Monogram F-100D Super Sabre 1/48 Scale

Don,

I've copied Enry67's tutorial, and have done a little practicing. I'm amazed that it actually worked for me. I'm about the worst re-scriber on ARC, as I usually just accept the loss of panel line detail, and move on. Will see how this works for me in build.

Joel

Aw man that is AWESOME work there :thumbsup:/> ! Seriously, I love the new panel lines. They will most definitely POP under a coat of paint. Top shelf work there. You are tempting me to reach for one of my Monogram Huns and have a go at it myself. Curse you...! LOL... :lol:/> !

Cheers!

Don.

:evil-laughter: ! Thanks for your kind comments, Don -too right; give that Hun some Sun! (Uuurh! Sorry!)

Don,

I've copied Enry67's tutorial, and have done a little practicing. I'm amazed that it actually worked for me. I'm about the worst re-scriber on ARC, as I usually just accept the loss of panel line detail, and move on. Will see how this works for me in build.

Joel

...just remember, Enrywar67 clearly has a much better camera than me....!

Found another '979 pic for ya Chippy.One of our pilots in his squadron hero shots.I find it interesting he has a Arkansas helmet though,I knew he flew our Huns for a few years before 1979,he even punched out of one of our Huns in 1978 due to engine problems.

dunham_zpsfzznutjz.jpg

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

Been looking at Hun pics most the morning and found myself pulling out my F-100 kits,looks like I may bite the bullet and start fixing my Trumpeter kit.I have Harolds resin for it and other needed items,just need to close my eyes and start hacking it up!I think I am getting my modeling mojo back after a long absence,hopefully I can actually get something done after all these years.

I salute you on rescribing and dealing with the gaps in the gun and ammo panels,I did all that on two kits and said no more!Love the Monogram kit but they always tested my patience.

Edited by ThePhantomTwo

Found another '979 pic for ya Chippy.One of our pilots in his squadron hero shots.I find it interesting he has a Arkansas helmet though,I knew he flew our Huns for a few years before 1979,he even punched out of one of our Huns in 1978 due to engine problems.

That's what happens when you hand the keys to these Razorbacks!!! I hope he had insurance...?

Been looking at Hun pics most the morning and found myself pulling out my F-100 kits,looks like I may bite the bullet and start fixing my Trumpeter kit.I have Harolds resin for it and other needed items,just need to close my eyes and start hacking it up!I think I am getting my modeling mojo back after a long absence,hopefully I can actually get something done after all these years.

I salute you on rescribing and dealing with the gaps in the gun and ammo panels,I did all that on two kits and said no more!Love the Monogram kit but they always tested my patience.

I accept no responsibility for this whatsoever!

The 'preparatory' work on these things is a 'slogging' job -it takes a lot of time, there are no shortcuts and it is monotonous. But...I do feel the other aspects of the kit make it worth doing; all the ingredients are there for an excellent (and accurate) outcome. Whether my skills are up to it, we'll see.

Back to the chamber of horrors after doing other stuff over Easter. The ammo bay cover seems like a good fit, as does the speedbrake (half my photos show this lowered, but all the Indiana ones have it closed -good enough for me!). The gun bay door has its own agenda! It sits flush now, but the plastic shims I used to fill the gaps around it are too soft, and have not survived scribing very well. I'm going to try filling with something else.

Meantime, I have taken a break from the outside and had a look at the seat. The kit one is actually very good, but the Legend seat is a good bit shorter in the back than the Monogram version, so I'm doing a little upgrade on the former to see if I can make it look decent...

Thanks for the tireless support! :salute:/>/>

EDIT: The kit seat is a no-go: there's no way I can fix the moulded-in ejection rails, which are too far apart for my liking. The Quickboost seat looks better in terms of height and has the correct-looking runners for the rails, but...no rails! No rails? No problem -just break out the Evergreen U-section channel.

The Legend seat back is ridiculously low, so I've ordered the QB seat to see how it shapes up.

Edited by ChippyWho
I accept no responsibility for this whatsoever!

