Group Buiild Proposal

Recce Birds Rule  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested?

• yes
    • no

I'll be in with Antonov An-71.

Aaaah, the Great Grand Nephew thrice removed of the E-3 AWACS. I had never heard of that one, but Google is my friend. Looks good to me.

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78

We have approval from the GB Mods for the Recce Birds-Part Deux GB to run from July 1, 2016 through January 1, 2017. The GB site/thread will be opened up by the GB Mods a few days before the start date, so we have plenty of time to finish up current projects and plan what we want for entries in the GB. Hopefully, one of the pinned thread posts will be a running list of who is working on which project. I will keep that up to date once the start date gets here and then each person can let me know what they will be building. Dust off the stash, pick a project, order AM decals, resin, PE or whatever and let's be ready to roll on July 1st. Thanks for all the interest so far.

Darwin

Hi,

So, the recce GB will run from the 1st of July. That's quite all right for me: I'm in the Spitfire GB that will start on March 1st.

For the recce GB, I hope to build a 1/48 Tanmodel RF-84F (Belgian Air Force) and a 1/72 Airfix O-1 in US ARMY markings.

Cheers, Stefan.

Is the F-16 from Peoria or Springfield, Illinois? I grew up a few miles east of the Peoria airport and can remember them flying P-51's and F-84's. That build would be of personal interest to me.

Darwin

Springfield. Peoria got rid of their F-16s before the TARS pod became operational AFAIK. :D

• 1 month later...

We are a few days into April, so the start date for "Recce Birds, Part Deux" is less than 3 months away. Time to start making some decisions on what kit to build and what after market items to order. I have mine down to 3 that are partially built and 3 more not yet started. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Darwin

So Darwin, can you give us any idea on what the ground rules will be? Such as how far along a kit can be started.... Also, and not that I'd be doing one, but for some they are interested in what-if's and may want to join in.

And right now I'm planning to do a 1/144 RC-135W Rivet Joint using the Minicraft KC-135R as a starting point. Can't wait.

Don

Edited by Drifterdon

I'm interested, I was going to build my RQ-7 for this build but instead I built it a few weekends ago. Yesterday I was in Hobbytown and came across a Revell Germany MQ-9 at half price so I got that and unless I build it sooner it will be my entry for this GB.

20160327_232142.jpg

So Darwin, can you give us any idea on what the ground rules will be? Such as how far along a kit can be started.... Also, and not that I'd be doing one, but for some they are interested in what-if's and may want to join in. Don

This is the description I used to apply for the group build approval, so that is what I will be using. I want the GB to be as open as possible so as to get the maximum participation.

"Description: This GB would be open to any machine that managed to get airborne with the intention of collecting intelligence information. This would include visual, photo, SIGINT, COMINT or ELINT. Anything from a hot air balloon with a guy with binoculars to the most modern manned jets and drones. Any country, any time frame, any scale, even What If's. Beginning with an unstarted kit would be nice, but I would agree to anything up to 75% already completed. Maybe this would get a few of those "shelf queens" back in action. I would volunteer to be one of the mods, but would appreciate someone to help. I know that this is short notice, but there are currently only 2 GB's scheduled for a March start, so why wait? If we cannot get this going by March 1, then I would like to propose July 1."

Edited by yardbird78
  • 2 weeks later...

Two months and counting. Time to start making some decisions on what kit to build and what after market items to order. I have mine down to 3 that are partially built and 3 more not yet started. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Shortly after the USAF became a separate service branch in 1947, they changed all of the P for Pursuit designations to F for Fighter. There were several F designations for Pursuit planes in WW-II that indicated that they were used as dedicated reconnaissance platforms. For anyone thinking of building a WW-II recce bird, here are the translations from F to P.

F-1 = Fairchild C-8

F-2 = Beech C-45 Expediter

F-3 = Douglas A-20 Havoc

F-4 = Lockheed P-38 Lightening

F-5 = Lockheed P-38 Lightening

F-6 = North American P-51 Mustang

F-7 = Consolidated B-24 Liberator

F-8 = DeHavilland Mosquito

F-9 = Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

F-10 = North American B-25 Mitchell

F-11 = Hughes Aviation XF-11

F-12 = Hughes Aviation XF-12 Rainbow

F-13 = Boeing B-29 Super Fortress

F-14 = Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star

F-15 = Northrop P-61 Black Widow

Darwin

I thought that I would keep the interest in this GB stirred up by posting some Recce Bird Photos. More to come later and there are a lot that I don't have photos of or don't know about.

Republic RF-84F Thunderflash

RF-84F%2043_zpsgonqjgwl.jpg

McDonnell RF-101C VooDoo

RF-101C%20001_zpsedzaagm2.jpg

McDonnell RF-4C Phantom II

RF-4C%2003%2010th%20TRW_zps5p0dcqve.jpg

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78