Tamiya 1:48 F-14 2.0

If they (Tamiya) don't pursue later versions of the 'A' then odds are high the AM fellas will jump on it. It seems based on what I have read here and the previous (now locked...) Tamiya thread that the changes are not earth shattering nor above the average modelers skill level to complete. Hey I hope Tamiya does pursue later 'A' releases as I see the Tamiya kit being the go-to Tomcat model for building one with everything up and tucked. But if they don't I think we will be well served by the AM guys.

:cheers:

They might be able to release a late A and B in the same box. Only real difference is the engines. At the end both carried LANTIRN, had the same set of ALQs, NACA GGVs, square PTID on the RIO's panel. Tamiya adds a sprue with late parts and includes a set of GE shrouds and blowers, and a decal option for a B, they could satisfy both in one box.

They might be able to release a late A and B in the same box. Only real difference is the engines. At the end both carried LANTIRN, had the same set of ALQs, NACA GGVs, square PTID on the RIO's panel. Tamiya adds a sprue with late parts and includes a set of GE shrouds and blowers, and a decal option for a B, they could satisfy both in one box.

The cockpit is different no only de Ptid

But whit some sprues more, maybe in one box F-14A/B and D is possible...

The cockpit is different no only de Ptid

But whit some sprues more, maybe in one box F-14A/B and D is possible...

The differences between the A and the B cockpits is very minimal, though. Someone would be hard pressed to distinguish them in 1/48 scale. Now, the difference between the A/B and the D is another story. Those differences are quite substantial.

7 more days until the first day of the 2016 IPMS National Convention. :o/>

I've got to hustle and get done casting. Stop by the Steel Beach table and introduce yourself. I can't wait to get my hands on the new Tomcat. September can't come soon enough!

So, i'm finishing up this quick build for the IPMS National Convention and reflecting back it has been very enjoyable experience, though it has been some very late nights for me. It hit me in the drive thru last night saying to myself, I cant wait to build another F-14 from Tamiya. This kit builds up fantastically well and in some areas the fit is so good you don't even need glue. In close examination Tamiya has proved some features that creates better alignment of parts and a positive, secure feeling to them. I hope you not only pick up one, but several as it is a pure joy to build a Tomcat model without the usual headaches from the inferior products of the past. Tomcat modelers rejoice the ease of assembly of an accurate F-14 Tomcat model is a few months away. Head to the store pre-order the kit and while your there buy some paint.

Here are the recommended paints for this kit.

