I'd give away a kidney to be able to step into a modern military jet and fang it. Unfortunately that probably won't happen this lifetime, so I was wondering if any of the pilots out there could describe to me what happens and what do you feel/hear/sense, when you go supersonic in an aircraft. Can you hear the sonic boom? Do you get pressed back in your seat? Do you smile and think "f&@k yeah!"? Man I envy you guys!

Certainly no "thrown back in the seat" sensation. You can see shock waves under certain conditions, and you can see an "indicated" jump in airspeed as the pitot statics are affected by the changes in pressure. Pulling g's though is much different and you definitely feel that, especially at 9 g's!

On the Concorde (Mach 2.2) they installed a Mach meter in the cabin because there was no other way for passengers to know when they were passing through Mach 1. Pretty much the same in any supersonic aircraft. On early supersonic a/c there were often major trim changes required, but more sophisticated design and computers have pretty much eliminated that in modern aircraft.

By all accounts it's pretty much a non-event for the pilot.

It is pretty uneventful as you push thru the Mach. On incentive flights before the sequestration days, I used to get guys hyped up approaching Mach 1 with a "get ready!" and then, passing the Mach, I would get the reaction of "that was it? Nothing happened" Yep, pretty much. As B2 Rick mentioned, sometimes you get an awesome shock cloud at supersonic speeds, which is always cool to look in the mirrors and see.

What really surprises people is the deceleration you can get when you go idle/speed brake from supersonic air speeds. In the Strike Eagle (she's pretty draggy!), the deceleration will throw you forward like hitting the brakes in your car.

Steve

sometimes you get an awesome shock cloud at supersonic speeds, which is always cool to look in the mirrors and see.

Steve

Example of a recent "awesome cloud" I was able to capture a couple of weeks ago.

(It was aboard a "Family & Friends" cruise on the USS Harry S. Truman)

Truman-3211lr.jpg

Truman-3217lr.jpg

Truman-3218lr.jpg

Video link to the above event.

It may be uneventful on the inside but witnessing it from the outside is something I'll never forget!!

Steve

Nice pics, Steve!

When you go supersonic, you don't feel a thing. Its not the Chuck Yeager story anymore. Planes that are designed to go supersonic go right through "the number" without a blink. The airplane is as comfortable to fly at landing speeds as it is supersonic. Things just happen faster.

An F-14 pilot

The Cutting Edge

-Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

Well...ya see, in the ol' P-3 Orion...

Tell me about it - I live under a flight path, one passes over every morning so high up it is just a bit more than a spec, but the sonic boom makes you raise your voice if you are trying to talk to someone outside as it passes. ;-)