Atlantis Hercules.

I started the Atlantis re-release of the . Hercules.

My dad was a  Crew member in the mid 50's and this will be a tribute to his service.

Nike Hercules

Obviously an older kit, so I know going in that there are going to be issues.

Sooo, opened the box to see many parts off the tree, luckily there are not a lot of parts so finding off-tree parts has been easy so far.

Some minor molding issues, the tips on two of the guide vanes (fins) were crooked.  Glue and a clamp straightened them out.  The slots for the movable elevators (which will eventually get glued in-place) were not deep enough, so I had to  deepen them by sanding them down.

The 1st stage motor missile attachment isn't smooth, so I  filed/sanded the parts and tried using Vallejo Plastic Putty to fill the seams/gaps, two sides (small seams) worked, and it looks like I will need Tamiya putty for the other two sides.

This isn't a complicated kit, but I am only spending a few hours every Saturday working on it.  I chaperone an on-line DnD session, so I model while the kids play.

Edited by phantom
  • phantom changed the title to Atlantis Hercules.
  • 2 weeks later...

Step one complete.  A bit of filing, putty and sanding to make the exhaust cone fit the 2nd stage body. I'll start putting decals on (if I can find the sheet) this week.  The connecting cone is glued, and I started the four 1st stage boosters.

Step 1

On 11/2/2022 at 10:14 AM, Dutch said:

Me too. Maybe the old Revell 1/144 C-130B kit.

I think Revell Germany has those molds...based on its last appearance was in 1993 in a German-style box.

In 1994 it was released by Matchbox, then in 1996-7 by Hasagawa.

It would be neat in 50's style USAF markings, and Atlantis usually has very good decals.

BTW...The kit was the basis for a somewhat crudely molded (or cast?) metal desk model by a Taiwan firm. While in the Air Force I saw quite a few used as desk models by guys who had been stationed in that part of the world. Its provenance was obvious, it's base was in the shape of the island. 

On 11/16/2022 at 7:27 AM, Dutch said:

Brett, That is a nifty jig you have there!  Where'd you get it? K/r, Dutch

Amazon, Guy who makes them is in the Ukraine.  I'll look for the link this weekend.

A  lot of sanding on the solid fuel rocket cylinders. Some painting and a few decals.  The instruction sheet for the decals seems off.  You get two items (the red dot in front of the U.S. Army on the missile for example), but the sheet only shows one going on the model.  I'll do some internet searching to see if the other decals goes opposite the one shown on the instruction sheet.  I'll do some painting during the week and try to assemble all the sub-components during next week's DnD adventure.

Nike Hercules step 2

@Dutch Here is the link from Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B086ZY4BHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful work you are doing on this kit, and because of the connection with your father makes it more special.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the jig; I ordered one, and now it's holding my current project.

1st stage went together easily.  No additional sanding, and the parts are snug.

Yippee.

2022-11-28_04-34-44

Decals on, and a gloss overcoat.

2022-11-28_04-35-58

All the sub-assemblies are done. 

2022-12-05_10-03-14

The bottom of the first stage isn't level, I'll won't seat it all the way down, and will apply the glue to the lip of the 1st stage assembly.

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress on the launcher.

This is turning into a very frustrating build, I know it's a re-release from old molds, but qc seems non-existant.  I don't see me buying anymore models from Atlantis.

Pin holes are too small for the pins and have to be drilled out (this is something that shouldn't happen).

I'm just going to finish it as quickly as possible, and not worry about the overall construction.  😞

Nike Launcher

• 1 month later...

Three small parts left. (Not sure why two lines are running through the photo.).  I have to drill a cylinder out so the piston will fit in, which is par for this kit.

NIKE HERCULES

Not a fun kit

Brett, Very nice N i k e Hercules! I'll bet if any of them were active they could have shot down that Chinese "weather" balloon. Sorta like hitting a flea with a sledgehammer, tho. 

Edited by Dutch

That was odd. I originally typed "(Greek God) Hercules" and when I hit "submit" it changed my text to say "I am a spammer, please report this post."  So after trying two more times with the same result I typed the name with a space between each letter, "N i k e," which passed muster.

Edited by Dutch
13 hours ago, Dutch said:

That was odd. I originally typed " Greek God  Hercules " and when I hit "submit" it changed my text to say "I am a spammer, please report this post."  So after trying two more times with the same result I typed the name with a space between each letter, N i k e, which passed muster.

Apparently the forum software has a list of keywords that are prohibited, primarily profanity and certain brand names (including a certain shoe brand).  The software subs "I am a spammer, please report this post." in place of the flagged word.

Just Do It.  :thumbsup: