are you OK with those attachment pins going into the midsection of the ET and not at the upper attachment points?

What do you guys think about this?

ColumbiaSTS-11631024x768_zpsb8d4778f.jpg

After Hotdog brought up a few points, I decided to remove the attachment pins in the middle of the boosters and the pods on the frustums. I then started the detail work that will eventually be sanded lightly and the pod relocated.

So...I think what I'm going to do is start a new set of SRB's. For two reasons. 1. I want to see how the styrene details come out on the first pair. 2. On the second set, I want to use Hotdog's decals on the boosters and compare how both of them turn out.

ColumbiaSTS-1164600x800_zps14791a62.jpg

I just happened to have another Airfix kit in my stash. It is an older one, but the only difference is the color of the molded product. I plan on one day building a version of Columbia (1977) when engineers at Rockwell were having problems finding an adhesive to keep the tiles on.

Alrighty...I have completed the final touches on the left SRB. All of the brackets have been placed and the detail on the frustums have been sanded down to a thinner size. It also got it's first few coats of primer white.^_^/>/>

ColumbiaSTS-1165600x800_zps6383c806.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1166600x800_zps39526562.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1167600x800_zps821e4da8.jpg

I just realized....I forgot to put the pods back on and in there correct place.:doh:/>/>

I just can't believe all the details you guys are putting in on this little 144 ... way to go! :thumbsup:

And for thin details, if you can't get .005" Evergreen styrene, you can use household aluminum foil. Nice and thin and easy to install. You will need some Metal Foil Adhesive though, but the effect is lovely!

Keep up the terrific work on this!

Pete

First of all, I want to thank you guys for all of the great ideas you have given me. I think I may used the foil idea for the Flexible Reusable Insulation Blankets, but on another orbiter.

Meanwhile...As I wait for the right side SRB to completely dry, I have gone back to work on the Space Shuttle Main Engines. A little while ago I had an idea of depicting Columbia as a vehicle that was just finishing the assembly and in the "roll out" phase. Which gave me the idea of placing covers on the engines and putting plugs in the Reaction Control Systems.

The OMS engines were the easy ones. I decided to use the parts provided in the Airfix kit for I thought they looked more authentic than the Real Space Models (which I really like). All I did was cap the engines and painted them red.

ColumbiaSTS-11681024x673_zps2c6897cb.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1171486x480_zps710f3549.jpg

Now, I realize that this picture is of Discovery, but I ran across this picture while I was surfing the net and it shows the idea of where I am trying to go with this.

And here are the SSME's. I think they turned out well. I had to mix some black with steel color to darken the paint a little. I then used the regular color of steel for the feed lines surrounding the engines. I also glue styrene to the bottom of the engines and painted them red along with the ends of the bell housings.

ColumbiaSTS-11691024x768_zps0dfcb31a.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-11701024x768_zpsb6958c1a.jpg

When the paint is done setting, I'll place them in there spots.

Tomorrow, I'll do some more work on the boosters.

:salute:/>/>

Outstanding job on the SSME's and the OMS engines! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: The SSME's color(s) are spot on to the real thing.

I agree, the Airfix OMS engines look more authentic then the ones from Real Space Models. On my Revell Discovery I used the Real Space Models OMS engines, but I re-shaped where they attach to the OMS pods. They need to come to more of a point. If I ever get back to my Airfix shuttle stack I'll definitely be using the OMS engines that come with the kit. Although I'll be using a set of Cutting Edge SSME's.

Mike.