CD72090 - 1/72 P-3 Orion Part 1

15 minutes ago, KursadA said:

That is pretty much the only way that I can do this - I will plan this for later in the year.

@KursadA, Thank you for Steve and others.  Would you also include the early black / engine gray scheme for VQ-1 & VQ-2? 

8 hours ago, Dutch said:

@KursadA, Thank you for Steve and others.  Would you also include the early black / engine gray scheme for VQ-1 & VQ-2? 

Absolutely, thanks very much KursadA and, my EP-3E kit thanks you as well.

Steve

On 3/29/2023 at 2:46 PM, Dutch said:

And I "marked my territory" with a USMC sticker on Nimrod MR.2P XV242 of 42 Sqn at RAF St. Mawgan!  

Small world!  My dad logged 2 hours of flight time in the left seat of XV242 when the Brits came out to Hawaii for RIMPAC ‘86.  He said the most unique feature was the big pipe that ran down  the main walkway of the cabin - part of the hastily installed in flight refueling (IFR) probe that had been added to the aircraft before she headed south for the Falklands.

-Scoobs

2 hours ago, scoobs said:

Small world!  My dad logged 2 hours of flight time in the left seat of XV242 when the Brits came out to Hawaii for RIMPAC ‘86.  He said the most unique feature was the big pipe that ran down  the main walkway of the cabin - part of the hastily installed in flight refueling (IFR) probe that had been added to the aircraft before she headed south for the Falklands.

-Scoobs

I recall going through a Nimrod that RONed at NAS Moffett Field sometime in 1981 or 82. It was majorly different from the P-3 for sure. I took no pics unfortunately so my memory is a bit fuzzy on details. I do recall however that the radar display in the cabin was monstrous compared to the APS-115 at the sensor three station on the Orion. A very different aircraft inside and out. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2023 at 2:00 AM, Paul Boyer said:

And I have a request re: Orions. I have obtained a built Hase kit which is going to need a refinish. I hope to use an aftermarket sheet, but the main stumbling block is the stenciling with the curved wing walks. The built kit's wingwalks have yellowed badly and will need to be replaced. Will you be providing stencils and wing-walks with the new sheet?

Paul, Have you found a set of wing walks for your 1/72 P-3 Orion kit?  I may have a spare set of Minicraft (Scale-Master) for you. PM me.  Kind regards, Dutch

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hoping for VQ-1 markings ( 2013-present ) sooner than later Kursad.  She's getting real close for decals and, as soon as they arrive, they'll be put to use. Hope you had a great vacation and are "recharged".

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7958.png

Very interesting to note of late, there are now two sets of 1/144 masks available for the LS / ARII / MicroAce P-3C/P-3F/CP-140 Orion kits.  The Liliput Air Force set includes masks for the windows and wingwalks and the KV Models set includes masks for the windows and wheels.  Both have the correct center pane which will need to be filed & polished on the kit clear part as it is molded with only a left/right pane and omits the small center pane.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sideshow said:

To me, the EP-3 with no MAD boom looks castrated. This is also a placeholder to keep these sheets alive!

😄

Up to buying 6 sheets now!

After waiting for years now for these Orion decals, my expectations are low that they will be released soon. No snark there, just reality. My Hasegawa kit will stay buried in the queue while I build other kits. 

7 hours ago, Skyraider0609 said:

After waiting for years now for these Orion decals, my expectations are low that they will be released soon. No snark there, just reality. My Hasegawa kit will stay buried in the queue while I build other kits. 

"After waiting for years now for these Orion decals, my expectations are low that they will be released soon."

Let's hope that's not the case, I want to finish my EP-3 sooner rather than later.

Steve

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Steve, if you can't wait...
Here is a png image of the current tail marking. You should be able to copy it, size it, and print it on either clear or white decal paper and print it out.

I made a Port side and Starboard side but I'm pretty sure they use just one type, with the bolt going "forward" on the Port side, and "backwards" on the Starboard (top image).

376258102_2588151968015364_4437883582394204116_n.png

VQ-1 WW.png

Thanks Whitey, I'll see if my buddy who prints his own decals from time to time, can help me with this. Currently however my attentions are focused on the AC-J.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
  • 3 months later...
On 8/10/2023 at 9:11 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

"After waiting for years now for these Orion decals, my expectations are low that they will be released soon."

Let's hope that's not the case, I want to finish my EP-3 sooner rather than later.

Steve

Bump.

Steve

On 3/29/2023 at 11:43 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

That would be great but honestly I need these for my next build.

Steve

https://www.squadronprints.com/uploads/images/products/large/squadron-prints-ep-3e-15760012341421.jpg?v3

I totally agree with Steve and Dutch on this one Kursad. A sheet of Snooper P-3s would be great. I'd especially like to add a VAQ-33 bird to my growing collection of VAQ-33/34 subjects. Fred K.

Edited by f5guy
On 3/29/2023 at 7:52 AM, Dutch said:

@KursadA,

Steve may be on to something here.  With all the different schemes worn by VQ-1 & VQ-2 from early black to later LGG/White to overall LGG.  If you still have room on the sheet, you could throw the WP-3As of VW-4 on there as well; maybe even the EP-3Js of VAQ-33 as well.  If you need to borrow any of the Angelo Romano books on VQ-1, VQ-2, VAQ-33 & VAQ-34, please let me know.

K/r, Dutch

As a little side note gentlemen, for those of us interested in VAQ-33/34 aircraft, I just had a guy 3D print me up some AN/ALE-41 chaff pods, and the ALQ-170 missile simulator pod in 72nd scale. The ALQ-170 pod is the big one near the centerline of the P-3 in the pic that Dutch posted. If anyone is interested in these items, shoot me a PM, and I'll pass the info on to him. They really look great, and I've been waiting for these to come out for years and years! Surely I'm not the only one?  Fred K.

20231205_200202.jpg

VAQ-33-016.jpg

20231220_141337.jpg

R.jpg

20231220_133256.jpg

3 hours ago, sda1976 said:

new tool from Academy (1/72)

IMG_8952.JPG

Hey, where did you see this?  I tried googling Academy 1/72 P-3C Orion and nothing as far as this kit came up. I would like to see more.

Thanks for sharing & Happy Holidays!

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Spring, LA