OH-58D Kiowa Warrior 1/35 Scale

Great reply

I never done a jet . My hobby shop has some nice looking jets..

Me only Helicopters and tamyia jeeps . Working on side model Humvee .Tamyia makes some very nice armour models ..

Rick

They make everything very nice. I am use to Tamiya kits, that is why I was so confused when I started the DAP. Some parts didn't go together as well.

But that what makes modelling so much fun.....lol

Richard

Today I tried Archer rivets for the first time.

I also have the set that Micro-Mark sells. You get two full sheets when you order the Micro-Mark rivets so I am using the Micro-Mark set when I do my

MH-60s build. I have always wanted to try them but I didn't have the gumption to do so.

So I cut the film very close to the rivets like I heard a lot of people that have used this product say that I should do.

20150604_164815_zpslcnymno6.jpg

Then I dipped them in water (and from what I can see, they don't have to be submerged in water for a long time).

And then I applied them to the glare shield where I filed away the rivets putting in my air bags.

20150604_165805_zps0oxus3nj.jpg

Now don't laugh because I tried to put them in a row but it didn't come acroos that way.....lol

When the rivets dry I will fix the problem with the 3 rivets on the right side because that will bother me thru my build.

Richard

Tonight I was working on the middle console wall section.

The first thing that you will notice is that I added some extra card to the wall section.

The reason why is because I wanted my wires to go up to the extra wall section that I put in.

I'll explain that later....lol

20150605_020820_zpsxprep7v0.jpg

The second thing, which is a first for me, I painted the wall before I glued it to the cockpit.

If I glued it to the cockpit and then painted the side walls, it would be nearly impossible to attach the wires to the main IP, as far as I am concerned.....lol

Second thing is, I am using EZ line and that is already painted white.

So I completed the side walls and then put some small styrene boxes to the walls and painted them flat black to break up the Nato Black that I painted the wall with.

Then I put attachments on them using small hex rod card and painted them clear red and clear blue.

And then I attached placards on the small boxes.

20150605_020454_zpsizdtng1w.jpg

Tomorrow comes the wiring, and after the wiring then I will add some weathering.

The next thing that I did was I looked at a ref picture and I decided that I would model the Kiowa without doors.

A question that I do have. On a lot of modern Kiowas that I have seen, when they have the doors removed, they have armor plates (or shields) in their place.

I see them on a lot of models that I have seen on the Kiowas, and they are not in the kit.

I take it that we have to scratch build the armor plates to protect the pilots?

A little more work on the cockpit area. Being that I want to model the Kiowa without doors, everyone can see inside.

So when looking at a picture, I noticed that part B8 and B9 have raised rivets on them and they are out in the open for everyone to see.

First thing that I did with those parts, after gluing them to the model, they left large gaps.

20150605_000659_zpsnz8c9ff4.jpg

FIxed them:

20150605_001902_zpsvcmayv1e.jpg

So I broke out the rivets and started riveting on those parts and I think they look good. Now I could not match the rivets in the picture that you are about to see but I don't think I did too bad.

Ref. Picture

rivets_zpsdgrrpckt.jpg

Model:

20150605_000550_zpsrwzhrqlq.jpg

20150605_000627_zpsqbzu2nyp.jpg

More tomorrow:

Richard

Not sure I am happy with the seats:

20150605_032144_zpsx6tudllf.jpg

But looking at a modern Kiowas seats, I don't know if I have the skills to reproduce this:

DSC_0281_zpszikp5m32.jpg

Maybe I will try to mess with milliput and try to recreate the seats but I have never done so before.

But you will never know unless you try right?

Richard

I agree, the seat don't look good .. I'm surprise the add on fits did not have upgrade seats ..

I bet you can fix that easy with milliput or something else ..

Rick

Edited by infofrog
On a lot of modern Kiowas that I have seen, when they have the doors removed, they have armor plates (or shields) in their place.

I see them on a lot of models that I have seen on the Kiowas, and they are not in the kit.

The Werner's Wings set also includes the seat side armot plates. They are in the middle of the below pic.

35-01.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

Not sure I am happy with the seats:

20150605_032144_zpsx6tudllf.jpg

But looking at a modern Kiowas seats, I don't know if I have the skills to reproduce this:

DSC_0281_zpszikp5m32.jpg

Maybe I will try to mess with milliput and try to recreate the seats but I have never done so before.

But you will never know unless you try right?

Richard

Just a thought - form the cushion out of styrene (laminated if you need to build up the thickness). Then "stiple" on liquid glue on the surface that has that sheepskin cover. As you keep poking the glue saturated styrene, you should get a very rough looking surface that after a few coats of paint, will look close to the real thing. Might take a few attempts before you are happy with the end result. Also, keep in mind that these seat covers came along later in the KW's life. Earlier, they had just basic cushions.