Just admit it and take the blame,I never gave the Hun kits a second glance over the last two years until I seen your threads. :cheers:

IIRC,our guys pushed the speed brakes up during their inspections,one less thing to bite them while working under the plane,we did that with our F-4's as well but still you ended up with "Phantom bites" regardless(the worst were the jets that didn't have the engine sabre drains cut flush,lost many a t-shirt,shirt, and blood on the ones that weren't crew chief friendly).

(...lost many a t-shirt,shirt, and blood on the ones that weren't crew chief friendly).

I can imagine. But I might be the only twit who can get to the same place building a kit of the thing.

No matter; having spent best part of the weekend attempting to separate the three sections of a Verlinden scribing template (must have been a mystery to my parents how it ALL went so wrong), I have scribed my last scribble -for this kit, anyway. Hallelujah! (Count fingers again...)

The Quickboost seat arrived. This is by far the best looking seat I've found, but not much different from the Legend one in height. The really cool thing is that the runners on the back fit the rails in the Legend cockpit perfectly, so I'll put up with it. At present, I'm engaged trying to make the interior look more like this beautiful MMS 1/32 item. I know most aftermarket products go with the 'chute-stays-with-the-pilot school of thought, but I admit I love a really 'busy' office!

Close to having the installation method sorted for the exhaust. I just need to extend the plastic burner with a short rolled-card tube so it sits at the right depth.

Having fun? Oh yeah. Honestly!

Sorry, forgot the photos:

P4170021.jpg

Resin seat comparison -Legend on left, Quickboost on right (casting block removed). It is a bit taller.

P4270027.jpg

Quickboost seat looks the part!

Thanks for looking.

Edited by ChippyWho

Ahem. No.

No, no, no. It won't do, I tell you...

Obviously I was asleep at the wheel when I unpacked the Legend resin for this one. I had 'read and understood' all the online comments about the seat, but had not really inspected the rest of the parts. I can't even recall where I bought it now, ages ago, but it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Well, the actual tub looks like a good fit but to be honest, although the side console detailing is fine for depth it is not very close to reality. Indeed, some of it looks like a random assortment of switches, knobs, etc. The throttle quadrant is best described as a mere gesture. Even after two or three JBs ("Enjoy alcohol responsibly" -what's the bleedin' point then?!), I can't get it to look like my reference photos. Also, the rear bulkhead (and thus the seat rails over which I obsess) is warped slightly concave on the inside face. Hot water, just shy of being a plasma, makes it flexible enough to straighten up, but next day...you guessed!

Long story short (er...too late there?), it really isn't good enough -certainly not for my 'dedication' build, so an Aires one has been ordered, on the strength of photos. This is labelled for the Trumpeter kit; I'm relying on Lady Luck and native cunning to get it to fit. Comparisons between the Monogram and Trumpy plastic so far make this look vaguely promising...

"But there is hardly anything that a motivated modeller cannot fit with files and putty. The McGiver (sic) school" (Diego Quijano)

Sorry; weren't in a hurry for this one were you? :rolleyes:

Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by ChippyWho

I just test fitted the Aires set the cockpit tub for the Trumpeter kit into the Monogram kit and it fit surprisingly decent.I have the Aires,AMS and Eduard sets and am going to use a mixture of all three to pimp my Trumpeter cockpit up.The Aires seat has no hoses or belts molded in,AMS does and Harolds seat has a lot more detail than the Aires seat in my eye.I think you can make it work Chippy.I would have fitted more but I am on my way to the hospital to see a grandchild being born....

ThePhantomTwo, my sincere congratulations!!! :yahoo:/> Is this your first? Well, in view of your tireless work here, I'm sure we can spare you for an hour! :unsure:/>

Many thanks for the recommendations and parallel testing, guys -I saw the AMS bits (also 'designed for' the Trumpeter kit) and I do like their stuff. Unfortunately, I don't know of a retailer other than Sprue Bros, who are out of the 'pit for now. The seat does look the business, but I hope to be pimping mine to within an inch of its life, and would rather have a strapless one for that purpose (Divine Wife suggests something Vera Wang...?). O2, g-suit and comms connections will be furnished by me bare hands -scratching all this detail is my favourite part of a project!

Back soon.

