FineMolds 1/72 F-15 at the Tokyo Hobby Show

• 2 weeks later...

As it was possible to expect from the brake down of parts the two seater F-15 is to follow the first releases.

Late this year there should be a modernized F-15DJ with a USAF F-15D close after that.

But early next year a real F-15C should also be boxed.

nQQygBg.jpg

I know it should be in another topic but in spring next year a Thunderbirds F-4E should be released also with a F-4D to follow.

Best regards

Gabor  

On 9/5/2023 at 6:03 AM, Milo said:

...  I don't think I'll be able to resist a least one.  Or two...

Don't hesitate to get your pre-order in [for your 3+ kits] since these, like their Phantom variants, will be going fast!

Gene K

On 9/6/2023 at 7:53 AM, GeneK said:

Don't hesitate to get your pre-order in [for your 3+ kits] since these, like their Phantom variants, will be going fast!

Gene K

I get the distinct impression that you're both the angel and devil on my shoulders agreeing and high-fiving!

On 9/9/2023 at 11:45 PM, Milo said:

I get the distinct impression that you're both the angel and devil  ...

:salute:

So you can place your orders in a timely manner:

The J model is scheduled to ship 25 Sep, followed by the MSIP on 16 Oct according to FM website. The Formation Light and Chaff/Flare dispensers will also be shipped on 25 Sep. Shops like HLJ and Hobby Search will normally have them in stock within two - three days after shipping.  If Stop Order is now in effect, those shops will normally receive more  than reserved, so the opportunity is there to get the kits -- if one moves fast. 

Gene K

• 2 weeks later...

I got a good look at the FM F-15's on display at the show today. They look awesome. Cockpit detail especially looks fantastic, including the avionics bay behind the pilot's seat. The fuselage components breakdown is very well-thought out, especially for ease of painting. They even had the USAF F-15C out. Even though the display model didn't have them, they had a sprue showing the USAF MSIP antenna mods molded into the parts for the font fuselage section. I can't wait to get my JASDF MSIP kit next month. I got the Nano Aviation formation lights set which will dress up the airframe nicely. The only negative is that the HUD parts are a bit on the thick side. Thankfully, I got some PE parts to use there. These kits are definitely a step up from the GWH and Platz kits.

On 8/8/2023 at 12:03 AM, Craig Baldwin said:

@GeneK First look, quite close. The Eagle ladder has eight rungs vs 7. The rear rail looks a bit taller to make it over the intake and a slight steeper angle of the cockpit frame. So relatively small adjustments for a 3D file?

Regular Ladder.jpg

FGeVRw6VUAA3NBQ.jpg

I once made my own F-4 Phantom ladder by using the F-15 one from the old Hasegawa pilot/crew set:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10000497

What I did was saw off the last rung at the bottom ( to make it 7 rungs). Then , to address the rear rail being taller ( as what Craig mentioned), I used a lighter to soften the back of the front rail, then push it downwards & slightly forward to make it shorter than the rear rail.

Wasn't perfect but it worked.  I wish I could locate it now ( I seemed to have misplaced it someplace) so that I could upload a photo of it.

But yeah, I agree with Gene. I'd rather have a ladder included in the Phantom kit.  Hasegawa included it in their decades old 1/72 F-16s, Mirage F-1 & Sea Harrier, so I don't see why FM can't do it now.

You're welcome, Gene! :wave:

Though, thinking about it now, instead of a lighter, I think it's better to use the heat from an incense stick or a heated screwdriver or something.  Back in the day, I had steadier hands, so I used a lighter.

Actually, your query made me look up what's on the market:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/LP72005?result-token=p6PoY

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED72448?result-token=p6PoY

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=&keyword_search=Phantom+ladder&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

I don't quite fancy the PE ones but the 3D printed ones look alright.

But again, I do wish manufacturers like Finemolds would include them.

Here's another interesting video from the head of FineMolds giving his views on the forthcoming two seaters, both Japanese and US.  Among other things, he points out differences in models. The Closed Captioning in US language is very good:

Outstanding to see/hear directly from the big boss, something not usual from other kit makers.

Gene K

For those with Silhouette cutters, I posted canopy masks for the single seaters here. I also posted an svg for folks with other cutters or those who want to trace/cut manually.

Unfortunately the excellent Scale Models Paint Mask site is not well known, but hopefully with the increasing number of cutter owners, traffic (and subsequently uploads) will increase. A great modelling resource with so much potential ... .:thumbsup:

Gene K

15 hours ago, GeneK said:

For those with Silhouette cutters, I posted canopy masks for the single seaters here. I also posted an svg for folks with other cutters or those who want to trace/cut manually.

Unfortunately the excellent Scale Models Paint Mask site is not well known, but hopefully with the increasing number of cutter owners, traffic (and subsequently uploads) will increase. A great modelling resource with so much potential ... .:thumbsup:

Thank you Gene, a great job. Very useful for which I believe will be the go-to Eagle kit in 1/72. Mine arrived a few days ago and no disappointments here.

• 1 month later...

My current bench project is the F-15J J-MSIP by FineMolds. Test fitting and gluing in progress.

I have found detail and fit excellent throughout. Three two minor areas are the top of the intakes with sink marks, filling sanding in progress with Mr Surfacer. On the forward fuselage, aft lower end are some seams requiring blending, with the left side needing slightly more blending.

Future releases seem possible with locating divots on the side of the intakes for the fairing as seen in the final photo.

Good information can be found here  https://thaimilitaryandasianregion.wordpress.com/2017/02/05/mitsubishi-f-15j-japan/

20231111_170856.jpg

20231111_170703.jpg

20231111_171014.jpg

F-aPE2GacAAVg3d.jpg

• 1 month later...

FineMolds has announced that the first boxings of the C kit are missing parts tree "E". Customers are asked to contact FineMolds to arrange for replacement part.

As well this is their holiday schedule.

"As of December 28th, business has ended for the remainder of 2023. We will be open for business from the 5th of the new year, but responses to inquiries, requests for parts, and mail order shipments will be available from the 9th onwards. Please refer to the information in the source post regarding the missing runners for the “F-15 C Fighter” kit."

10977144z14.jpg

Edited by Craig Baldwin
On 12/28/2023 at 8:43 AM, Craig Baldwin said:

FineMolds has announced that the first boxings of the C kit are missing parts tree "E".

Replacement is likely a significant  financial drain on such a small company ... but then, their initial production runs haven't been that large. 

Gene K

FineMolds Fan

• 3 months later...