F-16A block 1-10 backdate set

Hi,

I'd like to introduce to you my latest product, a backdate set for Kinetic's new tool F-16A kit. With this set you can easily build a Block 1, 5 or 10 airframe from the kit.

Full%20Set.jpg

All items are a drop-fit replacement, except for the ECS exhaust panel which requires some simple surgery on the kit part.

Beyond the actual provided parts, the instructions also give some detail on adjusting some of the kit parts to more accurately represent and early block model.

Stab%20primer.jpg

(stabilator with some primer)

IP%20Inst3.jpg

IP%20Inst1.jpg

ECS%20Inst2.jpg

ECS%20Inst1.jpg

Available now in my web shop: https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/f-16a-backdate-set

Many thanks!!

Jeffrey

The early block jets also had different gun port plates, does the kit include both types?  If not it would be a required part for backdating.  

Edited by habu2

Looks really good - will use mine on the Tamiya though. But other than the gun port, another important part is missing - the airframe of the engine intake is different on the Block 5 -10. Since I hate re-scribing (and that`s why Iḿ no good at it) I just leave it as it is. Why nobody has come up with a Block 5 - 10 NSI intake is beyond me, with all the different resin intakes for Kin/ Tam/ Hase. So Iḿ looking forward to your instructions which may point out these differences (and how to mend them).

And Jeff - this is the time for new pylons on station 3 and 9. The logical choice is the old pylons, to make your back-date set complete. But the real secret-santa would be PIDS and ECIPS. The old (and terrible) Kinetic had a set of PIDS and Shull24 made some, but they are long gone. PIDS are used by many F-16 users, among them USAF ANG. ECIPS are used by F-16 MLU nations Norway, Denmark, Netherland and Belgium (maybe Portugal). Nobody makes ECIPS for scale modelling - I mean NOBODY! So the floor is yours😄

And with many 3D-printed ACES II coming soon this could be a good year for us Viper builders. Keep up you excellent work Jeff!

Check Six - and build something!

7 hours ago, habu2 said:

The early block jets also had different gun port plates, does the kit include both types?  If not it would be a required part for backdating.  

Yes, two types of gun ports are included in the kit. But now that you mention this, I have neglected to address this in the instructions. (Kinetic's instructions doesn't mention any of the additional parts int he kit that are used for the early airframes. I tried to address that but the gun port slipped through).

5 hours ago, WouldbeIceman said:

Looks really good - will use mine on the Tamiya though. But other than the gun port, another important part is missing - the airframe of the engine intake is different on the Block 5 -10. Since I hate re-scribing (and that`s why Iḿ no good at it) I just leave it as it is. Why nobody has come up with a Block 5 - 10 NSI intake is beyond me, with all the different resin intakes for Kin/ Tam/ Hase. So Iḿ looking forward to your instructions which may point out these differences (and how to mend them).

And Jeff - this is the time for new pylons on station 3 and 9. The logical choice is the old pylons, to make your back-date set complete. But the real secret-santa would be PIDS and ECIPS. The old (and terrible) Kinetic had a set of PIDS and Shull24 made some, but they are long gone. PIDS are used by many F-16 users, among them USAF ANG. ECIPS are used by F-16 MLU nations Norway, Denmark, Netherland and Belgium (maybe Portugal). Nobody makes ECIPS for scale modelling - I mean NOBODY! So the floor is yours😄

And with many 3D-printed ACES II coming soon this could be a good year for us Viper builders. Keep up you excellent work Jeff!

Check Six - and build something!

Yes, drawings for how to "re-dress" the intake surface detail are included.

As for the pylons - you might as well talk in Chinesse to me, I don't know what you're alking about there. The F-16 project was a total cold start for me, had to get up to speed with everything. All I knew was that I'm only really interested in early F-16's and was disappointed that the options are not in the box so I started the research and made these parts, hoping to cover everything possible.

But pylons - hmm, no idea (yet...)....?

J

Hi Jeff et all!

So chinese it is! This is the early pylon for the F-16A/B:022uKXkj8Sxd.thumb.jpg.f142151a5dc8abbe6f4d520470efa8d3.jpg

This is the PIDS used on F-16 MLU and C/D:EPIDS.front.thumb.jpg.214d2aaa5c7e318e0d71aed7ea5dc345.jpg

DSC_0034.thumb.jpg.640848cdf296e1dc9003fa6f13382ac7.jpg

And this is the ECIPS used on later F-16 MLUsRDAF_001-kopi.jpg.151d8b1b096919fb445f42d2be58575b.jpg

The PIDS and ECIPS is a solution to the lack of enough caff and flares. But the ECIPS offers total integration with the whole EW suite of the aircraft, dispensing chaff/ flares automated (if so desired) and also offers warings for missile launches for your F-16. It`s quite an improvement for surviability in todays threat environment and gives the pilot better situational awareness.. On the picture above you see the chaff/ flares buckets closed by plates. These pylons are made by Therma in Denmark.

On the first pic you also see the AGM-119 Penguin 3 ASM - no one makes them either...... Quite an advanced weapon for sinking ships in our fjords. No other nation than Norway used the Penguin 3, but a few uses the helicopter version Penguin 2 (with folding fins++).

Cheers from Norway!

Check Six and build something!

• 2 weeks later...

Got my set the other day. Just 10 days from Japan to Norway!!!🤗 This set is beautiful and Jeff has done a great job with the instructions, guiding the modeller through the mods required to make an early block F-16. The rescribing guidance of the intake sides is a great add on. But I would really appriciate anyone who 3D print an early block intake. You now have the documentation for it - just ask Jeff for permission! We really live in a great times for us modellers!!

Keep up the good F-16 work Jeff - more please! More F-16!

Check Six and build something!

Thank you very much indeed for the kind words!

I'm already well into several other projects so I'm not sure I re-visit the F-16 so soon. The pylons as well as a one-piece intake are certainly interesting propositions but I do think other makers may already have some stuff on the way. We shall see...

Jeffrey

8 hours ago, Niels said:

I don't want to highjack your thread, but early F-16 pylons are available in all 3 scales from 3-D chute experts; 
Facebook 

I've bought them and they are really nice

Wow, I see they also have replacement early vertical tails.  Where does this company ship from?

On 4/9/2023 at 2:54 PM, WouldbeIceman said:

Hi Jeff et all!

So chinese it is! This is the early pylon for the F-16A/B:022uKXkj8Sxd.thumb.jpg.f142151a5dc8abbe6f4d520470efa8d3.jpg

This is the PIDS used on F-16 MLU and C/D:EPIDS.front.thumb.jpg.214d2aaa5c7e318e0d71aed7ea5dc345.jpg

DSC_0034.thumb.jpg.640848cdf296e1dc9003fa6f13382ac7.jpg

And this is the ECIPS used on later F-16 MLUsRDAF_001-kopi.jpg.151d8b1b096919fb445f42d2be58575b.jpg

The PIDS and ECIPS is a solution to the lack of enough caff and flares. But the ECIPS offers total integration with the whole EW suite of the aircraft, dispensing chaff/ flares automated (if so desired) and also offers warings for missile launches for your F-16. It`s quite an improvement for surviability in todays threat environment and gives the pilot better situational awareness.. On the picture above you see the chaff/ flares buckets closed by plates. These pylons are made by Therma in Denmark.

On the first pic you also see the AGM-119 Penguin 3 ASM - no one makes them either...... Quite an advanced weapon for sinking ships in our fjords

3D print AGM-119 available here - Penguin 2 & 3 versions 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403783683174?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cmta4emysca&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=jDMTvb7rQSG&var=673685870410&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

7 hours ago, JEN722 said:

The new Kinetic F-16AM really need a new correct fin base. The one in the kit is way too fat - more like a C/D fin base.

Jens

The 3D chute company who makes the early pylons also makes all of the versions of the early vertical tail.  I ordered a couple and they are in route. 

Even when using all these aftermarket parts, there's still a significant amount of panel line rework needed to back date all the kit parts to the proper early F-16A configurations.  The kit was more or less tooled to be a block 25 or later F-16C that has been upgraded to modern standards.

Here is the 1/48 iteration of the MPM Hobbies Penguins, very fine level of detail, I'm nervous handling it lest I break the fins.  Also a pic compared to the Kinetic parts ...

101148737_MPMPenguin3.jpg

1294282866_MPMPenguin1.jpg

2094934441_MPMPenguin2.jpg

The nose is too blunt - compare with the photo of the real thing - it starts to taper behind the front wings - the 3D print tapers in front of the front wings.  And I believe the Penguin has only one aperture for the rocket motor.

...just to get back on track, my F-16A set is still available directly in my web shop. https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/f-16a-backdate-set

Also, it's now available at Luckymodel and soon at The48ers as well (the shipment went out yesterday).

New F-16A decals are on their way from Bullseye Model Aviation (via Sprue Brothers) and PK Produtions too, so plenty of options 🙂

Cheers.
Jeffrey