Seat2.jpg

HAF 'Advanced Typhoon' seat (Revell 1/48) with a few home-made enhancements.

Edited by ChippyWho

ThePhantomTwo, my sincere congratulations!!! :yahoo:/>/> Is this your first? Well, in view of your tireless work here, I'm sure we can spare you for an hour! :unsure:/>/>

Many thanks for the recommendations and parallel testing, guys -I saw the AMS bits (also 'designed for' the Trumpeter kit) and I do like their stuff. Unfortunately, I don't know of a retailer other than Sprue Bros, who are out of the 'pit for now. The seat does look the business, but I hope to be pimping mine to within an inch of its life, and would rather have a strapless one for that purpose (Divine Wife suggests something Vera Wang...?). O2, g-suit and comms connections will be furnished by me bare hands -scratching all this detail is my favourite part of a project!

Back soon.

Seat2.jpg

HAF 'Advanced Typhoon' seat (Revell 1/48) with a few home-made enhancements.

No, believe it or not, this is grandchild number ten,and number eleven is due in December, between my kids and the wife's kids it seems we have been getting two grandchildren a year for the last 3-4 years. Never would have thought I would have so many by the age of 50!Cambree was born at 12:23pm today.

You will like the Aires pit, it should add some bling to your build!

No, believe it or not, this is grandchild number ten,and number eleven is due in December, between my kids and the wife's kids it seems we have been getting two grandchildren a year for the last 3-4 years. Never would have thought I would have so many by the age of 50!Cambree was born at 12:23pm today.

You will like the Aires pit, it should add some bling to your build!

Eleven grandkids, eh? So you're OK for a football team should you need... Congratulations again, Sir -it's a grand life!

Just found out the eBay guy I get the 'pit from is away until 6th May, so on to other bizarre delights: every time I pick up the fuselage parts I find a really obvious bit of over-scribing I failed to notice before. The thin superglue, water and sandpaper ritual again... :bandhead2:

Beautiful work on that seat :thumbsup:/> ! She looks great.

Cheers!

Thanks Don, the Revell seat just needed the side-tubes (which end in the middle of nowhere) replacing full-length, plus a few augmentations to the Eduard etched stuff, which is a bit weak for this kit IMO. This is part of a too-much detail What-If project that I'm still twiddling with; there is a blog about it here, but I have not been too dilligent updating it -must get around to that.

The Hun seat should end up looking more like the 1/32 MMS one, which I really like. I have fabricated the 'chute pack with card, milliput and Tamiya tape for the cover, which has some 0.2mm lead detailing wire stuck to the edges (that was fun!) to represent the 'piping'. This is imitation as flattery, so I hope the MMS guys wont' sue!

More soon. :blink:

It's true: if you keep picking at it, it won't get better!

P5030029.jpg

Another quick tape-together of the fuselage halves to check alignment of the scribed lines. Surprisingly, they all still come together at the join.

The current job is whittling out any vents 'n' scoops around the airframe to give them a little depth, and there are a couple of etched vents to fit under the fuselage.

If indeed the art of modelling is never being completely happy with what you've done, I have got there!

Edited by ChippyWho

Just found this thread.

Awesome start for an awesome a/c 70.gif !

My biggest memories of the F-100 was that most of the reference pics I had/have as a kid growing up in the late '60's and '70's were of F-100's carrying empty MERs/TERs and rolling out for a strafing run or their initial bomb/rocket attack run. Barely any combat formation-flying pics.

628x471.jpg

F-100D_firing_rockets_Vietnam_1967.JPEG

2013%5C06%5C130605-F-DW547-011.jpg

Thanks folks! I'm much obliged for the photos from Check Six; great in-action shots there.

Now in the throes of flushing the new panel lines with Extra Thin Cement (apparently MEK works better, but I don't have any). This certainly makes them look a lot neater.

The Aires interior has arrived; very swift, especially as the vendor was away until today! It is massively better than the Legend item and looks like it will fit nicely without too much grief. The detail (like most products from this manufacturer) is refined and very crisp, with plenty of depth.

Taking a trip to my home town tomorrow :yahoo: , so not much work will happen for a couple of days...

Happy modelling!