F-4 unusual load

hah, this must have been "fun" back then

Each Rack has a limit, each TER, MER and MBR had a limit, each pylon had a limit, each airframe had a limit,,,,,,and you had to allow for gas if you were doing anything more than taking off from Da Nang and bombing anywhere farther than the Air Base perimeter.

All while making sure that you didn't shoot missiles or rockets through Napalm tanks, or cook off bombs with the missile exhausts.

Edited by Rex
2 hours ago, Finn said:

No, the Mk-84 had 30" lugs, the TER/MER racks could only take stores with 14" lug spacing not to mention a weight limit of 1,000lbs on the TER/MER racks. Just a single Mk-84 on the pylon itself.

Jari

thanks Jari. But IIRC once I've seen a photo of an F-4D carrying up 2 Mk.83 on the port inboard TER (probably on the In Action book)... possible?

Edited by Alpagueur

What Jari means is that a TER has three racks (the bit of the TER that holds the stores), and each rack can hold a maximum of 1000lbs. So a single TER can indeed carry two 1000lbs Mk.83's, provided the pylon on which the TER is mounted on the plane is capable of that weight and/or size.

1 hour ago, Alpagueur said:

thanks Jari. But IIRC once I've seen a photo of an F-4D carrying up 2 Mk.83 on the port inboard TER (probably on the In Action book)... possible?

I don't recall ever seeing a pic of a USAF F-4D with 2 Mk-83s on a TER, the Mk-83 was mainly a USN weapon but the F-105s did carry them as well, rarely. Navy F-4s did but not the AF Phantoms. You have to be careful with captions to photos as some times they don't match up as per this example of a Walleye on a F-14:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6509344

Jari

hah, that is the top secret "skinny lightweight Walleye"

It has been shown to the rest of the world so that they don't know if a Tomcat has air to air or air to ground ordnance.

Same deal happened back in the sixties, with "MK 28" on the centerline captions,,,,,and sometimes they looked a lottttt like an F-4 centerline tank (some were the opposite, too)

2 hours ago, Finn said:

I don't recall ever seeing a pic of a USAF F-4D with 2 Mk-83s on a TER, the Mk-83 was mainly a USN weapon but the F-105s did carry them as well, rarely. Navy F-4s did but not the AF Phantoms.

yes, maybe it was a F-4J sir... I don't remember now... I will try to find that photo if possible.

USAF did use Mk 83s during the Vietnam War. They divested them afterwards to the Navy as the main advantage of them was that they're easier to deal with on a carrier than the Mk 84. They've come into favor again with the advent of the F-22 as they are the largest warhead that will fit in the Raptor's weapons bay.

Were the BLU-1's ever used without the end cap? The photos I see when there are no fins it has the end caps. If I remove the fins from the Hasegawa BLU-1's, there is a flat end at the rear. Would it be OK to remove the fins and leave the flat end? The BLU-27 doesn't always use the end caps so was just making sure if it was OK to do the same on the BLU-1.

BLU-1_Render4.jpg4c74cee3-7876-43fd-ba7e

There is no reason why you couldn't leave the nose/tail caps off the BLU-1 but you may have to add the brackets although they may have been removed as well:

B4938UC002.jpg

Jari

Edited by Finn
BOLT-117 was supposed to be in other discussion.

Just a couple of quick notes here. A friend who works NASM took a few measurements of the BLU-27s hung on their F-100 and we agree that they mounted them backwards, so it looks like the BLU-27s only had a single fill cap on the front section of the bomb. He also confirmed that the front and aft sections of the BLU-27 are the same length (so my photo has some optical distortion). (Official drawings indicate the front section of the BLU-1 was longer than the rear section.) The BLU-27 center section weld seam runs down the right side of the bomb, not the bottom.

An interesting thing I found on the NMAF's A-1E BLU-23 fire bombs last weekend was that the center section flange was not on the bottom of the bomb, but about 45-deg off centerline! The odd thing was that on one it was offset left and on the other it was offset right!! So, there is a pretty good likelihood that NMAF mounted one of their's backwards as well. The other thing I noticed was that the BLU-23 end caps were welded on rather than attached with screws, which makes me wonder if they might have been load trainers (or replicas) rather than actual fire bombs.

Jim most likely the caps were welded when the bombs went to the museum so they couldn't be used again for their intended purpose again. A load trainer would have all functions required for loading and training, except of course for explosive content. In the case of the BLU-32, the caps would be removable to install/check the inert fuze.

Jari

12 hours ago, mrvark said:

Just a couple of quick notes here. A friend who works NASM took a few measurements of the BLU-27s hung on their F-100 and we agree that they mounted them backwards, so it looks like the BLU-27s only had a single fill cap on the front section of the bomb. He also confirmed that the front and aft sections of the BLU-27 are the same length (so my photo has some optical distortion). (Official drawings indicate the front section of the BLU-1 was longer than the rear section.) The BLU-27 center section weld seam runs down the right side of the bomb, not the bottom.

more appropriate the BLU-1s or the BLU-27s for the Casper? TIA.

1449491522746-final_double_print.jpg

On 11/7/2016 at 3:54 AM, Alpagueur said:

more appropriate the BLU-1s or the BLU-27s for the Casper? TIA.

1449491522746-final_double_print.jpg

Alpagueur, are there decals for that F-4D in 1/48? I tried looking but found nothing except for a 1/72 Print Scale sheet but it has a different F-4D with a shark mouth from the same squadron of the one you posted.

Here is the Print Scale with the shark mouth F-4D 66-755. Does anyone have info on this one? I can't find anything on it.

PSL72029_1_zpsnmyduhyg.jpg

On 11/7/2016 at 7:32 PM, Finn said:

A F-105 from Bitburg with napalm:

click on the pic and view the other photos there.

Jari

Thanks for the link Jari, some nice pictures there.   Lots of shots of early -105's.   One I was curious about is this one:

F-105 Thunderchief, FH-,  36th TFW, 23rd TFS, Bitburg Germany, John DeBock, Michael DeBock

One of those Thuds appears to have a camo paint job but it doesn't appear to the usual SEA scheme.  

20 hours ago, twong said:

Alpagueur, are there decals for that F-4D in 1/48? I tried looking but found nothing except for a 1/72 Print Scale sheet but it has a different F-4D with a shark mouth from the same squadron of the one you posted.

I do not know in 1/48... but in 1/32 there is a new Zotz sheet (ZTZ32076)

• 2 months later...