Item Description

86510 AS-10 Ocean Gray (RAF)

86514 AS-14 Olive Green (USAF)

86516 AS-16 Light Gray (USAF)

81501 Acrylic Mini X-1 Black

81502 Acrylic Mini X-2 White

81503 Acrylic Mini X-3 Royal Blue

81507 Acrylic Mini X-7 Red

81508 Acrylic Mini X-8 Lemon Yellow

81510 Acrylic Mini X-10 Gun Metal

81511 Acrylic Mini X-11 Chrome Silver

81518 Acrylic Mini X-18 Semi Gls. Black

81523 Acrylic Mini X-23 Clear Blue

81525 Acrylic Mini X-25 Clear Green

81526 Acrylic Mini X-26 Clear Orange

81527 Acrylic Mini X-27 Clear Red

81531 Acrylic Mini X-31 Titan Gold

81701 Acrylic Mini XF-1 Flat Black

81702 Acrylic Mini XF-2 Flat White

81703 Acrylic Mini XF-3 Flat Yellow

81705 Acrylic Mini XF-5 Flat Green

81707 Acrylic Mini XF-7 Flat Red

81712 Acrylic Mini XF-12 J.N. Grey

81715 Acrylic Mini XF-15 Flat Flesh

81716 Acrylic Mini XF-16 Flat Aluminum

81719 Acrylic Mini XF-19 Sky Grey

81720 Acrylic Mini XF-20 Medium Grey

81725 Acrylic Mini XF-25 Lt Sea Grey

81749 Acrylic Mini XF-49 Khaki

81755 Acrylic Mini XF-55 Deck Tan

81756 Acrylic Mini XF-56 Metallic Grey

81757 Acrylic Mini XF-57 Buff

81758 Acrylic Mini XF-58 Olive Green

81759 Acrylic Mini XF-59 Desert Yellow

81761 Acrylic Mini XF-61 Dark Green

81763 Acrylic Mini XF-63 German Grey

81764 Acrylic Mini XF-64 Red Brown

81771 Acrylic Mini XF-71 Cockpit Green

81785 Acrylic Mini XF-85 Rubber Blk

85017 Spray Lacquer TS-17 Alum. Silver

85027 Spray Lacquer TS-27 Matte White

85029 Spray Lacquer TS-29 Sem Gls Blk

Edited by gtypecanare

So, i'm finishing up this quick build for the IPMS National Convention and reflecting back it has been very enjoyable experience, though it has been some very late nights for me. It hit me in the drive thru last night saying to myself, I cant wait to build another F-14 from Tamiya. This kit builds up fantastically well and in some areas the fit is so good you don't even need glue. In close examination Tamiya has proved some features that creates better alignment of parts and a positive, secure feeling to them. I hope you not only pick up one, but several as it is a pure joy to build a Tomcat model without the usual headaches from the inferior products of the past. Tomcat modelers rejoice the ease of assembly of an accurate F-14 Tomcat model is a few months away. Head to the store pre-order the kit and while your there buy some paint.

I am soooo jealous! Then again if you're even a mild Tomcat fan who wouldn't be jealous :woot.gif:! This kit is the kit that I am the most excited about. Tamiya...Tomcat...what's better :thumbsup: . Can't wait to get my paws on one.

:cheers:

I wonder how much mixing they recommend to get the shades right. I really wish they'd bottle their AS colors. Their light ghost grey and dark ghost gray AS sprays are about dead on for USN TPS colors. I have to decant them to use them in an airbrush. I'll still use MM medium gray for the TPS top shade, though. The Tamiya AS medium gray is lighter than their dark ghost gray.

I've got a LOT of spare TCS pods (models I throw away get stripped of useful parts like weapons, pilot figures, and the like), so I might put one on this and push the date more securely into the 80's. That Fightertown Best of the Best sheet is starting to look really attractive. I'll just have to see how I feel before I paint the crew helmets. That's decision time.

There are only 3 colors you will need mixing.

XF-2:1+XF-55:2 for the ALR-45 receiver on the horizontal stabilizer

XF-61:3+XF-2:1 for the main color for the flight suit

XF-25:4+XF-61:1 for the survival vest and g-suit

The main fuselage color is AS-16 and TS-27.

They want you to mix light grey and dark green for the SV and anti-g? Weird. In my experience, the SV-2B survival vest, LPU-23 life preserver, and CSU-13 anti-g have all been OD green when new and tend to fade towards OD brown with age. If the flight suit is a CWU-27/p, it'll be sage green. Earlier K-2Bs were also called sage green but they tended towards grey green, which is very noticable on a hanger next to the -27. Differences in coloration of course comes with different dye batches, age, and manufacturer. The MA-2 torso harness, of which some should peak out from behind the SV, would be medium green that is rather glossy when new, with grey-green straps.

This page is not the most precise on information, but it does give a good look at the gear from various periods. http://www.salimbeti.com/aviation/equipment2.htm

Edited by Swordsman422

Wish I could be there to witness it in person gtype. Hearing that Tamiya has engineered a kit that not only looks good but also BUILDS well is music to my ears. I love F-14s. I just don't like having to fight hand to hand combat with the Hasegawa kit, or scribe the Monogram kits. The Academy has been a nice alternative, but you pretty much have to rescribe 1/3rd of it (the nose) to really make it shine. And like Don I have a few bits, boobs and decals stashed away from past projects that I can scrounge for updates to this one if I really feel like I am in the mood to do something that doesn't have a late 1970s high-viz gray over white paintjob.

Looking at the picture i posted in more detail I come to a conclusion my hand painting skills suck......Mass props to those that do figure painting!

LOL. Pictures seem to always do that, especially when you focus right up close. As long as you get the high spots, it will look fine in the cockpit. Now if you want to clean up that yellow painted area on the edge of the visor, a Sakura Micron black pen with a .005 tip (available at most any art supply retailer) works WONDERS as a fine black paint line cheat. I use them all the time for stuff like this.

LOL. Pictures seem to always do that, especially when you focus right up close. As long as you get the high spots, it will look fine in the cockpit. Now if you want to clean up that yellow painted area on the edge of the visor, a Sakura Micron black pen with a .005 tip (available at most any art supply retailer) works WONDERS as a fine black paint line cheat. I use them all the time for stuff like this.

^^^^^^^^ This!

Rush-rush.....

E7C1FA63-5F58-447A-8718-52F483BF3A92_zpsfdqlpis9.jpg

Whoa! Those figures are going to be an awesome addition! This kit just keeps getting better and better. And the excitement continues to build :woot.gif:!