CH-148 Cyclone build.

I seldom do in progress threads. However. this is the rarest of rare all resin CH-149 Cyclone in 1/72 scale.

As far as I know, only something like 5 copies of this kit exist. On delivery I received 5 big nicely cast cast resin parts and a bunch of little tiny parts of which I had no idea where they belong. Once the creator supplied instructions I began polishing out the big clear part , the nose. 6 days later its clear-er....ish. The part is now brittle and cracking on me so its as clear as its going to get.

The body of the Cyclone is filled with seats and stuff. Very nicely done and they all fit well.

Now the model sits until tomorrow so I can sand down the putty and wait for the next part of the instructions to arrive by email. DkDeBf8.jpg

dFiTD7p.jpg

6 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I think he was asking which type the kit was marketed as...

Its not marketed. Like I said in the first post only perhaps 5 copies of this resin kit even exist. Might be marketed some day, but not yet. So I don't want to give the creators company name without his permission. I think right now he is just looking at feasibility.

Edited by phantom

Wow, great work on a fascinating kit!! The S-92 is top on my helicopter model wish list although as a particular impatient modeller I do not look forward to the hassle with resin...  But hey: beggars can't be choosers and I did get acceptable results in a resin kit on the S-92- predecessor: the 1/72 S-61N by Whirlybits.

Thank you for keeping us updated, will be following this one with interest. Good luck!!

Edited by GeejeeZ
3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Difficult to discern, but how would you rate the exterior surface detail? 

To be honest, I do not know. Nice and smooth, but what parts go where compared to the real thing?

Used to know all about what I build. But this new CH-148.....just never seen one.

On Facebook one of the other people building this kit have provided lots of great photos. The model is missing a few detail to be certain, however the job the creator did is far better then anything I would have come up with.

Edited by phantom

So would I, as you have seen my basement this would be the ONLY 1/72

3 hours ago, Emvar said:

Shawn,

Like I said very cool...... I'd be in for 1/48th if it happens. 

Cheers

Emil

down there.

Nice interior given the small scale.

Not knowing anything about this helo I went and played in Google.

https://www.canada.ca/en/air-force/services/aircraft/ch-148.html

"

The CH-148 Cyclone is one of the most capable maritime helicopters in the world. It is Canada’s main ship-borne maritime helicopter, and it provides air support to the Royal Canadian Navy.

The Cyclone can be used for surface and sub-surface surveillance, search and rescue missions, tactical transport and more. It can operate during the day or night and in most weather conditions to support missions in Canada and around the world.

"

https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/products/sikorsky-ch148-cyclone-helicopter.html

"

Sikorsky, a Lockheed Martin company, and Canada’s Department of National Defence, lead a team that has designed, built and configured the CH-148 Cyclone for anti-submarine warfare (ASW), anti-surface warfare (ASuW), maritime search and rescue (SAR), overland operations and utility missions.

As Canada’s first true intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) helicopter, the fly-by-wire Cyclone is equipped with a fully integrated mission system, modern sensors and a multi-mission cabin — providing a quantum leap in maritime helicopter capability.

Entry into service with the Royal Canadian Air Force occurred mid-2018 aboard one of the Royal Canadian Navy’s Halifax-class frigates.

A full-authority fly-by-wire variant of Sikorsky’s successful S-92 helicopter, the CH-148 Cyclone helicopter provides exceptional flight handling, and is uniquely qualified to operate aboard Halifax class ships in Sea State 6 conditions.

The fully-integrated mission management system developed by General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada presents a tactical map of sea and subsurface domains to the crew of four, enabling Cyclone to operate independently of its host ship.

In Service Support infrastructure and Maritime Helicopter Training Centre developed by Sikorsky with support from L-3 Communications MAS are in place at Shearwater and Patricia Bay.

"

https://skiesmag.com/features/epic-expedition-proving-ch-148-cyclone-capabilities-north/

"

This summer, the CH-148 Cyclone was tested and found capable of operating in the northernmost reaches of the world. Although the Cyclone is considered a maritime helicopter, Canada’s original statement of operating intent envisioned global operations over land and sea. To realize that vision, some critical systems required further testing in Canada’s northern domestic airspace.

In 2019, planning began to send a Cyclone from its home base at 12 Wing Shearwater, Nova Scotia, to Alert, Nunavut – the world’s most northerly settlement.

“There were some sensors in the aircraft which are critical for the navigation and flight control system that were lacking a bit of technical data to show they would work everywhere,” explained Dany Duval, a civilian test pilot with the Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment (AETE).

"

A couple minor things I told the company about, but I think he has a winner here. Hopefully mass marketing is in the future. Also hopefully in 1/48 scale.

FvjmcVI.jpg7EOOup8.jpgSRORqLq.jpgzbNkPNY.jpg

You did a sterling job Phantom, but I am affraid that has more to do with your modelling skils than with the quality of this kit.

Hey, I know we should be glad someone tackles the subject. I hope for the best but am expecting the worst...

• 1 month later...

Excellent job! 1/72 is hard to get the details right, but this looks pretty good as it's one of few existing kits. I worked extensively on the 148 at the facility that we made them. I have a lot of photos, but most likely not things I could share. Would love to see a kit for this or the S-92 in the future.