I know who this guy is, and he GETS IT! again

The photo tips are REALLY helpful! I am terrible at photography, always have been. I just don't have the knack...that, and to be honest, I don't have the equipment either. I know my photos stink and I agree with those who post that poor photos of good models can have an adverse affect on how said models are commented on (or not commented on whatsoever). I will need to try what I have seen here.

Good stuff!

Tamiya%20F4U-1%20Corsair%2001-06-14%20FINAL-17-X3.jpg

I remember this build now. One of, if not THE best Corsairs I've ever seen, which is saying a lot. That weathering is incredible!

Quick question/ Comment. For general in-progress shots, why not just shoot jpg's and do some minor editing. That's what I do. My camera takes 36 mp RAW pics which I already reduce to 24 mp Fine jpg's. After quick editing using Windows Live Photo Gallery and then shrinking them down further to fit this forum, they still look pretty good without a lot of hassle.

Here's an example. You just can't do this with a phone or video camera.

CockpitFinal11.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Eh, my input on the poor photos is this:

I, like others, want to participate but as a student with limited resources and time I can only give marginal photos. Also, most of us don't have personal servers. Photobucket downsamples the pictures I take which makes them even worse. Sometimes just going through the action of trying to put something up for others to consume and critique is better than just letting a forum sit for days on end with no activity. So even us poor photo sharers serve a purpose in breaking the ice every once in a while.

My models? not great but I'm proud of them. I truly believe that the future of this hobbies lies with those in their 20s because they are keeping it alive long enough to pass to the next generation.

I remember this build now. One of, if not THE best Corsairs I've ever seen, which is saying a lot. That weathering is incredible!

Quick question/ Comment. For general in-progress shots, why not just shoot jpg's and do some minor editing. [/img]

Thanks! Definitely one of those rare builds where it felt like things just kinda clicked.

For in-progress shots, again it's the extra effort of yanking the card out of the camera, pulling out the computer, blah blah. I've got my Lightroom settings so dialed in that it'd honestly be more work to deal with jpgs. Two main adjustment macros - one for elevated shots and one for eye-level, a few slider tweaks here and there if needed, and then I export everything out to Smugmug (MUCH better quality retention than Photobucket).

Basically - laziness, pure and simple.

The photo tips are REALLY helpful! I am terrible at photography, always have been. I just don't have the knack...that, and to be honest, I don't have the equipment either. I know my photos stink and I agree with those who post that poor photos of good models can have an adverse affect on how said models are commented on (or not commented on whatsoever). I will need to try what I have seen here.

Good stuff!

Don - by no means exhaustive, but here are some tips I put together a while back for improving model photography: http://doogsmodels.com/2011/07/15/5-tips-to-improving-your-model-photography/

Thanks! Definitely one of those rare builds where it felt like things just kinda clicked.

For in-progress shots, again it's the extra effort of yanking the card out of the camera, pulling out the computer, blah blah. I've got my Lightroom settings so dialed in that it'd honestly be more work to deal with jpgs. Two main adjustment macros - one for elevated shots and one for eye-level, a few slider tweaks here and there if needed, and then I export everything out to Smugmug (MUCH better quality retention than Photobucket).

Basically - laziness, pure and simple.

Hey Doog, to get this topic back on track, the pic of the Corsair wing reminded me of something. When I saw your build a few months ago I was blown away by the quality of painting, etc., but I did notice a flaw as shown below. Now if I had critiqued you about this at the time when the model is completely finished and there's not a damn thing you can do about it, how would you feel? I think you'd think I was a jerk (so would I) so I didn't.

Tamiya%20F4U-1%20Corsair%20Leg.jpg

They don't exist on the real deal of course, but I just had to make sure:

F-4U gear legs

I'll take this image down once you've responded, but I want to make a point. Critiques like this when the model is completed are over the line- at least in my opinion.

Edited by chuck540z3

Hey Doog, to get this topic back on track, the pic of the Corsair wing reminded me of something. When I saw your build a few months ago I was blown away by the quality of painting, etc., but I did notice a flaw as shown below. Now if I had critiqued you about this at the time when the model is completely finished and there's not a damn thing you can do about it, how would you feel? I think you'd think I was a jerk, so I didn't.

Tamiya%20F4U-1%20Corsair%20Leg.jpg

They don't exist on the real deal of course, but I just had to make sure:

F-4U gear legs

I'll take this image down once you've responded, but I want to make a point. Critiques like this when the model is completed are over the line- at least in my opinion.

So, a few things!

1 - In all fairness, I totally missed the seams when I was dealing with the landing gear. I had some issues with the resin tires (I installed something to something in the wrong order and it made for some problems) and got distracted from some of the other detail.

2 - I actually love feedback like this (and someone did point it out at the time) because it's a facepalm moment that I sure as hell can improve on my next build. You can bet the next Corsair I tackle will receive extra attention in the strut department.

3 - It's actually up in the air as to accuracy. Here's a pic I took of the struts on a Corsair at the Naval Aviation Museum in 2014. Now...not saying I was intentionally going for this...I just flubbed it...but on my next build I will probably use some stretched sprue and expletives to create some weld seams.

08-14-14%20NAAM-30-X3.jpg

3 - It's actually up in the air as to accuracy. Here's a pic I took of the struts on a Corsair at the Naval Aviation Museum in 2014. Now...not saying I was intentionally going for this...I just flubbed it...but on my next build I will probably use some stretched sprue and expletives to create some weld seams.