Have my 58 in my closet, waiting for zactomodel to relese the interior set.

Richard, looking so good, as always!

Rod.

I have not heard about the interior set from Zactomans. I went on the forum and asked the question when the interior set will be out but got no reply from Chris.

It will be out after I complete the Kiowa.....lol

Richard

The Werner's Wings set also includes the seat side armot plates. They are in the middle of the below pic.

35-01.jpg

Thank you Gino,

I will look for them when I get his update set next week.

Richard

So I was looking at another picture of a modern Kiowa, I saw something on the glare shield that I have to reproduce to make the

glare shield look more like a modern Kiowa.

glare%20shield_zps11mz9mbo.jpg

And in my haste to try the Archer rivets, I put them on incorrectly, this gives me the perfect time to replace them.

OK so I put tape so I won't file away all the details and continued filing away all of the indents at the top of the glare shield.

20150605_193728_zpsjmtevqe6.jpg

20150605_194344_zpsj6ipqjsd.jpg

Then I applied a strip of card to the area where I filed away the indents about 1 cm wide.

And even though I looked at the ref picture, I knew that I wasn't able to create that handle in the middle, I just put a little piece of card to represent the handle (at least that what it looks like to me, but if I am wrong, please correct me.) And then I cut the bolts and placed them on the card.

20150605_203758_zpsjeygpbjx.jpg

20150605_203810_zps7qsaa3fi.jpg

20150605_203857_zps92biofhf.jpg

Now the bolts that I put on top of the card, I will have to file them down a bit.

And then I replaced the raised rivets that I took off filing that area.

20150605_213827_zpsx549gy0v.jpg

Now, I am not a great scratch builder and I hope that I am creating a accurate Kiowa. I am just trying to create what I see in the pictures.

More later.

Richard

Just a few questions:

Pictures speak better that words:

cockpit%201_zpsdbix5hde.jpg

#1..Is this a lamp? And can it be moved? I see some kiowas with the "lamp" up near the top of the roof near the console just above the pilots head.

#2 Don't worry about #2, I found the answer out.

#3. The seatbelts. Can I use the seat belts from the UH-60 PE set that I have for the kiowa?

#4. What is this part? And is it in all kiowa's.

cockpit%202_zpsjnwz722q.jpg

Is this the flight book or log book(I really don't know what it is called...:mental: )?

Thanks for the information guys

Richard

#4, that is called a aviator's kneeboard.

It snaps around the aircrew's thigh and is used to hold maps, approach plates for IFR flights, notes, etc.

Tim

Thanks Tim

Richard

OK. So I tried to use Milliputt to create my new seats......lol......... :whistle:/>

I think that they turned out alright. Now I have to wait for the milliputt to get rock hard so I can file it to shape.

The seats are on the left and the sheepskin cover for the seats are on the right. The reason why I wanted to create the sheepskin

separate from the seats is because in my mind, they will be harder to add on the sheepskin when they are together.

20150606_030311_zpsa5dwusfd.jpg

We will see what they look like tomorrow after I sand them.

:whistle:/> LOL.....

Richard

OK. So I tried to use Milliputt to create my new seats......lol......... :whistle:/>/>

I think that they turned out alright. Now I have to wait for the milliputt to get rock hard so I can file it to shape.

The seats are on the left and the sheepskin cover for the seats are on the right. The reason why I wanted to create the sheepskin

separate from the seats is because in my mind, they will be harder to add on the sheepskin when they are together.

20150606_030311_zpsa5dwusfd.jpg

We will see what they look like tomorrow after I sand them.

:whistle:/>/> LOL.....

Richard

Hey Richard , The Red Flag Scale Modelers Club meets at 6pm the second Friday of each month at the North Las Vegas Airport main terminal. Why not come out and join the group.

CC

Hey Richard , The Red Flag Scale Modelers Club meets at 6pm the second Friday of each month at the North Las Vegas Airport main terminal. Why not come out and join the group.

CC

I will do that CC. I didn't know that we had a Modelers Club in Vegas. Just give me a heads up when you guys are meeting and I will be there.

Richard

Just a few questions:

Pictures speak better that words:

cockpit%201_zpsdbix5hde.jpg

#1..Is this a lamp? And can it be moved? I see some kiowas with the "lamp" up near the top of the roof near the console just above the pilots head.

#2 Don't worry about #2, I found the answer out.

#3. The seatbelts. Can I use the seat belts from the UH-60 PE set that I have for the kiowa?

#4. What is this part? And is it in all kiowa's.

1 is a lamp. It can be removed from its mount and hand held. It has a blue lens.

#2 is a map case

#3 is the same style seat belt as the UH-60. It is a five point harness.

