Here's one more of my modeling dreams that came true :)

1/72 Hasegawa Su-33 complete with Wolfpack Design wingfold, Aires Su-33 cockpit and Quickboost resin radome. Missiles are from ICM AA weapons set. It took me about 12 months to build this model. Aires cockpit fought me, and that wingfold wasn't as easy to install as the one for F/A-18's. It might have been my fault though. In the end it doesn't show that much :)

DSCN4462.JPG

I love how such a large model as this can be made so compact-ish by just folding wings.

DSCN4472.JPG

For the camouflage I've used Pactra FS36375 with a super tiny drop of MM Acrylic Cobalt Blue for the base colour. I'm not too convinced this was the right choice. It's not blue enough. Other colours were Agama Acrylics dedicated to Flankers. I tend to use them a lot in Su-27's and such :)

DSCN4476.JPG

I did a two step wash, the undersides and gray paint was washed with blueaish gray wash, while the rest was done with dark gray wash. I guess I shouldn't have bothered with the blue ;)

DSCN4483.JPG

I always have a problem paiting those R-27's.

DSCN4490.JPG

This is my favourite part of this model - exhaust. Done entirely with brushed on MM Metalizers.

DSCN4496.JPG

DSCN4502.JPG

DSCN4522.JPG

Look how small it is compared to Su-27UB

DSCN4529.JPG

I thought the radome on the -33 was pointing too downward.

DSCN4533.JPG

And here are my two canarded Sukhois together. Somehow I was expecting the -34 to be much larger than the -33.

Gotta wonder how Trumpeter J-15 would look side by side ;)

Thanks for checking out my Su-33 :)I've had a lot of fun building it I'm really glad it's finished :cheers:

Gotta wonder how Trumpeter J-15 would look side by side

Nice Su-33 Thadueus...... :thumbsup:/>/>

The Trumpeter J-15 comes complete with flight deck - and can be made into a folded option (but with a little work).

I did mine on the deck - ready to launch.....

j-15_055.jpg

I have since bought a second Trumpeter J-15 - and used the kit flight deck to display my Hasegawa Su-33 on.

I'll take some pics of both side-by-side....

Ken

PS - The Su-33/J-15 also has a folded tailcone and a folded nose pitot to reduce the overall length. The Trumpeter J-15 kit includes the folded nose pitot - but not the tailcone.

Edited by Flankerman

Hello.

Excellent model, build quality, good color matching, but slightly camouflage the true location of the spots. Well, it is necessary to launch a smaller. ;)

Thanks a lot for Your kind words!

Ken, Your J-15 looks awesome. I'd love to see those side by side shots!

Nazar, there are some mistakes in placement and size of the camouflage spots. I've relied mostly on Hasegawa painting diagram and some pictures found online.

As I was looking at pics right now I realised another mistake! I forgot to paint the chaff/flare launchers on top of the fuselage! :doh:

At Hasegawa camouflage scheme more incorrect, they relied on camouflage scheme Bu/No 80, whereas bu/no 81 it is somewhat different. But this is a minor note, the model is excellent ...

028264.jpg

If you are interested, you can still see here and here, although there are other aircraft regiment

Ken, Your J-15 looks awesome. I'd love to see those side by side shots!

Here goes.......

j-15_061.jpg

I noticed from internet etc photos that the raising mechanisms were different between Lioaning and Kuznetsov - so I modified the blast deflector accordingly (but it isn't quite right :woot.gif:/>/> )

I need to re-do it. :deadhorse1:/>

j-15_064.jpg

j-15_065.jpg

j-15_067.jpg

j-15_072.jpg

j-15_073.jpg

I don't want to swamp your thread Thadeus - there are more photos of the two side-by-side here - just scroll down to "Hasegawa Su-33 vs Trumpeter J-15"

Ken

PS Note that I modified the Su-33 myself to make the double-slotted flaps etc - the J-15 kit has them included (as well as the wing fold) - but you need to do some further work in both cases to make the J-15 correct.

Edited by Flankerman

Thanks a lot fellas for Your kind words!

Nazar - thank You for the pictures, I'll use them next time I'll be building an Su-33 :) And I know there will be a next time :) I did change my mind on the decal option only after I've painted the model - I liked the different placement of the Russian Naval Aviation flag on 81. I didn't stop to think about paint scheme differences! :doh:

Ken - thank You for those shots, they show the differences between the two models. I'll probably do my J-15 with wings folded. But I guess I'll do it in 2016. I usually get a Russian aircraft itch at the turn of the year. I'm just glad that most of the wingfold detail is present on the Trumpeter J-15. That carrier deck is a pretty nice addition too ;)

:cheers:

Always seek. I know a little this aircraft ...And this is how your plane looked to pass the repair and repainting of the new camouflage. The photograph on the left is my father, too, Vladimir Nazarov.

f0O0W8x2y0u252i3_preview.jpg G0E0U8y2g0g2w224_preview.jpg j0F038g2N0X2j2M5_preview.jpg

A0P068t2x02282I6_preview.jpg 50G0T8q270T2T297_preview.jpg

Edited by Nazar

Is that Timur Apakidze with him on the left ??

Great photos BTW

Ken

Hi, Ken. No, the left is my father, and the high is Sergei Raskazov.

thanks ..

Timur Apakidze on the left

g07098q270X874m4_preview.jpg

Awesome pictures Nazar! Thank You for sharing them :) I love that second picture with Su-33 against the sky.

I can imagine flying those powerfull aircraft must be an awesome experience.

Awesome pictures Nazar! Thank You for sharing them :)/> I love that second picture with Su-33 against the sky.

I can imagine flying those powerfull aircraft must be an awesome experience.

I unfortunately this can not imagine .... But my father flew on the Tu-16, Su-24M/MR, Su-25UTG and IL-38 ..

Thadeus,

Just an exceptional build. Those NM engines are very well done. I've been experimenting with MM Metalizers applied with a brush, and you can get outstanding results.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...