Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

George Guimaraes

Academy F-4 J US Navy 1/48

Recommended Posts

Hello,

Here goes my latest project, entering the “phabulous” Phantom World. I’ve chosen the Academy kit because I’ve read some good reviews about it. But, I must say it wasn’t a flawless building. I’ve encountered a few issues like a step between the fuselage and the metallic tail cone. Hard to sand there without damaging a lot of details. And also some, IMHO, engineering issues regarding the landing gear bays and legs. These last ended up being slightly off the vertical, unless the real bird is like that, which I doubt. Anyway, perhaps I may have caused some of this problems, but, in the end, I’m quite satisfied with the result. 

Weathering was a balance between the beginning and the end of a cruise, so not that dirty…
Hope you enjoy!

Cheers!68MVkE0.jpg0w9GclD.jpgwjnAclu.jpgDKtngtB.jpgxdBUOCx.jpgt777jRo.jpgt777jRo.jpgFzNCUuH.jpgU78boho.jpgdV3SmbN.jpgIBZQm6m.jpgVrOLei3.jpgOd3nBxF.jpgX1oQ0rC.jpggNXqSXq.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

That is beautiful George!

 

Love the moderate yet restrained weathering, and the pics in the hanger dio are very convincing.

 

Well done!

 

Thank you!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this over at Britmodeller earlier, what a great looking'Toom!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

George,

Nicely rendered "Jolly Rogers" Phantom. Superb application of the grime and weathering,

and the supporting paint job. Really like the engine exhaust nozzles and how you managed

to make them look like the real-deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done, great weathering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2020 at 9:52 PM, The Underdog said:

George,

Nicely rendered "Jolly Rogers" Phantom. Superb application of the grime and weathering,

and the supporting paint job. Really like the engine exhaust nozzles and how you managed

to make them look like the real-deal.

 

Thank you! As for the exhaust area, I tried to replicate the effects of the early engines, that generated a lot of smoke; only from the late 70's they were replaced by smokeless ones. That's why I didn't use too many shades of blue or yellow in the area, but most dark grey or black. Bonus? It was easier.....!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, George Guimaraes said:

 

Thank you! As for the exhaust area, I tried to replicate the effects of the early engines, that generated a lot of smoke; only from the late 70's they were replaced by smokeless ones. That's why I didn't use too many shades of blue or yellow in the area, but most dark grey or black. Bonus? It was easier.....!

 

I've had a love affair with the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II for quite some time.

I know the aircraft pretty well, and can tell you did a splendid job on this one. Also, I'm

not "crippled" with thinking a scale model having to be perfect - as we all know there's

no such thing. Any modeler or fan will find something that could've been done better

or different. So, congratulations on your efforts with this fine looking model of one of

the most iconic 'Fighters' of all-time... the F-4 Phabulous Phantom!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Underdog said:

 

I've had a love affair with the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II for quite some time.

I know the aircraft pretty well, and can tell you did a splendid job on this one. Also, I'm

not "crippled" with thinking a scale model having to be perfect - as we all know there's

no such thing. Any modeler or fan will find something that could've been done better

or different. So, congratulations on your efforts with this fine looking model of one of

the most iconic 'Fighters' of all-time... the F-4 Phabulous Phantom!

 

Well, thank you very much. Words like that coming from someone really familiar with this iconic bird are surely very welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even with the difficulties you mentioned it's still a beautiful Phantom! Navy/Marine Phantoms in Hi-Viz are the bomb...just like the AF F-4E with shark teeth!

Great job on my Phavorite Phighter! 

 

Cheers...Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Ron, beautiful Phantom. Love the hi-viz schemes. Would love to do an F-4B in one of the early colorful schemes, but I have too many in the stash already. Anyway, I'd never do as well as you have with the J. Well done Sir!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

Even with the difficulties you mentioned it's still a beautiful Phantom! Navy/Marine Phantoms in Hi-Viz are the bomb...just like the AF F-4E with shark teeth!

Great job on my Phavorite Phighter! 

 

Cheers...Ron

thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mstor said:

I agree with Ron, beautiful Phantom. Love the hi-viz schemes. Would love to do an F-4B in one of the early colorful schemes, but I have too many in the stash already. Anyway, I'd never do as well as you have with the J. Well done Sir!

Thank you! Those really colorful jets were something else. Not the boring grey scheme we have these days. Furthermore, since most kills today are or will be beyond visual range, maybe cammo patterns will not be so crucial. Just thinking....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...