Cool, good to know. I think I would have just lied and said I tried it, so "My work is so great and if you're critiquing it you just don't understand". :D

Also, in terms of feedback that can lead places...here's the AH-1Z I polished off earlier this year.

Kitty%20Hawk%20AH-1Z%2004-15-15%20FINAL-20-X3.jpg

Kitty%20Hawk%20AH-1Z%2004-15-15%20FINAL-7-X3.jpg

I'm generally happy with it - but still see plenty of room for improvement. My treatment of the MFDs, for example, could have been better (and the seats are a bit of a mess, but more because of the kit's limitations...it could really do with some resin assistance in places). The real thing also has canopy pulls that by the end of the build I was just too beat to fuss with.

And a big one...the rotor cuffs. The real thing's rotors are built to fold for ship storage, and have a lot of fantastic detail. The kit...doesn't. Now, I'm not sure that's something that's really fixable without massive, kit-risking surgery, but it'd be a worthwhile discussion to have anyway.

I saw your Me-262 at last year's ATX show. What are you taking to the show this year? Also, what's your involvement with local modeling clubs or just other modelers around ATX?

Edited by Exhausted

I'm generally happy with it - but still see plenty of room for improvement. My treatment of the MFDs, for example, could have been better (and the seats are a bit of a mess, but more because of the kit's limitations...it could really do with some resin assistance in places). The real thing also has canopy pulls that by the end of the build I was just too beat to fuss with.

And a big one...the rotor cuffs. The real thing's rotors are built to fold for ship storage, and have a lot of fantastic detail. The kit...doesn't. Now, I'm not sure that's something that's really fixable without massive, kit-risking surgery, but it'd be a worthwhile discussion to have anyway.

Yeah, my first reaction was, "what a POS". LOL, that thing is beautiful!

I saw your Me-262 at last year's ATX show. What are you taking to the show this year? Also, what's your involvement with local modeling clubs or just other modelers around ATX?

I'll be taking the Corsair, Viper and F-5B that I just wrapped for sure. Maybe my Bf 109G-10, though the canopy's flopped over and I'd need to right it beforehand.

Might also bring the Leopard C2 I'm working on right now - if I can finish it in time.

As for local clubs...they all meet up north, and I've got a demanding job and three young kids, so skipping out for meetings is pretty much a non-starter. Mostly I'm active online, though I do go to the Austin and San Antonio shows.

I'll be taking the Corsair, Viper and F-5B that I just wrapped for sure. Maybe my Bf 109G-10, though the canopy's flopped over and I'd need to right it beforehand.

Might also bring the Leopard C2 I'm working on right now - if I can finish it in time.

As for local clubs...they all meet up north, and I've got a demanding job and three young kids, so skipping out for meetings is pretty much a non-starter. Mostly I'm active online, though I do go to the Austin and San Antonio shows.

Hey Doogs, you should head on down to the Lake Charles, LA Calmex show in January as well. Not as close to you are San Antonio of course but a lot of those guys come on down for it. Would love to see your work there. And the gumbo is worth the trip. :woot.gif:

Bill

Hey Doogs, you should head on down to the Lake Charles, LA Calmex show in January as well. Not as close to you are San Antonio of course but a lot of those guys come on down for it. Would love to see your work there. And the gumbo is worth the trip. :woot.gif:/>

Bill

Wish I could. Sadly for me it's day-trip or bust. Even Houston and DFW are pushing it.

You can help me a bit. I want to put an order in at UMM for lead wire. I just have no idea what sizes would work best in 1/32...suggestions?

Sure, buy them all. The round wire comes in 0.2 mm all the way up to 1.0 mm and I have used just about every size. The thicker stuff can be pipes while the thinner lead can be used for wiring, which I sometimes twist together.

Gearwell6.jpg

For regular wiring where I want a silver color and the wire to be rigid, buy some 26-30 gauge wire from an electronics store like this:

Wire1.jpg

Neat man. I live off 290/183 but I go to UT. I take it by your reaction that you live in south Austin... WHICH HAS ITS PERKS

You can also get a variety of thin lead wiring at stores which would sell fly fishing equipment. The wire is used to make flies. It's relatively inexpensive as well

fly shops sell lead and non-lead wire on spools for about $5.00. It comes in .010", .015",.025", and I think .031".

You can also buy brass, copper, and stainless steel wire on spools. You can also buy silver and gold wire if you got deep pockets.

gary

Neat man. I live off 290/183 but I go to UT. I take it by your reaction that you live in south Austin... WHICH HAS ITS PERKS

Yep - graduated from UT back in '02. These days I'm out by Oak Hill and work out on the east side (after working downtown forever)

That's a...curious way to read what I wrote.

Tell me, how does "nice build!" or "awesome! Love it! :jaw-dropping:/> " provide any kind of useful feedback? Yeah, affirmation gives the warm fuzzies but that's about it.

Feedback isn't necessarily about accuracy, or knowing "every last thing". We all have different experiences and perspectives. Not all feedback is going to be "right", but if it's never asked for and never given, you're just building in a vacuum. As a kid that's all I experienced, and I would have loved to have other modelers pointing out where I'd gone astray or how I could do X thing better.

I love my warm fuzzies bro

So,,my feelings on posting and critiszm. 1.Maybe it should be constructive COMMENTS !

2. When I did post my builds on line it was mostly to show folks what I was doing.

3. I know thiere good and lesser points,so I don't really need a lot of feedback.

4.Sure some attaboys felt good,but don't need two pages of them.

Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So constructive comments don't really help.

See point #1 ,,,,, And.if you critisise my post I will have a sulk LOL cheers Ernie :mellow:/> :soapbox:/>