#4 is not on all Warriors. I'm not sure what it is other than a cover for the lightening holes. In combat with front and back chicken plate being worn they would remove the back cushion to give the pilots more room. It is quite possible this was added to prevent wear and tear on the uniforms and chicken plate.

The other thing is a pilots knee board. It is essential piece of equipment. The logbook is a light green book frequently held in the window between the window and the instrument panel.

I hope this helps and answers your questions

Floyd

1 is a lamp. It can be removed from its mount and hand held. It has a blue lens.

#2 is a map case

#3 is the same style seat belt as the UH-60. It is a five point harness.

#4 is not on all Warriors. I'm not sure what it is other than a cover for the lightening holes. In combat with front and back chicken plate being worn they would remove the back cushion to give the pilots more room. It is quite possible this was added to prevent wear and tear on the uniforms and chicken plate.

The other thing is a pilots knee board. It is essential piece of equipment. The logbook is a light green book frequently held in the window between the window and the instrument panel.

I hope this helps and answers your questions

Floyd

Thank you Floyd for answering all my questions. I plan on doing a accurate Kiowa so I looked at some ref pictures on the web and had some questions on certain parts.

Thank again.

Richard

I created my new seats from Milliputt. Now because this was my first time creating seats from anything, It took me a little while.....lol! :whistle:

After about a hour of shaping and reshaping, and starting over and repeating the process again... I think I came up with my seats.

They are not done yet and I don't know if I will use them in the build, it depends on how they look when I am done.

I don't think it looks bad...

20150606_191425_zps0bl4gbir.jpg

20150606_191501_zps32egcr1c.jpg

Now in the above picture, I had to make the seats in two parts, the seat and the back of the seat. I plan on putting them together

as one seat when I am done.

Richard

Also while creating my seats, I knew that I wanted to add some sheep skin to the seats.

So I created some templates to add the sheepskin onto the seats cover.

20150606_205320_zpsdhzl6i4p.jpg

Once again, I don't know if i will use it. It depends on the final rendition, but since this is my first time building seats,

any feedback, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Richard

Edited by ElboogiE

Making the seats as one.

Firs thing that I did was put in the map section on the back wall so I can measure where the seats are to be placed.

Then I taped the back of the seats into position. Then I taped the wall to the cockpit floor.

Then I put the lower seat in the position that I wanted them to be in and then I glued the seat to the back of the seat.

20150606_212650_zpsovv3q3sj.jpg

Now making sure the glue didn't go all the way through the seats onto the plastic, I then removed the seats from the wall and they stood rigid

Then using a very small piece of Milliput, I made small strips and joined the two together.

20150606_215811_zpsaifzfsdo.jpg

That was my solution of joining the seats parts together to make it one seat.

Then while I had the seats together, I decided to scrap the sheep skin templates that I had made for the seats and I created some new ones.

20150606_223034_zpss4i9mwqx.jpg

I waited a hour for the Milliputt to start to get hard and then I removed the templates so they can fully cure.

20150606_235754_zps4vycqtdd.jpg

Richard

Looking at my model, I have been told that when I find a subject (reference picture) that I wanted to model the subject after, keep to it.

So I am modeling my Kiowa off of this reference picture:

DSC_0281_zps7eopqjjl.jpg

While waiting for the milliput to cure, I started on the console between the pilots. I have always wanted to add switches to a console but I have never done so before.

Looking at the reference picture, I see 3 switches on that console.

console_zps01eaihzh.jpg

I decided that I wanted to try it. I broke out a IP from the black hawk that I will never use and took out my smallest drill bit and proceeded to drill two holes.

then I placed 32 gauge wire in the holes and cut them to see what I was dealing with.

20150607_002706_zps3zdxceit.jpg

So onto the middle console. I drilled my 3 holes and the only thing that I was thinking about was to put the holes in the correct location......LOL

So while I did two holes and inserted wire in them, on my 3rd hole, the damn bit broke.......:BANGHEAD2:

20150607_021115_zpsoybip8bc.jpg

20150607_023004_zpsjqhzawhc.jpg

Good thing that I was fortunate to have something that I can hold onto to remove the bit from the plastic. After that I inserted the 3rd wire.

Then I applied CA to the wires to make them glue in place and then after the glue cured, I cut the wire to the appropriate sizes. After that I placed a small tip of ca to the switches to make them look like

switches instead of wire.

20150607_023942_zpsbaxbeaus.jpg

20150607_024002_zpsvowxgiuu.jpg

I know that someone will ask what happened to the back wall? Well I made a mistake drilling in the holes in my back wall, but looking at the ref picture that I am modelling this Kiowa after,

I see a cover over the holes right next to the pilots seat on the right hand side that I need to make to cover my mistake on the holes.

So give me some feedback on how you guys think the switches look, good or bad.

Richard