Worst (US) Military Bases

Altus AFB. What remaining facilities are antiquated. The BX is the size of a shoebox. Clubs a joke. So I stay off base as much as possible.

However, the place has grown on me. I'm able to hunt and hike up in the few rocky hills and lake areas. Has made me appreciate having less, actually.

-Jeff

Altus AFB. What remaining facilities are antiquated. The BX is the size of a shoebox. Clubs a joke. So I stay off base as much as possible.

However, the place has grown on me. I'm able to hunt and hike up in the few rocky hills and lake areas. Has made me appreciate having less, actually.

-Jeff

I lived there as a kid, 4th through 6th grade for me, 1969 through 1971 when my father was stationed there. It was not the greatest place then, either. I did get to see the last B-52C leave and the first C-5A arrive, for whatever that's worth. We had fun killing black widow spiders, throwing rocks at water moccasin snakes and catching crawdads in Stinking Creek which ran through Base Housing. The stench from the feed lot and slaughterhouse east of the base when the winds blew from that way left strong memories. I remember the place being dead flat except for distant rocky hills you mentioned. Is the B-47 still at that park in town?

Yeehaw! Ft. Bliss number seven! :tumble:/>

There was a few things to do there keeping it from getting lower in the ranking.

Aside from on base stuff. Off base you had some really great restaurants and more importantly lots and lots of dance and strip clubs there.

Juarez walk across the border and drink and drown for 7 bucks from 9 till 5am. Afterwards Chicos tacos and Whataburger to soak up the alcohol. :beer4:/>

I attended a IPMS Regional there too. It was actually a really good show!

Lots of sports and concerts.

The real bad thing was it was 10 hours to San Antonio and 5 hours to Albuquerque.

Back in NorCal I have to say there times I actually miss El Paso.

Heard nothing but bad things about Ft. Polk from guys that had the misfortune of being stationed / deployed there.

Polk is the armpit of the military universe. I advised the LA ARNG and we would have to go down there on drill weekends (from Shreveport)and a month during their AT (96-99). One movie theater in town with two screens, terrible club, wretched golf course (it had potential). Leesville just hasn't much of anything. There were some places our team would not want to go (and we were all big guys).

Ft. Stewart. I was there from 91-93.

Stewart wasn't bad compared to Polk (though I lived in Savannah). I was there 92-96 (2-4 CAV and 4-64 AR)

Yeehaw! Ft. Bliss number seven! :tumble:/>/>/>

At least Bliss has a town with some redeeming qualities. I did some time there TDY. ADA land gave me the creeps. May be better now that they have a division there.

Yeehaw! Ft. Bliss number seven! :tumble:/>/>/>

There was a few things to do there keeping it from getting lower in the ranking.

Aside from on base stuff. Off base you had some really great restaurants and more importantly lots and lots of dance and strip clubs there.

Juarez walk across the border and drink and drown for 7 bucks from 9 till 5am. Afterwards Chicos tacos and Whataburger to soak up the alcohol. :beer4:/>/>/>

I attended a IPMS Regional there too. It was actually a really good show!

Lots of sports and concerts.

The real bad thing was it was 10 hours to San Antonio and 5 hours to Albuquerque.

Back in NorCal I have to say there times I actually miss El Paso.

Hell yeah, Bliss......

Too bad they didn't include McGreggor Range, or "Where the f*#k are we Range". I actually lived out there the first year that I was assigned to Bliss. It sucked lizard balls.

Glad to see that a mandatory visit to Chicos or Whataburger after getting alcoholically smoked is still SOP.

El Paso is a city with a lot to do, Juarez isn't "too bad", as long as you stay out of trouble. My wife still has family living there. But you are correct, there's nothing for hours outside of city limits.

One of the best hobby shops that I have ever been to is/was there.....Hal's Hobby Warehouse off of Bessimer.

When were you there? I wasted life and brain cells there 1991-1994.

It's also nice to see Irwin on the list as well....and yes, the description is spot on. The only good thing was that we were on constant field rotation hoe-slapping Bluefor to think about it that much. I ended up staying in Barstow for the 2+ years that I was with OPFOR because on-base house sucked at an infamous level. Of course there is the dangerously infamous "10 mile stretch".....the spot of road from the pass to the front gate that always seems to take lives every few months.

Edited by Johnopfor

Beale AFB, CA has to rank fairly high. I was there from 99-02. There wasn't hardly anything in Marysville/Yuba City. There was a Walmart and that was about it. Roseville/Sacramento was about an hour or so away but as far as cities go that is nothing to brag about.

