Have You Ever Wanted a MiG Cannon?

Well now you can have one!!!

Apex is putting out some parts kits of the GSH-23 auto cannon used on the MiG-21, Tu-95, and more. It's an attractive deal at $3,495, but I can't see myself jumping on this one.

07jan16_gsh23_mid01.jpg

http://www.apexgunparts.com/gsh-23-cannon.html

Additionally, NS-23 cannon from the MiG-15/17 are available as well!

19feb16_ns23inc_mid.jpg

http://www.apexgunparts.com/ns-23-cannon-6202.html

Edited by Exhausted

:woot.gif:/>

Somehow I don't see this sort of item getting past the Canadian border inspection. They will x-ray the box and say..."hummm.....this one looks interesting."

I've seen the Canadian Border inspectors assemble complete large rifles from individual parts when each part is mailed in an separate box.

Is an item like these MiG Cannons possible to import into the US?

Is an item like these MiG Cannons possible to import into the US?

The barrels and parts are ok. The receiver is legally the firearm and this would require some special paperwork. For one, the receiver is for a weapon more than 50 caliber, but the function of the GSH seems to be similar to a gatling (?). For a collector the parts should be OK to own, but building a firearm out of this would require a destructive devices permit, as would each round you would like to buy to fire it.

I would think that the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms people as well as customs would be VERY interested in anyone trying to import something like this. There are several Mig-15 and Mig-17 planes belonging to private individuals in the US that APPEAR to have the 2 X 23mm and the 37mm cannons in place. I imagine that they are some kind of non-firing replica like the 50 cals in US WW-II restorations.

I've bought from Apex before and I believe these cannon parts have already been imported, per regulations. The receivers must be chopped, with gaps, and it looks like the barrels have been cut as well. Barrels don't seem too difficult to replicate if you have the tooling.

Ejection seat, instrument panel(s), instruments, stick and/or throttle, perhaps a piece of fuselage with a national or squadron insignia still painted on it...sure. A cannon...nah. Doesn't trip my trigger :P .

:cheers:

Reminds me of Steven Wright being stopped by Canadian customs at the border.

Border Guard: Do you have any firearms?

Steven Wright: Why, what do you need?

I got stopped crossing from Detroit to Windsor one time. I was driving an Isuzu pickup at the time, with no cap or cover over the bed. The (very attractive) young lady on the Canadian side asked if I had any firearms. I said I didn't. She said, "No guns at all?". "No m'am, no guns at all". "So what do you use for protection?"

Only after I was about a half mile down the road did I think of what I should have said: "I use Trojans, ribbed for your pleasure, what do you use?" :)

Only after I was about a half mile down the road did I think of what I should have said: "I use Trojans, ribbed for your pleasure, what do you use?" :)

Ya know you could also turn them inside out and now they're rib--- oh nevermind

If you have a better look at the photos you can see that the barrel has been can in several places, the main gun body has also been cut all the way through so to make it operational again it would be easier to start from scratch and produce the whole new gun! There are laws and technology on how to make guns of this sort “safe” and non operational and based on the photos it has been “decommissioned” properly.

One can argue that if you have enough money you can make it operational again ( I would argue with that) but still what will you do with it???? Go hunting? You would need a plane to fit it to. If someone wants an operational MiG and has the money to get it, I am sure he will have the money to get a proper gun for it too and will not waste time and lots of money on trying to make this example work again!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would say most of the knifes sold freely at any household store are far more lethal than the set of gun remains shown above!

We had in the past produced souvenirs from once was MiG-15 barrels, where they were cut into rings of just 1.5 cm in length and mounted on an attractive wooden stand with appropriate etched brass plate to go with it. People love it. Yes, it is a part of a once was very powerful gun but what are the chances of someone buying several dozens of the 1.5 cm rings to weld together them into a working gun barrel??????

Maybe not in the US or Canada but in Europe I would think that with all appropriate paperwork on hand this would work and you could have one of this “gun” at home.

Mind you the present laws around here would not even allow you to have an empty gun shell, no matter what caliber and how old it is. :bandhead2:/> The only way you can have it as a private person is if a hole is drilled into it. But a lot of people have properly decommissioned guns or parts from aircraft. With all the paperwork in order it could work.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

If you have a turn lathe you can replicate barrels with the right bits. Of course you need to preharden the rods first, but once you do that you can work on the rifling. The receiver is cut as well, but you may be able to cast or machine one. But your actual roadblocks are that a) if you're in the USA you need a special destructive devices permit and a tax stamp, B)/> it can't be fully automatic unless you are a dealer, and c) each round of 23mm ammunition must also have a destructive devices permit for EACH INDIVIDUAL ROUND, meaning an extra $200 per shot.

Edited by Exhausted