ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
11bee

Big Changes for the Marines

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Peaches_Sabrina said:

I disagree, the USMC is going back to what it was designed for.  We won't be going back into Afghanistan or any of those other Stans for a while, Iraq is for the most part over one.  China is the biggest threat the US has now.  

Are you sure we won't find ourselves somewhere else?   If so, might as well move all that pre-positioned equipment out of Norway and simply give it to the Army then. 

As far as the Marines going back to what they were designed for, that's not really the case.  They were designed as amphibious infantry with all necessary support built in to their MEU's (armor, arty, air, etc).   Now they are looking at scaling back on a lot of what they historically brought to the party.  I do agree that over the last couple of decades it seemed that the Marines were trying to be everything to everyone (MARSOC comes to mind as a prime example), but this new change seems to take things to the opposite end of the spectrum.  A very specialized force that was built for one particular scenario.  

Edited by 11bee

Could end up in force in South America for all we know.....

Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2020 at 12:36 AM, Peaches_Sabrina said:

I disagree, the USMC is going back to what it was designed for.

Oh??

On 4/2/2020 at 12:36 AM, Peaches_Sabrina said:

We won't be going back into Afghanistan or any of those other Stans for a while

I've heard that one before. Never gets old. That's the magic phrase before we get involved in 2 more. 

So close!

Theres already people saying the next big show is going to be central and south America. Would really hate to get smoked by some cartel guys for lack of armor. Mexican Marines got wiped out fairly recently by sicarios in fact. Luckily we would never get trapped in such a silly predicament!

The big mentality shift and the danger, is that the Marines who have always prided themselves on practically and realism are going to fall prey to the  "we buy big ticket items and sit on them for the ultra sexy mega war that could happen" while ignoring the actual real, violent, pertinent war that's actually occurring. 

Americas 911 force is now only going to take calls from The west Pacific. And this before we get into the fact that China doesnt need to win with the military. They own NBA we got to see that recently. They own silicon valley. We are for sale, and they have the money, and they're buying us. Why they would mess that up with military force I have no idea.  It's a battle of influence and they have more now. The NBA will gladly throw that whole freedom and democracy thing under the bus for the china market. They actually reprimanded employees siding with people protesting for liberty. Theres no amount of military force that fixes institutional rot and subversion, and that of all lessons is one we should have learned in the global war on terror. Turns out theres no amount of shooting tommy taliban that will get a farmer to trust that well bribed corrupt central government we are backing. 

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

On 4/2/2020 at 6:45 AM, 11bee said:

Are you sure we won't find ourselves somewhere else?   If so, might as well move all that pre-positioned equipment out of Norway and simply give it to the Army then. 

As far as the Marines going back to what they were designed for, that's not really the case.  They were designed as amphibious infantry with all necessary support built in to their MEU's (armor, arty, air, etc).   Now they are looking at scaling back on a lot of what they historically brought to the party.  I do agree that over the last couple of decades it seemed that the Marines were trying to be everything to everyone (MARSOC comes to mind as a prime example), but this new change seems to take things to the opposite end of the spectrum.  A very specialized force that was built for one particular scenario.  

Correct 

And as for you saying "this comes from the Corps itself" yes and no. It comes from the commandant who was a former Pacific forces commander... so its kind of like the "why if I had my way!" List but then he got promoted to boss and now he can have his way. 

Theres nothing wrong with a Pacific boss looking at the biggest kid on the block and tailoring his force, but now hes got the whole world to be ready for and is still going whole hog on his old Pacific plans. I can promise you if the CMC fell off the earth tomorrow a lot of these plans would be "adjusted." To put it mildly.