The base is pretty small, it did have decent housing but that was about the only plus. The BX and commissary were about average, the one gym wasn't very good, and there isn't much to do in the local area at all. The one plus is being three hours from San Francisco and about three hours to Lake Tahoe, but even that is further than I like for a day trip.

Too bad they didn't include McGreggor Range, or "Where the f*#k are we Range". I actually lived out there the first year that I was assigned to Bliss. It sucked lizard balls.

With the exception of Polk and a couple ranges in Nevada, range life ain't that bad.....

I lived there as a kid, 4th through 6th grade for me, 1969 through 1971 when my father was stationed there. It was not the greatest place then, either. I did get to see the last B-52C leave and the first C-5A arrive, for whatever that's worth. We had fun killing black widow spiders, throwing rocks at water moccasin snakes and catching crawdads in Stinking Creek which ran through Base Housing. The stench from the feed lot and slaughterhouse east of the base when the winds blew from that way left strong memories. I remember the place being dead flat except for distant rocky hills you mentioned. Is the B-47 still at that park in town?

Yes, the creek is still there through housing. As are all the bugs you mentioned. To the south, is BAR-S foods so when the wind blows out of that direction, you get the hot dog smell.

Yep, the RB-47 is out in front of the town pool. Sadly, they repainted in in house paint again so it looks like crap.

-Jeff

Hell yeah, Bliss......

Glad to see that a mandatory visit to Chicos or Whataburger after getting alcoholically smoked is still SOP.

El Paso is a city with a lot to do, Juarez isn't "too bad", as long as you stay out of trouble. My wife still has family living there. But you are correct, there's nothing for hours outside of city limits.

One of the best hobby shops that I have ever been to is/was there.....Hal's Hobby Warehouse off of Bessimer.

When were you there? I wasted life and brain cells there 1991-1994.

1996-99

I remember Hal's. That was one thing that I didn't like was the lack of hobby shops around there.

I still get cravings for Chico's!

Err... ok buddy.

Have no idea what you are talking about but regardless, between this and your other recent posts, you sound a bit out of sorts.

Hope things work out for you.

Your threads and posts tend to be of a negative or defeatist nature.

I would describe you as a diplomatic troll here. Seriously.

In political discourse I deal with people just like yourself all the time. Always seeing the glass as half empty and such.

Just a observation smile.gif .

I was stationed at Ft Knox, KY (twice), Ft Polk, LA, Norfolk NOB, VA, Ft Benning, GA (multiple times), Ft Irwin and George AFB, CA, and Ft Bliss, TX in the States and Fulda, Frankfort and Baumholder in West Germany. I agree with the previous comments about the "Command Climate" makes a big difference. The best Post in the world can suck if you have crappy chain of command. I begged for Ft Irwin, coming out of command in Germany. Army was offering me Readiness Command and Recruiting jobs. I had lived on Edwards AFB as an Air Force brat, so the high Mojave a place I enjoyed. I was offered an active duty tour at Ft Bliss, TX, for a great job in 2011, stayed two years. I took that job because my son's unit was transferring from Ft Hood after redeployment from the Stan. I liked Ft Polk, but hated the humidity and the Fire Ants, but I met my wife of 36 years there, so can't complain too much. The best posts, for me, were in Germany, especially Baumholder, where I had two company commands.

Edited by Ranger74

Your threads and posts tend to be of a negative or defeatist nature.

I would describe you as a diplomatic troll here. Seriously.

In political discourse I deal with people just like yourself all the time. Always seeing the glass as half empty and such.

Just a observation smile.gif .

"diplomatic troll"... I've been called many things in life but I have to admit, that's a new one. Thank you for the candid feedback. I'll certainly reflect upon it but I honestly don't feel that I'm overly negative. Maybe if I posted "Which US Military Bases Have the Prettiest Buildings and Best Food" you would have reconsidered? But then we'd just have a bunch of boring posts about Air Force bases. That's no fun.

The only thread that I might occasionally take a "defeatist" approach to is your beloved F-35 thread and honestly, anyone with a bit of impartiality on the subject can probably agree that the F-35 has maybe just a few lingering issues. Even if you don't agree, how boring would it be if the F-35 thread just consisted of pretty pictures and "The JSF is the koolest plane in the world" type posts? Yawn....

I think I've got a decent track record here. Unless the mods want to toss me out, I'll probably just keep being me. If they do toss me out, life will certainly go on post-ARC and I'll still sleep quite well at night.