Hi Folks. I don't post often, but from my Moniker, you may gather I'm from the UK.

I'm drumming up support for the former RAF/USAF Bentwaters, which was demobbed in 1993.

Since then it has been kept in good order, but is not being used for commercial flying. Some light industry and aviation connected business.

Two of the former Alert hangers, hold and airworthy Spitfire http://www.ml407.co.uk/ together with a Seafire and Hawker Tempest V restoration, Yak 3 two Piper cubs and others. There is also the base museum http://www.bcwm.org.uk/

with significant airframes.

The owners of the base, together with Carolyn Grace, who owns the Spitfire, are under pressure, as they need planning permission from the local Authorities to continue their flying. A local pressure group are trying to prevent this happening.

Would you all please take a moment to add your weight to our fight, by signing the petition document found on THIS LINK

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/d-c-admin-suffolkcoastal-gov-uk-ref-c10-3239-keep-bentwaters-flying?recruiter=35344374&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

and help keep and restore more historic aircraft for the future generations.

Many thanks

Frank

on behalf of ML407 and BCWM

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

Just wondering here, but just how much influence on this would signatures from another country, an ocean or more away, have regarding this? Not saying it's not a worthy cause, but it does seem to be a local matter and if it were happening in my town, I wouldn't expect opinions from the other side of this country, let alone from across an ocean, to be seriously considered.

Quite simple really. Bentwaters was a USAF base, and as such it's fate would be of interest to ex service personnel who served there. The local council here would not know either way if you were a previous 'local' with an interest.

Exposure to overseas interest serves to concentrate the financial mind, as the possibility exists that you would return as a 'tourist' and contribute to the local economy.

You don't have to be a local voter to have an opinion or exert influence. This is why I have posted this request here.

If your local airport was under threat, would you not enlist help from wherever you could find it?

Several of our airfields are under threat in the UK, and we tend to give mutual assistance where we can, even if we have never been there.

Councillors who make decisions everywhere are conscious of public opinion. They court it. Perceived as being on the 'wrong side of the fence' can be political suicide. The greater the weight of public opinion, the more likely they will be swayed in the 'right' direction.

Numbers count........please sign up, it costs you nothing. :salute:/>

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

Hi,

Already signed and I wish the counter campaign well. I notice in the local press there seems to be a change in attitudes and the anti-NIMBY's seem to be winning public opinion.

Gary

Noise Thommo, though a Merlin engined spitfire is heaven not noise to my ears.

Though how much noise a handful of aircraft throughout the year make is very questionable.

As a local its great to see ML407 in the skies here, and quite often practicing along our beach front, I would hate to see it have to move somewhere else.

Luckily there seems to be a growing awareness of the anti campaign and lots of locals signing up to it.

Julien

:D, Also signed the petition. In 1980 I was a restricted private pilot member of the Royal Newcastle Aero Club but was also doing some flying at AeroPelican near Belmont on Lake Macquarie. A local woman started an anti airport campaign to get the flying school closed down and eventually the airline also, although that took many more years. Some of the tactics employed by this group were incredible. Like getting a visiting American professor from the University of Newcastle to come to a public meeting she arranged and showing by a long and convoluted formula written on a blackboard (and taking up most of it) that over a 17 year period how aircraft noise had shifted the boating channel from next to Pulbar Island to right across the Lake end of the 3,000ft runway.

After he had finished "showing without a doubt" that this was what had happened a man at the back of the hall, who had no connection with the airport but was just there to see what kind of tactics this group would employ, stood up and said "You're not from these parts are you Professor?" "No" was the Professor's reply, "I'm from the USA, why do you ask?" The man then said "I thought as much. You weren't here 17 years ago when the Maritime Services Board got too many complaints from the boaties about the distance the had to travel to get from Swansea Channel to Belmont and filled in the old channel and dredged the new one where it is today." The Professor picked up the blackboard duster and started to rub out his all enlightening formula. The man then asked this woman what her husband did for a living. She replied "He drives a coal truck." "And what time does he start work?" "At about 6.30am." "And what time does he leave for work?" "At about 5.30am." "So why does he park his truck in front of my house and not your own?" "Because he doesn't want to wake our kids while he warms the truck up and has his breakfast." "And no one else in the street has young kids? Does he really have to start that thing at 5.00am and leave it idling for half an hour?" "Well it doesn't make much noise when it's idling." "Yes and light aircraft flying at 1,000ft make even less noise than a coal truck idling out the front of my house at 5.00am. The flying school doesn't start operations until 8.00am."

I apologise for the rather long story (and yes I was present at the meeting so I know all this is true) but it was the only way I could demonstrate the absolute hypocrisy of these NIMBY groups.

To a much happier note now. The old AeroPelican site is to once more become an operational airfield. A syndicate which includes Matt Hall has bought the airfield (which has lain idle for well over a decade now) and will be operating several types of aviation activities from there including an airline service too and from Sydney as it did in the "good old days". I hope that women (who would be in her sixties now) still lives there. She'll know what aircraft noise is all about when Matt cranks up his Extras and practises his aeros over the Lake.

:cheers:,

Ross.

• 4 months later...