afv club af c32004 - what are these? Replacement canopies?

Just seen this in the Lucky Model website, which maybe is a corrected canopy for the Trumpeter 1/32 A-10, but a search on Google doesn't turn anything up. The description in the Lucky Model site is pretty vague stating "have glass II anti-reflection coating for canopy" yet if it was a coating it wouldn't be model specific.

Has anyone come across these, maybe shed some light on it?

They are treated canopies,not corrected nor a film.

I just hope they removed the seam before treating, or they are garbage.

Curt

$_12.JPG

Edited by Netz

They are kit canopies that were sourced by AFV from the manufacturers covered (Hobbyboss, Trumpeter, Academy). The coating has been applied to the inside of the canopy, allowing the seam to be removed without damaging it.

I wish someone would do a good review on these, as many modelers are just guessing at what exactly they are, I could not clearly read the directions on the box in the picture, but I see they mentioned cleaning up the seam, just don't be ham fist'ed and break one of these....

Curt

I have the one for f-16 at 32nd scale. it is the same canopy as the kit one. there is a kind of transparent yellowish hologram type paint airbrushed inside of it and you have to remove that famous seam yourself. it looks like UV coating at modern car headlights but with yellow tinting, not a have glass or indium tin oxide coating o F-16 canopy. but it looks exciting with all that red-blue-green-purple hologram effect at direct sunlight.

Gives you that have glass II tinted canopy look.

Roger..... That's what I was thinking, but its hard to tell the color of the canopy in the pic provided. That's a great idea on AFV's part, and like others have said, if you botched the canopy on your kit, now its not so hard to get a replacement. Fred K.

• 2 weeks later...
They are treated canopies,not corrected nor a film. I just hope they removed the seam before treating, or they are garbage.

Well Curt, they are garbage to you then. However, I am not sure if they are appropriate for the types provided other than the Falcon.

AC3201AC3203AC3204.JPG

For one, I thought the canopy treatment was "Have Glass" while the RAM paint was "Have Glass II." Also, I am not sure if the Thunderbolt II received such a coating on the canopy.

The instructions state to use 1000 & 2000 abrasive paper and polishing compound to remove the "sprue line" outside. As written, they are sourced canopies treated with a coating on the inside which made them iridescent like a soap bubble. I'm not sure how I like them other than a source for Trumpeter/Hobby Boss replacement canopies since it is fairly hard to deal with these companies.

Regards,

Edited by sharkmouth
For one, I thought the canopy treatment was "Have Glass" while the RAM paint was "Have Glass II."

There was more to both programs than just canopy treatments and/or paint but, from a modeling perspective, the others don't matter.

The seam does not make them garbage, either. Just because you don't wish to deal with the issue, or don't have the skills or tools to do so doesn't make them worthless.

Well Curt, they are garbage to you then. However, I am not sure if they are appropriate for the types provided other than the Falcon.

The seam does not make them garbage, either. Just because you don't wish to deal with the issue, or don't have the skills or tools to do so doesn't make them worthless.

I made that comment due to the lack of any clear reviews or product info, If they were coated on the "Outside" then they would be garbage, as removing the seam would naturally destroy the finish, but it seems that they have coated the inside, which for some of you heavy handed modelers who seem to destroy their canopy trying remove this seam will post a problem,or a solution for a replacement, but for me, I have no issue with removing a seam.

Curt