Colorful F-4C of the 58th TFTW

Hi guys,

I was checking out some Vietnam-era F-4Cs and F-4Ds and came across this airframe:

3_21_b1.jpg

Since my original goal was to identify also available 1/72nd scale decals for whatever interesting subject I might have encountered [and since, besides the Print Scale sheet and the decals available in the Hasegawa F-4C/D Phantom II "Vietnam" boxing (00918) I found none], can you perhaps please tell me if the markings and colors are somewhat :) accurate and if decals for it are anywhere available?

Many thanks!

Niki

I don't know about 72nd, but Monogram has these very markings in their 1/48th Phantom II kit, with the Invasion type stripes in red/white/ black/white only angled on the fuselage and straight on the Wings.

This maybe a stretch, but try wolfpack decals, they're IIRC exclusively 72nd and would probably be a good place to start...Good luck

HTH

584 happens to be the first F-4 I flew in (in April 1975). There was a problem at that time with the tan paint being used--as soon as it was exposed to the sun (in plentiful supply at Luke!) the red pigment bleached out leaving a pea green color. This sent the modeling/spotting communities into a tizzy trying to determine the new FSN--all of naught. Anyway, when I flew it, this is what it looked like:

750400-F4C63-7584-LA-c_zps5526cd15.jpeg

By July 1975 the new paint had arrived and was quickly applied to the Wing King's jet first, just in time for a visit by Gov. Raul Castro, for which the AZ state flag was added. The two MiG kills belonged the Wing Commander, BGen Fred Haeffner (one confirmed, one probable). BTW, the Governor's, not the Wg Cmdr's name was painted on the canopy sill during this visit.

750700-F4C63-7584-LA_zpsece5810d.jpeg

By February 1976, invasion stripes had been added and 584 became known as "The Adidas", after the footwear:

760200-F4C63-7584-LA-c_zps3aafea41.jpeg

Microscale sheet 72-224 included Adidas markings, if you can find one.

Edited by mrvark
... try wolfpack decals, they're IIRC exclusively 72nd and would probably be a good place to start.

Did you mean "Wolfpak"? If so, Mark does more than 1/72. He's always looking for interesting subject matter!

Gene K

584 happens to be the first F-4 I flew in (in April 1975). There was a problem at that time with the tan paint being used--as soon as it was exposed to the sun (in plentiful supply at Luke!) the red pigment bleached out leaving a pea green color. This sent the modeling/spotting communities into a tizzy trying to determine the new FSN--all of naught. Anyway, when I flew it, this is what it looked like:

750400-F4C63-7584-LA-c_zps5526cd15.jpeg

By July 1975 the new paint had arrived and was quickly applied to the Wing King's jet first, just in time for a visit by Gov. Raul Castro, for which the AZ state flag was added. The two MiG kills belonged the Wing Commander, BGen Fred Haeffner (one confirmed, one probable). BTW, the Governor's, not the Wg Cmdr's name was painted on the canopy sill during this visit.

750700-F4C63-7584-LA_zpsece5810d.jpeg

By February 1976, invasion stripes had been added and 584 became known as "The Adidas", after the footwear:

760200-F4C63-7584-LA-c_zps3aafea41.jpeg

Microscale sheet 72-224 included Adidas markings, if you can find one.

I know it's not polite to quote a post with lots of Photos... but i would like to take the opportunity to thanks Mr. Jim Rotramel for all the great photos he tooks of those Luke AFB, especially the "candy cane airforce"...i've build 5 of the Luke AFB F-4C, and most, if not all the Photos i've found around the web (and also a book, that gives him credits) about those F-4 where from him. so, without you i just wouldn't have been able to build these!377.gif377.gif377.gif (here's my 584, 816, 550, 426 , 1976?...i'll surely do more of the Luke AFB Phantoms in the future! (and redo some))

Thanks for the info, interesting. The Luke jet was not the only one running around with that paint scheme, I have a shot of a 388th TFW F-4D having it as well as a 33rd TFW F-4E also sported it too.

Duane

i would love to see those Photos! could you be nice enough to post them here? pleasepray.gif

I know it's not polite to quote a post with lots of Photos... but i would like to take the opportunity to thanks Mr. Jim Rotramel for all the great photos he tooks of those Luke AFB, especially the "candy cane airforce"...i've build 5 of the Luke AFB F-4C, and most, if not all the Photos i've found around the web (and also a book, that gives him credits) about those F-4 where from him. so, without you i just wouldn't have been able to build these...i'll surely do more of the Luke AFB Phantoms in the future! (and redo some))

Glad you've found them useful! (BTW, the link to 550 leads to a Blue Angel F-4J.) It was kind of a lemonade from lemons situation as I became medically grounded from retained kidney stones shortly after starting F-4 RTU and had a lot of time on my hands. For an aviation photographer, Luke in the mid-1970s was a pretty good place to be stuck with a camera and time--F-4s, F-104s, F-5s, the first operational F-15s and lots of sunny days! A lot of good photos resulted--not nearly as rewarding as flying, but not a complete bust either.

Glad you've found them useful! (BTW, the link to 550 leads to a Blue Angel F-4J.) It was kind of a lemonade from lemons situation as I became medically grounded from retained kidney stones shortly after starting F-4 RTU and had a lot of time on my hands. For an aviation photographer, Luke in the mid-1970s was a pretty good place to be stuck with a camera and time--F-4s, F-104s, F-5s, the first operational F-15s and lots of sunny days! A lot of good photos resulted--not nearly as rewarding as flying, but not a complete bust either.

kind of weird as i've just try all my provide links and they all work fine...

anyway, i was just wishing to thank you for those Photo you took while you where there, at Luke AFB. BTW was there any more F-4C with color stripes (appart from B/W(stripes) 693 and B/W 0665)?

Also, if the OP (is serious and) really wish to build that very airframe, i could gladly send him the unused part of my TwoBobs IPMS 2010 sheet, with the 1/72 subjects. there is even an Arizona state flag provided for anothe subject... that surely could do the job with minimal trimming!

:D

Well, for what it's worth, the OP is in so far serious as to have immediately ordered one example of the sheet, thanks to Pete's guidance.

Then again, I am not here to prove my seriousness but, like most of you, to have fun ;) :)

Thanks for the well meant offer, migwin! I hope Rare-Plane and the various postal services standing on both sides of the Atlantic will be able to deliver. We shall know in a couple of weeks...

kind of weird as i've just try all my provide links and they all work fine...

anyway, i was just wishing to thank you for those Photo you took while you where there, at Luke AFB. BTW was there any more F-4C with color stripes (appart from B/W(stripes) 693 and B/W 0665)?

No, I think you've done them all (save the F-5s and F-15s). The excuse was to help identify jets while doing air combat training (ACT), but the real reaon (I think) was that it looked cool--and every squadron commander could have one. As a side note, I think all (or nearly all) of the F-5s got the saber bands--I think one had invasion stripes. The 550 link when I tried it this time--nice job on all of them!

biggrin.gif

Well, for what it's worth, the OP is in so far serious as to have immediately ordered one example of the sheet, thanks to Pete's guidance.

Then again, I am not here to prove my seriousness but, like most of you, to have fun wink.gifsmile.gif

Thanks for the well meant offer, migwin! I hope Rare-Plane and the various postal services standing on both sides of the Atlantic will be able to deliver. We shall know in a couple of weeks...

it was not meant for you to prove your seriousnes,but rather to make sure i wasn't about to send you decals for free... if you wheren't to build that aircraft! (there's(been) many thread asking for info on a specific airframe, where the OP was just asking information for the purpose to satisfy its curiosity...)

glad you'd been able to source those decals... if it happens that you're finally didn't get them, me Free offer shall still be valid...

Edited by mingwin